• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obey God...no matter what?

bartdanr

Hi All,

Would you obey God no matter what s/he asked you to do? What if you were asked to take the life of your child, like the Bible and Quran teach about Abraham? Are there certain things that God could ask you to do that you would refuse, regardless of the consequences?

Closely related to this is the question: how do you know that God is speaking, and not someone else? How do you know it's God's voice?

Peace

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
If, while consulting my pineal gland, Eris asked me do anything, I would, because if asked I would believe in it, therefore making it morally ok for me to do so, anything I believe in & want to do is morally right for me, & vice versa, though I doubt she would ask, she's demands little from her followers, only the belief in a few things, everything else is up to you.

& trust me, when you speak to any God, you know it's them, I can't explain why, you jsut do.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
No, absolutely not. *prepares to get a lightning bolt thrown at her*

I may be a special exception, since I'm a polytheist- but I think any diety asking you to do something 'just to prove you believe' or because they want something done and you happen to be the closest worshipper handy... Well, I just don't think that that god is worth following, if they'd do that.

I kind of picture it as an episdoe of "Dr.Phil". "When Your Diety Ain't Giving You the Respect You Deserve". I wouldn't want a relationship with a god that would do this, any more than I'd want a relationship with a person who'd do this. I'd get out my Josef Cambell and find me another man! (Or woman... or 'other''. )

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
We had this question before; If I was convinced that it was God, commanding me to sacrifice a child, I would offer myself instead - if that did not suit God, then I would be in trouble!:D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
We had this question before; If I was convinced that it was God, commanding me to sacrifice a child, I would offer myself instead ...
It's hard to believe that you would attempt to negotiate with your God. Don't you think that he's smart enough to know what he wants?

michel said:
... if that did not suit God, then I would be in trouble!
Why. What could possibly be wrong with it?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I'm kinda with Feathers on this . I would have to question " God's " motivation for asking such a thing . { and possibly my sanity }

Apotheosis

I wouldnt obey God, as far as I am concerned, I will do what I believe is right, if God orders me to kill every baby I see, I will tell him"Unless you can give me a damn good reason, theres not a chance in this world I will do that". And if God kills me, so be it.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Deut. 32.8 said:
No, it would not. The OP presumes that the source of the command is acknowledged as God.
So ? I presume that they can still think for theirselves . :) But this isn't a debate . I was just trying to answer your question as best as I could .

bartdanr

Deut. 32.8 said:
No, it would not. The OP presumes that the source of the command is acknowledged as God.
Hi Deut 32.8, thanks for your responses.

Actually, my OP stated that it really brings up another question--how do you know it's God who's speaking. They two are closesly related questions. Therefore, you can hear a voice (in your ear or possibly just in your head) that you've been thinking was God--or maybe a voice you never heard before and think it could only be God--and this voice commands you to do something that you personally find wrong. Perhaps this command itself would make you question if (a) the voice is truly God, or (b) God is truly good.

Peace

bartdanr

michel said:
We had this question before; If I was convinced that it was God, commanding me to sacrifice a child, I would offer myself instead - if that did not suit God, then I would be in trouble!:D
Hi Michel, thanks for the post.

Would God asking you to sacrifice a child make you question his/her goodness? Would you consider it a test of some kind?

What kind of trouble do you envision, if your substitute was not acceptable? God's displeasure in your disobedience?

Peace

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
bartdanr said:
Hi All,

Would you obey God no matter what s/he asked you to do? What if you were asked to take the life of your child, like the Bible and Quran teach about Abraham? Are there certain things that God could ask you to do that you would refuse, regardless of the consequences?

Closely related to this is the question: how do you know that God is speaking, and not someone else? How do you know it's God's voice?

Peace
I would say, "Put it in writing".

We have a completed list of what God wants us to do.