• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odds of Dying from Covid vs. Being Struck by Lightning

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
331 million Americans, 610,000 of whom have died from Covid. Odds of dying from Covid: 1 in 552.

According to NOAA, the odds of getting struck by lightning in any given year is 1 in 1.1 million.

How Dangerous is Lightning?
I'd be curious to see the COVID odds in the context of being unvaccinated, not wearing a mask, and not social distancing.

Probably similar to the lighting odds if you go outside during storms, stand under tall trees, and hold up a golf club.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd be curious to see the COVID odds in the context of being unvaccinated, not wearing a mask, and not social distancing.

Probably similar to the lighting odds if you go outside during storms, stand under tall trees, and hold up a golf club.

Depends on where they are and whether they increase their risk. You'd have less chance of getting stricken by lightening if you're in the house. You can hold a golf club and still have less chance if any.

Not a one size fits all deal. Even CDC knows this.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I'd be curious to see the COVID odds in the context of being unvaccinated and being isolated from people except for grocery shopping twice a week at closing time when there are only a few people in the store vs.being vaccinated and being around people all the time, including going to restaurants, bars, social gatherings, and being on airplanes and in crowds such as at sporting events.

Oh, I know, even if the vaccinated get a breakthrough infection they will only rarely hospitalized or die. That is the big selling point.

And who is spreading this virus around? The vaccinated who are around people can spread the virus whereas the unvaccinated who are never around people cannot spread it, but nobody ever talks about that on the news because it is not the usual situation. All they do is compare is vaccinated with unvaccinated assuming both groups have the same lifestyles.

I have been struck by lightening twice in my life. Live and learn. I don't go out in thunderstorms anymore.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'd be curious to see the COVID odds in the context of being unvaccinated and being isolated from people except for grocery shopping twice a week at closing time when there are only a few people in the store vs.being vaccinated and being around people all the time, including going to restaurants, bars, social gatherings, and being on airplanes and in crowds such as at sporting events.

Oh, I know, even if the vaccinated get a breakthrough infection they will only rarely hospitalized or die. That is the big selling point.

And who is spreading this virus around? The vaccinated who are around people can spread the virus whereas the unvaccinated who are never around people cannot spread it, but nobody ever talks about that on the news because it is not the usual situation. All they do is compare is vaccinated with unvaccinated assuming both groups have the same lifestyles.

I have been struck by lightening twice in my life. Live and learn. I don't go out in thunderstorms anymore.

Trail. I think it's the "idea" that the unvaccinated as a group choose not to vaccinate with potentially spread COVID, rather than just unvaccinated being open to spread the virus in and of itself. Our individual circumstances should be factors in our decisions and whether or not we put ourselves at a high risk of catching COVID... but these factors really has no play to many vaccinated people (to those who see their counterpart as antivaxxers) just the fact a person is not vaccinated and that's it.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As for the afterlife, it's all conjecture, so who knows who will be surprised. Note the change to 'surprise' to avoid folks not getting the joke.
It won't be a joke if the atheists are wrong about the afterlife, but if the believers are wrong no harm, no foul.

Shaul

Premium Member
Then again you are more likely to be shot to death while living in Chicago than to die from Covid-19.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That isn't true, the afterlife could be something as unpleasant for a theist as it would be for any atheist, if you're the wrong kind.
That's true, atheists could be better off in the afterlife than believers for more than one reason, but that is not what I meant. I meant if believers are wrong and there is no afterlife then the believers will never know the difference. ;)

BTW, I like your new Avatar. :)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
That's true, atheists could be better off in the afterlife than believers for more than one reason, but that is not what I meant. I meant if believers are wrong and there is no afterlife then the believers will never know the difference. ;)

That part is true, and neither will the atheists.

BTW, I like your new Avatar. :)

Thanks!

Wandering Monk

0.045% as dangerous as Covid-19? Maybe it's just because it's early, but I don't understand the point?

I ran across someone saying he was three times as likely to get struck by lightning than to get Covid. I decided to see if that was true. I suspect this has become an anti-vax talking point, so I posted what I found here as sort of a 'heads up.'