• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Objections against Hinduism?

james bond

There is difference between saying everyone goes through rebirths and between saying "this specific religious leader was reincarnated as that specific boy". There is no Hindu analog for this, nor any mention of such ability in Buddhist texts, and it is a transparent attempt to ensure dynastic succession of Tibetan Buddhist leaders.

It's an example of how the belief in rebirths can lead to political turmoil. It's the same with belief in rebirths. We're too far removed to be divided over this, but I'm sure the division exists in Hinduism and Islam.

james bond

Shouldn't make assumptions mate. Most of the Hindus on the forums are Americans. Vinayaka's Canadian. Sayak83's an Indian resident in the USA. I am British.

Well, it wasn't to offend. I have to start the conversation somewhere and that is by stereotyping people because I know none of you. If you don't want me to butt in, then I'll just leave. I've said my piece.

Kirran

Premium Member
Well, it wasn't to offend. I have to start the conversation somewhere and that is by stereotyping people because I know none of you. If you don't want me to butt in, then I'll just leave. I've said my piece.

I was just clearing you up on that one :)

Incidentally, I'm a religious person and a supporter of leftist policies, and I have to say I don't find your analysis corresponds to the realities on the ground.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody is offended. Its just that much of what you have said do not seem relevant to Hinduism per se.
However, if you are interested in knowing about the religion. Here is a introductory easy to read resource.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/media/books/what-is-hinduism/web/intro.html

This is part of a booklet. The Table of Contents is navigable from the upper left. Hope it helps.

Note:- all the views in the booklet does not necessarily reflect the views of anybody here (including mine). So asking first if someone holds a certain view or not would be most welcome. Thanks.

:)

james bond

Nobody is offended. Its just that much of what you have said do not seem relevant to Hinduism per se.
However, if you are interested in knowing about the religion. Here is a introductory easy to read resource.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/media/books/what-is-hinduism/web/intro.html

This is part of a booklet. The Table of Contents is navigable from the upper left. Hope it helps.

Note:- all the views in the booklet does not necessarily reflect the views of anybody here (including mine). So asking first if someone holds a certain view or not would be most welcome. Thanks.

:)

I think this is where we'll have to agree to disagree. I already stated I didn't know much about Hinduism when I arrived here, but what I knew I got from the sources I listed in post #52 and from interacting here so I was able to make my objection and that was young earth creation vs old earth creation which can be another thread for another day. The experience I've gained with attending Buddhist services in the city where I reside is similar to when I attend Christian services and that is my mind becomes in tune with God afterward or aligned as a vertical straight line above from the horizontal perpendicular line. This is expressed in the cross. The vertical line perpendicular to the horizontal line leads to God. It represents there is only one truth. So, the question becomes which religion is the truth? I don't know, but what I do know is it is very easy to be one degree off and end up in the far away from the truth if one keeps walking even only one degree askew. So, my view is one has to be certain they are in tune with God. If your services does this, then I think you are fine. In Christianity, there are priests, Bible leaders, books and websites to help find the right path or frame of mind, but it's a journey one has to decide for himself or herself and then be certain they are in tune with God.

When I was searching for God as a young man, one of the things I read was a description of God from Gandhi. It was the the feelings involved that reached me -- Gandhi's Views On God . Eventually, Gandhi was lead to Christianity and the Bible in his later life which he agreed with in spirit and he said Jesus supports Gandhi -- Gandhi's message to Christians - Africa needs Gandhi . Unfortunately, he was rudely greeted by the church he attended because they thought he was a homeless person. He did not make his arrival known or give advance notice and he was dressed as a pauper. It was shameful for Christians and I think that is the reason for what he said in this piece. To this day, these things still happen as we still judge a book by its cover or a person by their appearance. We should judge people by their acts like what Jesus said and what Gandhi said but it seems to be not something our minds do not readily accept.

james bond

I was just clearing you up on that one :)

Incidentally, I'm a religious person and a supporter of leftist policies, and I have to say I don't find your analysis corresponds to the realities on the ground.

I don't think anyone is free from stereotyping or making assumptions of people they are not familiar with. In fact, I was insulted by sayak82 who didn't think I read a book called Darwinian Fairytales pointing out the follies of evolution by the author. Then he expected me to read another of his books while I pointed out I already studied it. I didn't think he was going to read my book nor the Bible. Anyway, it is part of young earth vs old earth and now I know why he objected. Again, the topic for evolution vs creation and another day.

