• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occupy <your street here>

Trey of Diamonds

Well the Occupy Wall Street local addition arrives in Baton Rouge on Black Friday.

Occupy Baton Rouge

It is close enough that I will be able to check it out at lunch time and offer what support I can.

Anybody else out there near a local Occupy movement? If so, post it here and tell us what you think of your local group and how they are presenting their case to the world. Are you for or against them? Do you think their movement is effective at a local level? Do you think they add weight to the national level? Do you participate or observe? Do you avoid contact with them to the point of going out of your way to go around them?

Jeremy Mason

Anybody else out there near a local Occupy movement?

Yes.the last time I checked was the other week. I don't get out much.:eek:

If so, post it here and tell us what you think of your local group and how they are presenting their case to the world.
As good as they can, I guess.

Are you for or against them?

I'm very much for them. It ****** the hell out of the greedy and rich. :yes:

Do you think their movement is effective at a local level?
I'm in a predominantly Republican area. However, there effectiveness to point out the absurd, ludicrousness of the greedy and rich is abundant.

Do you think they add weight to the national level?

As long as they are allow to. The Occupy Movement has been shut down, in certain areas, by law enforcement, if we can call it that.

Do you participate or observe?
I give when I can.

Do you avoid contact with them to the point of going out of your way to go around them?

Nope. They're my peeps.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm a few hours from Occupy Vancouver and Occupy Victoria. There's no occupy [my town] - it's too small. I haven't been there. I am getting a kick out of Occupy Vancouver. They were ordered by court injunction to clear out of the Vancouver Art Gallery square (I have a soft spot for that place for activism, as it was a protest there 20 years ago that opened my eyes to first nations sovereignty issues). Instead of kicking up a fuss, they packed up and moved a block south to the courthouse. The city pitched a massive hissy fit and went back to court, where they got another injunction (our judges are appointed by our politicians). So the occupation moved again, to Grandview Park (I have a soft spot for that park too - I used to live nearby). That's where they are now.

24 Hours Vancouver

The Premier of BC herself has pitched a public hissy fit in a press conference, which I found absolutely hilarious.

I love this stuff. :D

Here is Vancouver's website: Welcome - Occupy Vancouver

Victoria is not doing as well - it's a small, wealthy city with an older population and a provincial capital, so the momentum there is weak (peak attendance of about 200 people). They've been ousted.

Police clear Occupy Victoria site

Their website: Occupy Victoria | People&#039;s Assembly of Victoria | Victoria BC

Alceste

Vagabond
leHkn.jpg

Don't know where the top picture is from, but the bottom one is Vancouver Art Gallery.

Rakhel

This forum is full of the OWS protest which I have visited many a time and happen to live only a boat ride a way from. The only thing they have managed to accomplish here is angering the locals. They yell at kids, have forced some businesses to fire workers due to lack of business, and make it damn near impossible for those that do have a job from getting to their job. The NYPost is full of letters to the Editor of people complaining about them. One even called them the bottom 1% of the 99 they claim to represent.
Am I for them? They need to go home. Be it the Florida woman that abandoned her family or the wanna-be hippies from San Fransisco. They need to go home.

Trey of Diamonds

Update, the Occupy Baton Rouge movement has been postponed till 12/10/11, permiting issues. If it actually happens I'll try to get some pics.

Alceste

Vagabond
Occupy Vancouver is still going. They have events planned until December 12, when they are hoping to do a coordinated West Coast port shut-down.