• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Occasio-Cortez on Medicare for all.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
I support this healthcare plan because healthcare is a right. What kind of prolifer denies people what they need to live? Don't people have the right to live?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I would say that universal healthcare is moral, ethical, and also makes economic sense. But I would stop short of calling it a "right".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would say that universal healthcare is moral, ethical, and also makes economic sense. But I would stop short of calling it a "right".
Fair enough. It's certainly not a legal right in the USA at this time in any event.

Ellen Brown

Are we speaking of America?

I've almost always had health care of some sort, and was gainfully employed enough to pay what they asked for it, so I will admit that I have been blessed.

Still, the question always becomes, how is it paid for? In the places where I worked from 1970 to 2003, the profits were such that costs were just covered by the employer. In my youth, we had no health care but Doctors did not seem to charge much, or let us pay in payments or chickens and flour. Since 2003, I've been on Social Security or something. This was an account that everyone that worked paid into, sort of like a savings account. Once in a while the Government tries to mess with it and treat it like their own pot of Gold.

So, what we are really spouting off about is how do we get the Unemployed and Immigrants health care? I can agree that we have a moral need to help them, and that any provision made to help them needs to be done decently and in order. I have encountered those who insist that their public dole is their right, but those who are able should work to help pay for their lifestyle. I've spoken with those who have more babies so they will get more money. I am sure that there are myriad other ways to abuse the public good will, but let's not speak of that.

My own parents worked at below minimum wage jobs their whole lives, and to my knowledge did not get any public help. In the 50s I was paid 25 cents an hour, but as I grew up was able to get higher pay. It was a blessing to be white. Racism was so entrenched that no one spoke of it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I support this healthcare plan because healthcare is a right. What kind of prolifer denies people what they need to live? Don't people have the right to live?

If we follow her thinking then eating--IMHO--is waaay more important than healthcare. Why aren't we feeding everyone for free?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sounds workable to me.
But she'd be the last person I'd want designing the system.
I would prefer it not be designed. I'd calculate the true cost and set the premium accordingly with one tweak to use the same age-related cost basis as private insurance does.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If we follow her thinking then eating--IMHO--is waaay more important than healthcare. Why aren't we feeding everyone for free?
Where does "free" come in in this context?

As far as free food goes, I volunteer with an organization that collects surplus food and distributes it to charities that indeed distribute it with no charge to the recipients. That also applies to clothing.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Where does "free" come in in this context?

As far as free food goes, I volunteer with an organization that collects surplus food and distributes it to charities that indeed distribute it with no charge to the recipients. That also applies to clothing.

My bad. I should have said "...and let someone else pay for it...".

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'd prefer my tax dollars paying for my healthcare....instead of my tax dollars going into the pockets of corrupt corporations.

Seems fair.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
And the darling of the left doesn't have a clue about just about anything to do with anything
All statements involving Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez | PolitiFact
The Misleading Claim That $21 Trillion in Misspent Pentagon Funds Could Pay for ‘Medicare for All’

When the Democrats get tired of just attacking the President why don't they list their agenda for the country? Tell you why, they don't have one.

No one has one and it's because the oligarchs have a stranglehold on our system. We should ALL - Dems, GOP, independents - make our first priority defeating and defanging the oligarchs. Until we do that, there will be no workable solutions coming from any camp.

She could have just pointed out that American taxpayers already pay for a universal healthcare system, they just don't receive one.

US public healthcare spending per capita is already higher than most European countries that provide universal care, on a par with Germany and Sweden.