• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure question regarding "jewishness", //opinions welcome

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This is a obscure question, but I could have sworn that a Rabbi discussed the spiritual religious aspect going from father to son, ]]knowing that generally in judaism, jewishness is from the mother.

Any answers welcome, or your own ideas.

Last edited:

rosends

I'm not clear on what a "spiritual religious aspect" is. The tribal identity (and caste identity) passes from father to son while the religion goes from mother to child.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not clear on what a "spiritual religious aspect" is. The tribal identity (and caste identity) passes from father to son while the religion goes from mother to child.
I think it means the spiritual inclination. This may be completely innacurate, however the idea was interesting.

Last edited:

rosends

I think it means the spiritual inclination. This may be completely innacurate, however the idea was interesting.
That's still a bit vague. Is it saying that a child models himself after what he sees others doing and a father's observance would have an impact on a son? That's a function of parenting.In Jewish thought, the caregiving and, in some sense, emotional/spiritual center is the mother.
I find it a bit odd that jewishness would not go from father to son, as well.
In Orthodox Judaism, matrilineal descent is the rule. There are textual hints to it in the written Torah, plus historical reasons why it developed as normative.