• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obeying Your Husband.

Ellen Brown

It's been just yonks since I have even thought about this issue. I doubt that this is taken seriously in most western Christian cultures. My old denomination has gone strangely silent on it.

In Islam, the admonishment is certain.

I do not know what the Jews think about it at all.

Rachel Held Evans, a respected Christian writer had written on it and I just read that she died today. I'll likely make some effort to look up her article.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It's been just yonks since I have even thought about this issue. I doubt that this is taken seriously in most western Christian cultures. My old denomination has gone strangely silent on it.

Rachel Held Evans, a respected Christian writer had written on it and I just read that she died today. I'll likely make some effort to look up her article.

A wife should obey her husband.

Just as a husband should obey his wife.

Compromise on behalf of both is how a relationship works.

If it's only a 1 way street then it will never work. (Regardless of which is in power)

Skwim

Veteran Member

Seems pretty clear to me.

Ephesians 5:22-24
22 Wives, obey your husbands as you obey the Lord.
23 The husband is the head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church people. The church is his body and he saved it.
24 Wives should obey their husbands in everything, just as the church people obey Christ.

Spanking-Wife-Coffee.jpg
OBEY OBEY OBEY.png

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Seems pretty clear to me.

22 Wives, obey your husbands as you obey the Lord.
23 The husband is the head of the wife, just as Christ is the head of the church people. The church is his body and he saved it.
24 Wives should obey their husbands in everything, just as the church people obey Christ.

Jesus never had to meet the naughty end of his wife's frying pan! >drum roll<

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

JW's take it seriously.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
1 Corinthians 11:3...
"But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ." (NASB)

Headship is God's arrangement, but it is not to be confused with dictatorship. (Apparently some men seem to think it is.) Men have to answer to Jesus....and you see that even Christ has a head over him.

How is headship to be exercised? The way Christ exercised his headship over the congregation. Always kind and compassionate...never demanding.

Ephesians 5:28-29....
"So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church".

Ephesians 5:23.....
" For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."

When God created the woman, she was to be a "complement" for her husband. A complement is something that makes something else complete. So together they would balance one another out.

1 Peter 3:7...
"You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered."

A man was to treat his wife with tenderness, assigning honor to her as a "weaker vessel"....something precious and fragile. Her emotions are part of the way God made her. As a nurturer she was given greater emotional qualities. Though strong in many ways, a woman's emotions can bring her undone. She needs the strength of her mate to stand beside her as a support.

Headship is not about inequality, but about order. Marriage is like a vehicle, so you can imagine a car with two drivers and two sets of controls, who knows where it would end up? There should only be one driver and a very good co-pilot, working together to blend their strengths into one aim......keeping the other happy and the family unit together. Give and take should be balanced for the best outcome.

Because it is a sound Bible principle, Jehovah's Witnesses follow the Bible's guidelines on headship. We have a lower divorce rate as a result. (Malachi 2:16)

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Headship is not about inequality, but about order. Marriage is like a vehicle, so you can imagine a car with two drivers and two sets of controls, who knows where it would end up? There should only be one driver and a very good co-pilot, working together to blend their strengths into one aim......keeping the other happy and the family unit together. Give and take should be balanced for the best outcome.

Not inequality when the roles are assigned by gender?

Because it is a sound Bible principle, Jehovah's Witnesses follow the Bible's guidelines on headship. We have a lower divorce rate as a result. (Malachi 2:16)

You forgot to mention that the only grounds for divorce is sexual immorality. Might have something to do with the divorce rate...

Skwim

Veteran Member
1 Corinthians 11:3...
"But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ." (NASB)

Headship is God's arrangement, but it is not to be confused with dictatorship. (Apparently some men seem to think it is.) Men have to answer to Jesus....and you see that even Christ has a head over him.

How is headship to be exercised? The way Christ exercised his headship over the congregation. Always kind and compassionate...never demanding.

Ephesians 5:28-29....
"So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church".

Ephesians 5:23.....
" For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body."

When God created the woman, she was to be a "complement" for her husband. A complement is something that makes something else complete. So together they would balance one another out.

1 Peter 3:7...
"You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered."

A man was to treat his wife with tenderness, assigning honor to her as a "weaker vessel"....something precious and fragile. Her emotions are part of the way God made her. As a nurturer she was given greater emotional qualities. Though strong in many ways, a woman's emotions can bring her undone. She needs the strength of her mate to stand beside her as a support.