Most would avoid the topic of Hinduism, but thought I butt in to learn something about a religion I wasn't familiar with. It helped explain the roots of my girl friend's Buddhism. However, I think the Buddah (both Sakyakuni Buddah and Shiran Shonin) or enlightened ones are both placed on a pedestal and given the same reverence as God which seems odd to me. They may have reached a deep meditation state where they can die and their bodies preserved, i.e. mummified, or their bodies burned and be able to cast aside their pain in death but they're still human or materials. They can be brought to a state of dust the same.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this is where we'll have to agree to disagree. I already stated I didn't know much about Hinduism when I arrived here, but what I knew I got from the sources I listed in post #52 and from interacting here so I was able to make my objection and that was young earth creation vs old earth creation which can be another thread for another day. The experience I've gained with attending Buddhist services in the city where I reside is similar to when I attend Christian services and that is my mind becomes in tune with God afterward or aligned as a vertical straight line above from the horizontal perpendicular line. This is expressed in the cross. The vertical line perpendicular to the horizontal line leads to God. It represents there is only one truth. So, the question becomes which religion is the truth? I don't know, but what I do know is it is very easy to be one degree off and end up in the far away from the truth if one keeps walking even only one degree askew. So, my view is one has to be certain they are in tune with God. If your services does this, then I think you are fine. In Christianity, there are priests, Bible leaders, books and websites to help find the right path or frame of mind, but it's a journey one has to decide for himself or herself and then be certain they are in tune with God.

When I was searching for God as a young man, one of the things I read was a description of God from Gandhi. It was the the feelings involved that reached me -- Gandhi's Views On God . Eventually, Gandhi was lead to Christianity and the Bible in his later life which he agreed with in spirit and he said Jesus supports Gandhi -- Gandhi's message to Christians - Africa needs Gandhi . Unfortunately, he was rudely greeted by the church he attended because they thought he was a homeless person. He did not make his arrival known or give advance notice and he was dressed as a pauper. It was shameful for Christians and I think that is the reason for what he said in this piece. To this day, these things still happen as we still judge a book by its cover or a person by their appearance. We should judge people by their acts like what Jesus said and what Gandhi said but it seems to be not something our minds do not readily accept.
Its good to see you have an open mind on Gandhi, Hinduism and Buddhism. :) We will have our differences regarding age of the earth and evolution (ongoing thread elsewhere) but otherwise I wish you the best in your journey in Christianity. :)

Indian religions have a far less exacting idea regarding one's path to God (or Truth or Brahman). Every river, no matter how much meandering, goes into the sea, and so does every Self travels to Brahman or God . But some pathways are easier and other are laid with thorns of frustration and suffering. That is where the discernment of the correct path comes for Hindus. But there is little fear of getting permanently lost.

Jedster

Its good to see you have an open mind on Gandhi, Hinduism and Buddhism. :) We will have our differences regarding age of the earth and evolution (ongoing thread elsewhere) but otherwise I wish you the best in your journey in Christianity. :)

Indian religions have a far less exacting idea regarding one's path to God (or Truth or Brahman). Every river, no matter how much meandering, goes into the sea, and so does every Self travels to Brahman or God . But some pathways are easier and other are laid with thorns of frustration and suffering. That is where the discernment of the correct path comes for Hindus. But there is little fear of getting permanently lost.

Indeed. We are all being pulled towards the centre of the Earth. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

As am I leftist leaning. Personally I see politics and religion as basically two totally different stratas of consciousness, hence why I couldn't understand how political economics was in this thread at all. But now I've learned that others differ as to the connection.

Kirran

Premium Member
As am I leftist leaning. Personally I see politics and religion as basically two totally different stratas of consciousness, hence why I couldn't understand how political economics was in this thread at all. But now I've learned that others differ as to the connection.

To stretch the metaphor too far, I've leaned so far left as to have fallen over.

I see your point, although I think that they can't help but inform one another. My support for leftist ideals in general, and anarchism in particular, is born out of my pacifism, and that's inseparable from my spirituality, y'know?

EDIT: I haven't really thought much on this, but I haven't yet encountered anything which shows to me that I have a single ethical principle other than ahimsa.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I'm not sure what school of Hindu teachings this equates to.
IMHO, Mahayana Buddhism corresponds to Vaishnavism, Hinayana to Advaita and Vajrayana to Trantrism. Most Hindus consider Buddha to be the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu.
I don't know. Anyone who wants to respond give me your interpretation of Hari Krishna?
I think some member must have answered your question (I have not yet gone through the whole topic) but let me add - Hare Krishna/the line of Achintya Bheda Abheda Advaita of Chaitanya is a valid sect of Hinduism. Some Hindus like it some don't. But that does not take away its authenticity. Just that they have their own way. (Yeah, Some Random replied to your question)

Last edited: