• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off to Reform a Religion?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you could reform any one, some, or all of the world's religions, which religion(s) would you reform, and what specifically would you do to reform it or them?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I would reform me first. If I were perfect, I'm sure others would follow... or crucify me.
What makes you think you need to be perfect for that to happen? You can nail just about anyone to a telephone poll, they don't need to be paragons of humanity. I could show you if you want. Try to remember the safety word though.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I could show you if you want. Try to remember the safety word though.
^ Reasons why you are my favorite person.

If I could reform religions I would reform the big two monotheisms for sure. I would kick all the hate, bigotry, discrimination, and violence. I would kick the guilt and fear and forced indoctrinations and conversions. I would kick the political influence and intolerance. I would kick the "one truth all else burn" rhetoric and replace it with all the love bits people try to hold on to. In the end this just amounts to kicking all the radicals and extremists, the intolerant and the violent, leaving behind only your sweet neighbor, colleague, or friend who just wants everyone to be happy.
I'm a dreamer, I know.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I would reform Atheism, into a godless society where machines rule, putting people into pods to generate electricity, while keeping them entertained with computer games and simulated life. Hey wait, how do I get that.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I would reform Atheism, into a godless society where machines rule, putting people into pods to generate electricity, while keeping them entertained with computer games and simulated life. Hey wait, how do I get that.
Third Law of Thermodynamics would like a word with you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Abrahamic religions invented God as a lawgiver and judge, creating a population fearful of divine wrath should they violate convention or tolerate unorthodox thought-crimes -- or allow others to do so.

I would remove this doctrine of lawmaker and enforcer. it's been responsible for too much repression and death.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The Abrahamic religions invented God as a lawgiver and judge, creating a population fearful of divine wrath should they violate convention or tolerate unorthodox thought-crimes -- or allow others to do so.

I would remove this doctrine of lawmaker and enforcer. it's been responsible for too much repression and death.
That was already done. "Where sin increased God's Mercy increased all the more"

Romans 5:20 God's law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God's wonderful grace became more abundant.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If you could reform any one, some, or all of the world's religions, which religion(s) would you reform, and what specifically would you do to reform it or them?
I have actually thought about what I would do to reform Islam if I were a Muslim. (I know, I have no life.)

I would become an Imam, start up my own mosque, make it really hipster and yet as Quran based as possible, and prepare for ISIS to find me and execute me. My execution would purport revolution in the religion and my followers would outnumber the radicals.

Basically I'd be the Mark Driscoll of Islam. Do you know who he is?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That was already done. "Where sin increased God's Mercy increased all the more"
What does this mean?
The Bible's full of passages promising God's wrath for questionable transgressions. Are you saying we can ignore all these strange regulations with impunity?
Romans 5:20 God's law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God's wonderful grace became more abundant.
How does a list of dos and don'ts make us see our sins? And again, this sounds like we're all free to indulge our sins with no consequences.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Catholicism.

Make it more democratic, allow the ordination of women and allow clergy to be married, fix the outdated and illogical sex and gender teachings, stop putting so much emphasis on the Passion (makes it so depressing at times), etc.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would make a point of stating that belief in God is optional in the Abrahamics.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Christianity: Id take out that someone has to die for you to be saved rather Id change it to living to save others.

In Catholicism, Id take out "only catholics can take the Eucharist" and let baptized christians take it

Id reform Nichiren Buddhism to focus more on helping others be themselves in their faith rathe than bring others in to chant Diamoku and practice ours.

Id definitely change Nichiren SGI and put focus on study and practice rather than chanting and leaning on sensei for knowledge

I dont think Id call it reform, but Id find it benefitial that if Pagans are calling themselves by the same name we should have something in common in our given cultures that are core traditions of our practices to take up the name. Pagan faiths are communal just as most faiths are.

Id take out heirarchy in major religions and replace it with roles

And Id let women fulfill their calling to god to be priest and let LGBT community be married in their own church.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
What does this mean?
The Bible's full of passages promising God's wrath for questionable transgressions. Are you saying we can ignore all these strange regulations with impunity?
How does a list of dos and don'ts make us see our sins? And again, this sounds like we're all free to indulge our sins with no consequences.
The gist of it is; God gave the 10 commandments and told people to keep the commandments. Knowing that nobody could keep the commandments perfectly, to the effect that the harder you try to keep them the more you realize that you are a sinner, you are incapable of keeping the commandments because you are corrupted with sin and need a Savior to fix you, and to the best of my understanding is the purpose of death and resurrection.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
^ Reasons why you are my favorite person.

If I could reform religions I would reform the big two monotheisms for sure. I would kick all the hate, bigotry, discrimination, and violence. I would kick the guilt and fear and forced indoctrinations and conversions. I would kick the political influence and intolerance. I would kick the "one truth all else burn" rhetoric and replace it with all the love bits people try to hold on to. In the end this just amounts to kicking all the radicals and extremists, the intolerant and the violent, leaving behind only your sweet neighbor, colleague, or friend who just wants everyone to be happy.
I'm a dreamer, I know.

That's exactly what I did in my mind and heart and ended up a Baha'i.