• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occasio-Cortez on Medicare for all.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
Like threatening private citizens with subpoena power she does not yet have (and may never have)? I'm not entirely sure I want politicians to have that kind of leeway.

You have already shown to have a negative disposition toward this person, I am gonna have to ask for a source.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That is not what I meant. I mean they get things wrong all the time.
Okies. Good enough. Oddly, I am quite enjoying this discussion. I hope I'm not being too much of a negative Nelly on this.

I think I saw a link to the video in the Polticfact article.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If that is a violation of conduct what do you think of Trump threatening House Democrats that he will investigate them if they investigate him?
Congress are not private citizens. BIG difference. C'mon, even Democrats are not cool with her saying this.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Congress are not private citizens. BIG difference. C'mon, even Democrats are not cool with her saying this.
So what she said would not be obstruction of justice. Trump threatening Congress would be abuse of power and obstruction of justice. So you are right, it is different.

youknowme

So what she said would not be obstruction of justice. Trump threatening Congress would be abuse of power and obstruction of justice. So you are right, it is different.
I also can't imagine it is legal to attempt to blackmail members of Congress.

averageJOE

zombie
So it seems to me the theme of this thread is...we can't have Medicare for all because AOC is ignorant. Prescription drugs cannot be reasonably priced because AOC is ignorant. Americans have to continue to go bankrupt when they get sick because AOC says dumb things. Health care shouldn't be a right because AOC says ignorant things.

Shad

Veteran Member
If that is a violation of conduct what do you think of Trump threatening House Democrats that he will investigate them if they investigate him?

POTUS is not bound by Congressional ethic codes, context, but by conflict of interest clauses and Constitution authority. POTUS has the power to order an investigation. While I completely acknowledge the optics of malicious intent such intent must be proven for the order to be illegal. What Cortez did was outright illegal to do to a private citizen by her very tweet.

Shad

Veteran Member
So it seems to me the theme of this thread is...we can't have Medicare for all because AOC is ignorant. Prescription drugs cannot be reasonably priced because AOC is ignorant. Americans have to continue to go bankrupt when they get sick because AOC says dumb things. Health care shouldn't be a right because AOC says ignorant things.

No. Just poking fun at one of the advocates for it that merely parrots rhetoric instead of creating an actual plan with something called details.

Shad

Veteran Member
So what she said would not be obstruction of justice.

No as she is threatening a private citizen not an investigation.

Trump threatening Congress would be abuse of power and obstruction of justice. So you are right, it is different.

Trump as POTUS has the authority to start any investigation he pleases. The order can only be ruled illegal after SCOTUS determines it is unconstitutional thus a court case.

Cooky

Veteran Member
As a middle class person, I have never had a problem with healthcare.

I will let the homeless fight their own fight.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Once again I've brought up my concerns about Bernie Sander's proposed medicare for all. Hopefully, this time the OP's author will address and discuss these concerns.

I'd prefer affordable health care be paid by the recipients of medical services rendered rather than everybody's medical bills paid by taxpayer funds.

The cost to taxpayers for paying every dollar of everybody's health care is prohibitively expensive at currently reasonable levels of taxation.

Annual U.S. Healthcare spending is somewhere around $3.4 trillion and military spending is a bit over $700 billion. We as a nation spend nearly 5 times as much on health care as we do on the military. There is already taxpayer assistance for healthcare insurance to the most needy, the elderly and poor. Medicare and medicaid costs taxpayer's twice as much as military spending.

The top line of the paper’s abstract (re: medicare for all proposed by Sen. Bernie Sanders) says that the bill “would, under conservative estimates, increase federal budget commitments by approximately $32.6 trillion during its first 10 years of full implementation.” According to the paper, even doubling all “currently projected federal individual and corporate income tax collections would be insufficient to finance the added federal costs of the plan.” ...:eek:

The Cost of 'Medicare-for-All' - FactCheck.org

There isn't any current single payer system where taxpayers pay all the medical bills of everybody. For example, dental and vision care aren't covered by tax payer funded health insurance in most developed nations, and there are usually co-pays and deductibles for most medical services covered by any single payer system.

Insured cost sharing of medical bills keeps the health care system supply and demand in order.

If taxpayers were to fund every dollar of everyone's medical bills, then there'd be a shortage of providers, unreasonable wait times for getting basic services, and health care rationing.

Well to-do-individuals or workers should be personally responsible and held legally accountable for having adequate health insurance or otherwise paying off any debts they owe to medical providers.

We of the privileged class don't expect the commoner folk to pay health care for the privileged class, like what would happen if taxpayers pay everybody's health insurance.

I've always supported medicaid for those living below the poverty level, or medicare for senior citizens, otherwise the uninsured living above poverty should be held accountable for their choice not to be covered with health insurance. The unemployment rate is now 3.7 percent, most employers do offer health insurance; anybody who wants access to health insurance nowadays, can get it. If people are too lazy to apply for medicaid or if they are too lazy to get a job with health insurance, then they should be held accountable to pay any of their debts to the doctor, health clinic or hospital; if they persist on refusing to pay their medical bills, then their assets or future assets should be seized and sold off towards paying their debts to the doctor, medical clinic, or hospital.

Below is a plan summary for making health care more affordable for most Americans. ...:)

https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/AmericanPatientsFirst.pdf

Rand Paul offers an interesting plan to make health care insurance more accessible and affordable.

Rand Paul offers interesting plan to dramatically transform U.S. health care system

youknowme

People do realize that they are already paying for other people's healthcare, right? That's how insurance works, no matter if it is by Corporate America or the government. Of course, with Corporate America you get the for-profit tax added on. I would think that with the more people paying into the same system there would be less variance in the flux of overall cost.