• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd Things You Notice

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I keep hearing news about the man in Israel who attacked some soldiers with his car.
They say his profession was "male nurse".
What an odd job description, eh.
I've never heard the counterpart, "female nurse".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There is so few men who are nurse that it is very common to say male nurse. 98% of the nurses are female
Yes, but it's still odd in this PC age that this sexist relic persists.
We certainly wouldn't say that Stephen Hawking was a "crippled
physicist" or that Meow Mix is a "girl physicist".

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, but it's still odd in this PC age that this sexist relic persists.
We certainly wouldn't say that Stephen Hawking was a "crippled
physicist" or that Meow Mix is a "girl physicist".
'Female doctor' would send some into convulsions.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
why is it sexist to say the male nurse or the female nurse? if you point at a group of nurses and they are both male and female, is it not more easy to say you can talk with the male nurse over there, then just point and say talk to the nurse?

Yes there are many female who are doctors too

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
why is it sexist to say the male nurse or the female nurse? if you point at a group of nurses and they are both male and female, is it not more easy to say you can talk with the male nurse over there, then just point and say talk to the nurse?

Yes there are many female who are doctors too
Because 'nurse' is not a gendered noun. The term 'nurse' itself can mean either a male or female one. It needs no qualifiers.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes ofcourse nurse can be both man and woman, but if there is a group of nurses that are both male and female, and someone ask of help, it is more easy to say talk to the male nurse over there.
it has nothing to do with sexism, it has to do with a man chosen to be a nurse.

there are two sexes in this world man and woman, so there is no problem pointing out even in professional title

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes ofcourse nurse can be both man and woman, but if there is a group of nurses that are both male and female, and someone ask of help, it is more easy to say talk to the male nurse over there.
it has nothing to do with sexism, it has to do with a man chosen to be a nurse.

there are two sexes in this world man and woman, so there is no problem pointing out even in professional title
Yes but to say a nurse is specifically male is generally unnecessary. Just say nurse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember when "woman driver" was a thing.
It might now still be one in Saudi Arabia.
Example....
"Hey, look over there.....arrest that woman driver!"

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I've always been slightly irked by the number of people (especially in the US) who say "tuna fish." Nobody ever speaks of "salmon fish" or "trout fish" or "bass fish," just salmon, trout and bass.

Odd quirks of speech tend to hang around for quite a long time.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I've always been slightly irked by the number of people (especially in the US) who say "tuna fish." Nobody ever speaks of "salmon fish" or "trout fish" or "bass fish," just salmon, trout and bass.

I believe in German it translates to tunafish (one word), so it may be a holdover?

Curious George

Veteran Member

I say Tuna (usually) or often the specific type. But I do like "tuna fish" it has a similar cadence to rocky road. Since Sloth loves Chunk, it works well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

So you're saying....
"You can tune a piano, but not tuna fish."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep hearing news about the man in Israel who attacked some soldiers with his car.
They say his profession was "male nurse".
What an odd job description, eh.
I've never heard the counterpart, "female nurse".

I've heard "lady chairman" before. Also, "female mailman," although the preferred term now is "postal carrier."