• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obesity Matters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The British Prime Minister was overweight, but obesity was not important personally or nationally since it was irrelevant to Getting Brexit Done. But then Johnson contracted Covid 19 and it is considered that there may be a link between the virus and being overweight (susceptibility/severity). So now obesity matters and legislation is being drawn up to restrict marketing and advertising which focusses on "unhealthy" food choices.

Tackling obesity: empowering adults and children to live healthier lives

Thoughts?

Piculet

Obesity has been a problem for a long long time and it is talked about all the time. I'm sure UK is no exception to this even if the government itself is silent for a while.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The British Prime Minister was overweight, but obesity was not important personally or nationally since it was irrelevant to Getting Brexit Done. But then Johnson contracted Covid 19 and it is considered that there may be a link between the virus and being overweight (susceptibility/severity). So now obesity matters and legislation is being drawn up to restrict marketing and advertising which focusses on "unhealthy" food choices.

Thoughts?
the USA has a food industry problem

real food is NOT tasty anymore
it's all gone the way of GMO

so......sugar and salt......lots of it
and the body will store what it doesn't use.....even if that stuff is junk chemistry

Cooky

Veteran Member
the USA has a food industry problem

real food is NOT tasty anymore
it's all gone the way of GMO

so......sugar and salt......lots of it
and the body will store what it doesn't use.....even if that stuff is junk chemistry

Too many preservatives and byproducts.

Did you know margarine is molecularly similar to plastic? It's basically a fake-food, made from byproducts of something else they decided they could sell and make money off of.

20200727_073159.jpg

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
AND high fructose corn syrup

AND azodicarbonamide
it's used to make plastic flow easier into the mold

in flour it keeps mold away
I didn't finish a loaf.....and coincidentally read the article
SO.....I put what was left in a ziplock baggy
tossed up on my refrigerator
and ONE YEAR later......no mold
the slices were like plastic
but very pretty

in your gut......azodi
will bloat your intestines
and cause a painful condition as SOME things will thrive

and we wonder why our bellies hang over our belts...!!!!

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I wish he would get on his bike and shove off (another of his ideas to reduce obesity), although I would think that advocating such to many, who might be a little late for such, would likely produce more deaths than saving any. :oops: However, one can't diss the message, even if it is several decades late. :rolleyes:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
in your gut......azodi
will bloat your intestines
and cause a painful condition as SOME things will thrive

and we wonder why our bellies hang over our belts...!!!!
I stopped buying bread about 4 months ago. I didn't know about this though. Maybe its why I have a tummy? I'm basically eating beans, rice, some meat and only occasionally anything sweet or alcoholic.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Did you know margarine is molecularly similar to plastic? It's basically a fake-food, made from byproducts of something else they decided they could sell and make money off of.

View attachment 41629

Not sure how universal that process is. These are the ingredients in what we use (Naturli' Block):
"Organic Shea oil (43%), water, organic coconut oil (21%), organic rapeseed oil (11%), salt, organic ALMOND BUTTER* (1%), emulsifier * (lecithin), organic carrot juice, organic lemon juice, natural flavour.
May contain traces of: Hazelnut, cashew nut and pistachio nut."

- Organic Vegan Block – Naturli'

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Thoughts?

Kind of on the fence. While I'm against telling people what they can or can't do with their bodies, I've seen people watch an ad on TV and after the ad, have an irresistible desire to purchase whatever useless crap they were selling. Almost like people have no control over what they desire.

Whatever magic spell advertisers use to control the desire of others, we might want to find a way to limit its effectiveness.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I stopped buying bread about 4 months ago. I didn't know about this though. Maybe its why I have a tummy? I'm basically eating beans, rice, some meat and only occasionally anything sweet or alcoholic.
Ive never known it to happen, and indeed have had an occasional problem of not eating a loaf fast enough, typically finding it molded when I want toast. Maybe white bread (thats really more of a cake), but certainly not whole grain and multigrain breads.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ive never known it to happen, and indeed have had an occasional problem of not eating a loaf fast enough, typically finding it molded when I want toast. Maybe white bread (thats really more of a cake), but certainly not whole grain and multigrain breads.
I did eat some doughnuts last week. They were the kind that sat on the shelf forever, and I wondered how they could still be good. I told myself "They have some preservatives" but didn't look up whether the preservatives would do anything to me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I did eat some doughnuts last week. They were the kind that sat on the shelf forever, and I wondered how they could still be good. I told myself "They have some preservatives" but didn't look up whether the preservatives would do anything to me.
Could just be a high sugar content. I dont know, but that is a possibility instead of some mystery chemical (and indeed donuts are basicallysugar with a chunk of fried bread).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
when I joined here...my waist was a trim 34
and all of a sudden I went to a 38

on a skinny guy like me a 38 looks really bad
and sad

but the effort to reduce is daunting
only half way back to normal
and I find my age is getting in the way

gotta exercise more......get the sugar intake down to 45grams

wish me good luck with that