• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Objections against Buddhism

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have often wondered why Buddhism is not more popular than it is currently. I personally have found Buddhism to be a great help in thought and in life, as well as reasonably easy to grasp (unlike Hinduism and humanistic materialism) and generally devoid of serious logical or ethical problems (unlike Abrahamic religions).

So, for those you who have heard or read a bit about Buddhism. what were the main objections that caused you to not pursue it or give up on it or feel uninterested in it?

Brian Schuh

I have often wondered why Buddhism is not more popular than it is currently. I personally have found Buddhism to be a great help in thought and in life, as well as reasonably easy to grasp (unlike Hinduism and humanistic materialism) and generally devoid of serious logical or ethical problems (unlike Abrahamic religions).

So, for those you who have heard or read a bit about Buddhism. what were the main objections that caused you to not pursue it or give up on it or feel uninterested in it?
I had a lot against Buddhism since many Buddhists are atheistic, until I learned that Buddhism permits a belief in God. Not all Buddhists are atheists. That softened my heart.

Now I just wished there was a Buddhist canon of scripture for my personal library. If you know a set of books I could buy, let me know. I am ignorant of what books I need to be educated in Buddhism. I am of ultra-orthodox Judaism and would be interested to learn Buddhism. They are not incompatible. As long as they permit my belief in one God.

sovietchild

To me Budhism is like Christianity. They both pray towards a man that use to walk on this earth. They both have statues. They both have those temples where they put those statues in, and they both bring candle offerings to statues.

buddhist

Now I just wished there was a Buddhist canon of scripture for my personal library. If you know a set of books I could buy, let me know. I am ignorant of what books I need to be educated in Buddhism. I am of ultra-orthodox Judaism and would be interested to learn Buddhism. They are not incompatible. As long as they permit my belief in one God.
Here are the four books composing the core canon of early Buddhism relevant to laypeople - the Digha Nikaya, the Samyutta Nikaya, the Anguttara Nikaya, and the Majjhima Nikaya, available from Pali Canon: Books | Wisdom Publications

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
While there are many things I admire about Buddhism, it has never resonated with me on a personal, emotional, experiential level. Sure I can meditate, and I see that it brings me benefits...but that doesn't seem to be connected directly to Buddhism...By the same token, I have not adopted Hinduism, or Judaism, or Islam...

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a lot against Buddhism since many Buddhists are atheistic, until I learned that Buddhism permits a belief in God. Not all Buddhists are atheists. That softened my heart.

Most forms of Buddhism I know do not have room for a supreme God. They do permit the existence of Creator God's who create and rule over various universes. But they are all considered subject to birth and death, like the universes and heavens they create.

Buddhist meditations can work independently of Buddhism (like yoga or martial arts), so I can share such books if you like.

Obviously an objection of the type that "a different worldview is different from what I currently believe, hence I object to it" is not really an objection.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
While there are many things I admire about Buddhism, it has never resonated with me on a personal, emotional, experiential level. Sure I can meditate, and I see that it brings me benefits...but that doesn't seem to be connected directly to Buddhism...By the same token, I have not adopted Hinduism, or Judaism, or Islam...
Could you reflect on the possible reasons? Just curious.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Could you reflect on the possible reasons? Just curious.
Sure. In a throwoff description, I prefer to drum, sing and dance around a fire, to honor my ancestors and the spirits that live around me, and to study and try to understand the wondrous world around me. Thus, things like Shinto, Native American mythologies, Aboriginal mythologies, and folk religions resonate with me in ways that the others do not. Over the years, I've tried to force it, especially with Christianity, and with atheism/agnosticism, and I've checked into some of the others...but they don't light me up the way my 'primitive' animistic practices do.

Brian Schuh

Well, as I cannot show contempt prior to investigation, I will make an attempt to investigate by purchasing and reading the basic canon of Buddhist literature. And until I do so, I bow out of this thread respectfully.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I have a lot, if not all, Buddhist morals but I find the practice of Buddhism both Zen and Nichiren are not personal. They are more intellectual beliefs that you apply to your life; and, if beyond intellectual, then you can fall into the "attachment" of pleasure. Not saying people can't make Buddhism personal; and, the teachings in and of themselves are about the mind that influence the heart rather than abrahamic religions where the heart influences the mind.

I know Buddhists do not worship The Buddha and other sects the Dharma but I never was one to put anything over myself in any way regardless if one calls it worship (a way of submission) or reverence (an act of respect). When I pray to my ancestors, spirits, and grandmothers to know them more, it's more on a personal level. I don't know The Buddha personally so it's like following a political party of a politician with whom even though I share his or her views, I don't know that person personally. Of course, that sounds a bit off but that's just me.

Paganism or whatever you guys want to call it brings me to a sense of home. Whether one calls me an animist, pantheist, polytheist, or whatevertheist it all comes to the same reflection and multicolored unique unfiltered cultural definitions of life. Being part of that diversity of "spirits" lets me know I'm not just focused on the mind. I know we suffer. I dislike christianity because it has the same concept as Buddhism in that the cause of life is suffering and their needs to be a redemption from it.

It doesn't hit a personal string in my heart. My family does. Meditation helps but prayer to my family is personal. Chanting Diamoku is cool but actually being a part of nature and touching the ground where my grandmother's ashes are asleep lets me know I'm part of the chain of life.

Buddhism doesn't give me that. I hold a lot of their views because it is common sense. It's just not personal religion to where I'd put those views to practice and make them my life.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It didn't resonate with my experience of life and God. I have no objections as such.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a lot, if not all, Buddhist morals but I find the practice of Buddhism both Zen and Nichiren are not personal. They are more intellectual beliefs that you apply to your life; and, if beyond intellectual, then you can fall into the "attachment" of pleasure. Not saying people can't make Buddhism personal; and, the teachings in and of themselves are about the mind that influence the heart rather than abrahamic religions where the heart influences the mind.

I know Buddhists do not worship The Buddha and other sects the Dharma but I never was one to put anything over myself in any way regardless if one calls it worship (a way of submission) or reverence (an act of respect). When I pray to my ancestors, spirits, and grandmothers to know them more, it's more on a personal level. I don't know The Buddha personally so it's like following a political party of a politician with whom even though I share his or her views, I don't know that person personally. Of course, that sounds a bit off but that's just me.

Paganism or whatever you guys want to call it brings me to a sense of home. Whether one calls me an animist, pantheist, polytheist, or whatevertheist it all comes to the same reflection and multicolored unique unfiltered cultural definitions of life. Being part of that diversity of "spirits" lets me know I'm not just focused on the mind. I know we suffer. I dislike christianity because it has the same concept as Buddhism in that the cause of life is suffering and their needs to be a redemption from it.

It doesn't hit a personal string in my heart. My family does. Meditation helps but prayer to my family is personal. Chanting Diamoku is cool but actually being a part of nature and touching the ground where my grandmother's ashes are asleep lets me know I'm part of the chain of life.

Buddhism doesn't give me that. I hold a lot of their views because it is common sense. It's just not personal religion to where I'd put those views to practice and make them my life.
I myself have never practiced Zen or Nichiren Buddhism. I usually practice Satipatthana (mindfulness). However given what you say, it may be the case that LovingKindness meditation and praxis may be more to your liking, as that one focuses directly on growing and nurturing the emotion and praxis of love and compassion and is less geared towards the intellect. (LINK).
As a person from India, I do not have the problem you have as Siddhartha will be my cultural ancestor in a very real way and I respect and seek to learn from him in the same way as I would respect and learn from Gandhi, for example. However, I do not consider it necessary to officially dedicate oneself to Buddha in order to practice his teachings that resonate with oneself, unless of course one is seeking to become a monk of some order or the other. I think there is a misperception that in order to practice Buddhism (or any of the Eastern traditions coming from South Asia) one needs to perform an official initiation. This is false and is not the way how it works in most South and South East Asia as far as I know. Very few people are actual initiates.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Sure. In a throwoff description, I prefer to drum, sing and dance around a fire, to honor my ancestors and the spirits that live around me, and to study and try to understand the wondrous world around me. Thus, things like Shinto, Native American mythologies, Aboriginal mythologies, and folk religions resonate with me in ways that the others do not. Over the years, I've tried to force it, especially with Christianity, and with atheism/agnosticism, and I've checked into some of the others...but they don't light me up the way my 'primitive' animistic practices do.

Couldnt have said it better.

Havent danced with the spirits in over a year due to medical priorities. :( Need to catch up? ;)