• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OBOD Course

rocala

Hi, I recently received some introductory material for the Order of Bards Ovates and Druids course, Bardic grade. It has certainly aroused my interest, so I wondered if anyone else has done or is doing the course. Any comments or opinions very welcome.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. What did you want me to comment on? I have pages upon pages of material I wrote during the course of the... er... course. *laughs*

(clearly, this thread is to remind me to finish my Bardic grade review, which I have been stupid lazy about doing)

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Yep, I am currently working through it with my wife. I'm about a month ahead of you. :)

I've been trying to withhold criticism of it for now and just learn the way by following the way. I will give you fair warning, though, you really get a lot of material past the introduction. Plan to set dedicated time to go through it. Spend at least an hour a day if you can.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay. Yeah. So something you'll have happen, is that when you get to the end, you will have a hell of a time writing the review. You only need to do that if you plan to apply for the Ovate grade (which one does not need to), but they don't want you to write a book for them. Somehow, you have to compress and package a year-long journey that was full of surprising twists and turns into a few pages.

Verbose person I am, this is hard. XD

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Yup. What did you want me to comment on? I have pages upon pages of material I wrote during the course of the... er... course. *laughs*

(clearly, this thread is to remind me to finish my Bardic grade review, which I have been stupid lazy about doing)

Nothing like a bunch of rookies chasing to remind you that you should be finished already. :p I'm actually trying not to rush through -- I'm a heavy reader and I could pound through it all in a day, but I am trying to let all the layers of my being keep pace this time. I don't care if I finish it on time, but I think I will anyway. :)_

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The way the course is structured, it's important to let the ideas percolate. Rushing misses the point of the journey... which will make more sense when/if one gets to the end.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Okay. Yeah. So something you'll have happen, is that when you get to the end, you will have a hell of a time writing the review. You only need to do that if you plan to apply for the Ovate grade (which one does not need to), but they don't want you to write a book for them. Somehow, you have to compress and package a year-long journey that was full of surprising twists and turns into a few pages.

Verbose person I am, this is hard. XD

They recommend you write a journal, so I guess as an OBOD newb to any other OBOD newb I'd recommend this as a critical step. I've already begun to start jotting things down. I suffer from your affliction as well, but I think it is more important that I focus my writing on my impressions/emotions and that doesn't take so much to write. :) I think no matter what I am doing as far as practical methods I will suck less at it in a year. :) I've been using Evernote to collect stuff from the web and store my writings for now, and the great thing is that it works with your phone (which allows you to take pictures, and do audio) and store them alongside. So now I have dictations, writings, triads I've read, pictures I've taken for inspiration, and everything else in my pocket. Gotta love tech. :) There are also easy ways to share links to your content so you can give them to others.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The way the course is structured, it's important to let the ideas percolate. Rushing misses the point of the journey... which will make more sense when/if one gets to the end.

I've basically been using the "memorizing the triads" as a reference of how fast to proceed. I'm usually seeing that it takes me about a week to keep them in my head, and I figure that if it takes longer it is because there is more material. I don't care if it takes a week or two weeks, or a month to get a lesson down. Everyone is different, but I found memorizing the triads to be really important. (Lots of a-ha moments involving those, so far.) When I first received the course they are probably the part I thought was the least important! :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the triads are fun. Important thing to remember about them, I think, is the point of them isn't some sort of literal truth or dogma. They're pithy wisdom sayings for contemplation. I stuck the one down in my signature because it's one of my favorites, and a good piece of advice for posting about our forums here. :D

rocala

@Quintessence , @Mindmaster , many thanks for the comments so far, they are encouraging. I guess at this stage I am seeking reassurance on the quality and structure of the course. I have never formally studied any form of spirituality nor have I had any actual contact with Druidry, so I am a little unclear.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To use an analogy, say your religious journey is like navigating through a deep forest. The OBOD course provides a map of some trails in the forest, along with some sign posts. It gives you just enough structure for exploring that forest, without being imposing. As such, the journey through that forest becomes your own, and will be experienced in different ways by different people. The trail will take you to different landmarks, encourage you to stop, pause, and enjoy a particular scenic vista.

You get out of it what you put in. I do not recommend the course for outdoor recreationalists. When folks go out into "nature" for "recreation," they're doing it for exercise, leisure, or conquest - not to relate and connect with the spirits of the land. If that connection happens, it's incidental rather than the main intention of the activity. If one has no intention of engaging the landscape in a meaningful way, the course should not be undertaken at this time.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
@Quintessence , @Mindmaster , many thanks for the comments so far, they are encouraging. I guess at this stage I am seeking reassurance on the quality and structure of the course. I have never formally studied any form of spirituality nor have I had any actual contact with Druidry, so I am a little unclear.

I can honestly say the production value is the highest I've seen, but more than that the community is the best I've been involved with. You are not wanting for anything, and when you are confused you get nearly instant responses. There is no other school of esoteric or spiritual investigation that even comes close, and I've seen a few. You get access to a forum, an individual tutor, a group of general tutors (for quick questions), and a boatload of instructional material for a very low cost. I don't even know how they do it for what they charge, tbh. Just to give you an idea, if you ask them a question during UK hours most of the time you are getting answers <1 hour. They have very high levels of support, and someone answers the phone when you call them.

If you are only having the introductory course at the moment, you haven't even seen the full quality materials. The intro material is printed on some cheaper paper. the audio CDs are a little less produced, and you haven't seen the ritual books/seasonal books yet. It's worth it, after the first real Gwers came in the mail I have had no doubt of that. :)

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You get out of it what you put in. I do not recommend the course for outdoor recreationalists. When folks go out into "nature" for "recreation," they're doing it for exercise, leisure, or conquest - not to relate and connect with the spirits of the land. If that connection happens, it's incidental rather than the main intention of the activity. If one has no intention of engaging the landscape in a meaningful way, the course should not be undertaken at this time.

I think the love of nature is the key, but all of those other things you've mentioned are self-love. :) (I feel great because I beat the environment, I am here so I can escape work, I am here so I can look pretty, etc...) If you are a naturalist of some sort already in that you enjoy studying plants, animals, and stones you are going to get a lot of out of the course. Those folks already have a love of nature in a real way so the transition is much less difficult.

I think if you come to nature looking to learn you will have the right mindset and do well. I'm always curious in that regard so I find it pretty easy. :)

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I am curious. What is good and accurate information about the OBOD? Would this be accurate: http://www.druidry.org/about-us/about-order (accurate as in, it's what it is and not something else entirely different)

How would you describe it?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I am curious. What is good and accurate information about the OBOD? Would this be accurate: http://www.druidry.org/about-us/about-order (accurate as in, it's what it is and not something else entirely different)

I just wanted to add, there is a public forum here:

http://messageboard.druidry.org

That doesn't require OBOD membership to read/post and there are non-member/open sections. Most of your questions could probably be answered there if not on the druidry.org facing page itself. :) I feel that sometimes these types of resources are more organic and easier to understand.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I think you get a better sense of OBODs style by listening to DruidCast, which is a podcast available for free on iTunes and perhaps some other platforms. That was my first exposure to it. If I had to describe it in a really short sentence, I would say OBOD is like Unitarian Universalism, only with a more explicit focus on our non-human relations and the creative arts. Which is basically to say that it's non-dogmatic, syncretic-friendly, and build-your-own-path. While technically OBOD Druidry is described as being mixable with any religious path, it leans pretty heavily on the contemporary Pagan end of things.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
At the recommendation of a forum member in this thread, I subscribed to the DruidCast podcast and I'm 2 episodes in. I must say - I'm intrigued.

I only know a brief history so far and that I like the music SO - can someone tell me more about the course mentioned by the OP? Is it lengthy? Price? Where should I start?

Thanks in advance!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you consider at least a year to be "lengthy," then yes, it is lengthy; you can check prices on their website and also order just an introductory set to check it out before getting the entire thing. Even if you get the entire thing, you can cancel at any time.

Faronator

Genetically Engineered
If you consider at least a year to be "lengthy," then yes, it is lengthy; you can check prices on their website and also order just an introductory set to check it out before getting the entire thing. Even if you get the entire thing, you can cancel at any time.

You've done it correct? Did you benefit from its teachings personally? And did you learn anything about herbal medicine? Herbiculture? Living off the land more importantly - and methods of meditation (not just their benefits).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You've done it correct? Did you benefit from its teachings personally? And did you learn anything about herbal medicine? Herbiculture? Living off the land more importantly - and methods of meditation (not just their benefits).

There are three grades with OBOD, and I've done the first of them. I'm not sure how you could embark on a journey like this and not benefit personally, but one thing that stands out about how OBOD does things is it is not merely about personal benefit as it is with some paths of contemporary Paganism. There's an emphasis placed on being of service and aiding something greater than yourself.

All that said, if you want to learn about the specific stuff you list here, the OBOD course is not for that. The Ovate grade might cover some of that, but the OBOD training really is not about "technical aptitude" for lack of a better way of putting it. If you want someone to tell you what to think (which is what learning about herbal medicine and living off the land would be), the OBOD courses aren't going to get you that. They're exploratory journeys - there are bits of "lecture" material here and there, but it's to facilitate open-ended wandering, not fact-based memorization of content like "this herb does this" or "do this for meditation." It's just not that prescriptive.