• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offended? Karma will hit her back?

Should I still be her friend?

• No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dalia

Mahayana Zen Buddhist and some Shinto
I'm a 14 year old girl who is Buddhist. We don't live in USA by the way. My family raised me into Islam but I never believed in it. Not long ago, my friend came over, she is Muslim and 12. She asked what was that bracelet I'm wearing. The bracelet is a silver chain with the Buddhist symbol charm. I told her I'm Buddhist and not Muslim. She started saying I'm born Muslim, when I'll grow up I'll have to fast and pray to God. I shut my mouth and silence remained for a some minutes. I then changed the topic. When she left, I went into my bathroom and locked the door and started crying. I feel offended and disrespected. :( please help.
PS: On my last thread I was debating if I'm Shinto or Buddhist and ended up picking Buddhism.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm a 14 year old girl who is Buddhist. We don't live in USA by the way. My family raised me into Islam but I never believed in it. Not long ago, my friend came over, she is Muslim and 12. She asked what was that bracelet I'm wearing. The bracelet is a silver chain with the Buddhist symbol charm. I told her I'm Buddhist and not Muslim. She started saying I'm born Muslim, when I'll grow up I'll have to fast and pray to God. I shut my mouth and silence remained for a some minutes. I then changed the topic. When she left, I went into my bathroom and locked the door and started crying. I feel offended and disrespected. :( please help.
PS: On my last thread I was debating if I'm Shinto or Buddhist and ended up picking Buddhism.
Given that you are still a young adult I would definitely walk and talk very softly on this issue. You do not have to believe in Islam but I would not advise speaking out against it especially since you have been raised in a Muslim household. Just smile and outwardly appease.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I feel your pain. I went through the same religious transitions when I was your age. My advise to you is to only "come out" about your beliefs to your closest friends, at least for now. As unfair as it is you are young, and you have to try not make your parents or family too angry or you could end up feeling even worse. Don't loose your new faith, but be careful who you talk to about it.

agorman

Premium Member
I don't believe in karma as is commonly taught: the Universe as a gigantic computer organizing a prize or a revenge for every little good or bad act. But I think your ex-friend will attract intolerance; because she's intolerant. That will cause her troubles in the future, she'll probably learn the hard way. But relax; that's not your business anymore.