• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd comfort habits

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
So I felt close to having a meltdown today...to calm down I grabbed my teddy bear, my kosh ball, a chewable toy and a blanket then curled up in the closet...I felt kinda embarrassed this calms me down but it shouldnt be. It felt embarrassing after all I am an adult and here I was sitting in the bottom of a closet like a child. But if it calms it calms me and I should do it regardless if it prevents a meltdown. Doing what you need to do to feel ok is not something to be embarrassed about. I was wondering does anyone else have any odds comfort habits they would like to share?

Vee

Premium Member
I isolate when something is not right. People say it's better to share and ask for help, you know, talk about your feelings and all that. Maybe they're right, but I'm like, leave me alone. I could spend days just listening to music, reading books and drinking coffee.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure I really have any. Teddy snuggling comes close, but given the prevalence of this I'm not sure it's 'odd'.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to sleep in my closet when I was younger and would get very depressed. I don't know why it made me feel better, but it did.

Sometimes I pace or say things that don't mean anything when I'm anxious. I suspect I look odd to others walking back and forth talking about cat farts and the dogs composing symphonies.

VoidCat

I used to sleep in my closet when I was younger and would get very depressed. I don't know why it made me feel better, but it did.

Sometimes I pace or say things that don't mean anything when I'm anxious. I suspect I look odd to others walking back and forth talking about cat farts and the dogs composing symphonies.
I repeat phrases sorta like echolalia. And pace all the time

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Of it gets to much for me i hijack the cat, find somewhere quiet, sit with her on my lap and stroke her head which she loves and purrs loudly. Her purring always calms me.

Kind of like a teddy bear but live.

VoidCat

Of it gets to much for me i hijack the cat, find somewhere quiet, sit with her on my lap and stroke her head which she loves and purrs loudly. Her purring always calms me.

Thats the best way to calm down is a cat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Me too.
One weird thing I do when stressed is fall asleep with the TV on. I don't know this works exactly, especially with flashing and sometimes bright lights being on in the room, and whatever noises, but it somehow helps on utterly restless nights.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

My dad used to randomly sing the neighbors' very long and very complex last name(unbeknownst to the neighbor). I think it was kind of an excess energy tic.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

My sister had a cat I loved. While lying down she'd do that kneading pawing thing on my chest, and she had a cooing purr. She was great for destressing and for a sleep aid.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So I felt close to having a meltdown today...to calm down I grabbed my teddy bear, my kosh ball, a chewable toy and a blanket then curled up in the closet...I felt kinda embarrassed this calms me down but it shouldnt be. It felt embarrassing after all I am an adult and here I was sitting in the bottom of a closet like a child. But if it calms it calms me and I should do it regardless if it prevents a meltdown. Doing what you need to do to feel ok is not something to be embarrassed about. I was wondering does anyone else have any odds comfort habits they would like to share?

When I am extra Anxious I tend to tense up my muscles and hold for a few seconds, as it helps vacate excess energy.

I will also take a bath that is probably unhealthily hot (I get a migraine from the heat/dehydration), but the heat calms me.

Edit: I also sigh A LOT. I take a deep breath in, and let it all out at once through my nose.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I sit down in an isolated place with a blanket and watch my breath--breathe in, breathe out, and watch thoughts and emotions arise and I watch them pass--aka meditation. (You can call your curling up in the closet with your blanket and stuff meditation as well.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

When I was a child, we had a cat that would sleep right beside my head. It was very comforting. "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur."

Gargovic Malkav

Sometimes I pace or say things that don't mean anything when I'm anxious.

Lol, very recognizable.
I used to write down these word salads sometimes.
Your comment made me look them up again and got a few laughs out of it.
One of them goes like this:

Can a new salad come forth?
If so, ring the bell twice.
If not, order me a pizza.
If you don't do anything, know that we know about your affair!
We can and will use that against you!

This, people, is a perfect example of what it can be like in the real world.
There is a time, where you will have to respond to questions thrown at you quickly...

...If you wander aimlessly...
...You will surely fail in your quest...

...slight interruption but I'm gonna continue the story,
so don't mind the mask, please.

And so he was taken by the police.
Then he woke up in a kind of sun-room. It was called as such because it was sunny in there. He got up, and left, as the room was warm but also very boring.
He wanted to call his buddy. He knew it would be useless though. Because his buddy is always stoned when he needs him. And once he's stoned, he's the most annoying stupid **** a man has ever known.

He tore himself out of that dream and was back in class with his presantation and an attending crowd.
"Go on!" the crowd said.
The man was used to the crowd in front him, and never intimidated by it's size and many minds at all.
But this day was different... This day it was like there was something going on and that he was the only one who didn't know about it.

"Excuse me... I gotta go..."

He walked out of the classroom and left a surprised crowd.

Crowds are like amoeba's... They are predators that take on many forms... But they have no brains...

"Where is this story going sir?" a pupil asked.
He woke up from yet another daydream.
"Nothing... nothing at all..." he replied.