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

22 Let wives be in subjection to their husbands+ as to the Lord, 23 because a husband is head of his wife+ just as the Christ is head of the congregation,+ he being a savior of this body. 24 In fact, as the congregation is in subjection to the Christ, wives should also be to their husbands in everything.

subjection
noun
mass noun
The action of subjecting a country or person to one's control, or the fact of being subjected.
Source: Oxford dictionary

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's easy to look for any one perspective and ignore a rounded view. Male dominance was true for all the major world religions but it's more complex than simple dominance.

For example,

WOMEN IN ISLAM : Prophet Mohammed (Peace & Mercy of GOD Be Upon Him) Defined it very Beautifully: Be careful-do not make a woman cry, because Allah (SWT) counts her tears. A WOMAN CAME OUT OF A MANS RIB. NOT FROM HIS FEET TO BE WALKED ON, NOT FROM HIS HEAD TO BE SUPERIOR OVER, BUT FROM HIS SIDE TO BE EQUAL, UNDER THE ARM TO BE PROTECTED AND NEXT TO THE HEART TO BE LOVED

and these Islam: -

“The most complete of the believers in faith, is the one with the best character. And the best of you are those who are best to their women.”

`A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported that the Messenger of Allah would give her a vessel to drink, when she was menstruating, then he would look for the spot where she had put her lips on and put his lips on the same spot.

Anas narrated that the Prophet had a Persian neighbor who was good in cooking soup. One day he prepared some soup and invited the Prophet to it. `A’ishah was present so the Prophet suggested to the neighbor that she should join them. The neighbor refused to include her in the invitation. The Prophet, therefore, declined the invitation.

The Persian repeated the exclusive invitation for the Prophet who, once again, declined the invitation.

In the third attempt, the Persian neighbor invited both the Prophet and his wife, `A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her). Then, the Prophet accepted his invitation and went with `A’ishah to the man’s house.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Doubt not.
Most denominations and churches probably do still have their original rules, in their original bible translations.

Here in the UK we are slowly waking up to the fact that some Muslim women do need much more support and protection from dangerous and bullying husbands. Out 'Women's Aid' and Refuge centres are developing as fast as funds allow to this end.

I'm impressed with OT laws about how to treat wives. Can any member show me otherwise?

Ellen Brown

Doubt not.
Most denominations and churches probably do still have their original rules, in their original bible translations.

Here in the UK we are slowly waking up to the fact that some Muslim women do need much more support and protection from dangerous and bullying husbands. Out 'Women's Aid' and Refuge centres are developing as fast as funds allow to this end.

I'm impressed with OT laws about how to treat wives. Can any member show me otherwise?

I do not know what the Jewish rules are.

As to Muslims, been there experienced that, it needs to go extinct.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Good grief....:facepalm:.....where did you dig that up? I have listened to Brother Herd many times...it doesn't even sound like him....what a dodgy recording job. How far down in the pig's trough did you have to dig to find that one?

If you want to know what JW's believe why not consult information from the horse's mouth? That way it isn't distorted by opposers or taken out of context. All of the scriptural references are in my first post.....did you find any of them misleading? Headship is not about who is smarter....its about understanding who is the designated driver.

Here you go....

A Husband Who Gains Deep Respect — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Publications — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

ETA: We had a study on this topic only last year...

Honor “What God Has Yoked Together” — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Good grief....:facepalm:.....where did you dig that up? I have listened to Brother Herd many times...it doesn't even sound like him....what a dodgy recording job. How far down in the pig's trough did you have to dig to find that one?

Interestingly it found me when I was watching the first episode of the new series of Scientology and the Aftermath where they were comparing the similarities between Scientology and the Watch Tower Society. Then it was just a simple matter of googling.

If you want to know what JW's believe why not consult information from the horse's mouth?

I'd rather consider all the available information than rely on one source. You should try it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I do not know what the Jewish rules are.
The OT laws order that a husband must feed, clothe, support, and provide security for his wife.

There are also strict laws banning husbands from defaming or slandering their wives.

I was impressed with that.

As to Muslims, been there experienced that, it needs to go extinct.
Many British Muslims are more westernised and have good relationships with their wives, including those that I knew with arranged marriages.

Of course, plenty of secular marriages are dreadful experiences for one spouse or t'other.