• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obamacare promised inexpensive insurance but made inexpensive insurance illegal

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
How do we explain the lack of deliverance of promises amidst the braggadocio and faux claims of success?
What is in contention is the concept of the AFCA not its implementation. One party opposes the concept, probably because it was put forward by the other party. The implementation suffers, because the bill is in contention. Plus the web site totally sucks, and there's no excuse for it. I can't believe its as bad as it is, and that is grounds for a lawsuit against somebody but not the president.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

How do we explain the lack of deliverance of promises amidst the braggadocio and faux claims of success?

Six years of Republican obstruction?

IMG_4619.JPG

Seriously though, Obama is not a dictator and does not govern or make laws in a vacuum of no opposition.

Nous

Premium Member
I think there is a near certainty that both the Circuit and Supreme Court will agree with the district court on the unconstitutionality of paying out Section 1402 reimbursements without an appropriation from Congress: https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2014cv1967-73 As far as I can tell, this will spell the end of the ACA, as the House is unlikely to enact such an appropriation, and no insurance company will continue offering insurance through the exchanges and simply eat these enormous costs. The next President and Congress will have to devise a public option or single-payer plan. Thank God Trump won't be the one doing this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Actually, inexpensive insurance is possible.
A fundie friend told me of his plan (Obamacare approved) for Xian fundies.
It's a "self-insured" group, & doesn't cover anything related to sin (AIDS, abortion).
And it's even cheaper than what he had before Obamacare.
If I didn't get free insurance thru Mrs Revolt, I'd take advantage of their heathen friendly plan.
(I'll never need an abortion.)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The rate of medical inflation actually lessened since the ACA was enacted, although next year's increases may wash that away. In short, the problem is not the ACA but is the for-profit medical system that chews up around 17% of our GDP, which is by far the highest in the world (next highest is 12%).

If one thinks it's just the ACA, let me recommend they check on what it would cost them if they went out and purchased medical insurance on their own minus going through Obamacare. My son did it and found the ACA was less expensive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The rate of medical inflation actually lessened since the ACA was enacted.....
You've claimed this before.
But what's odd is that inflation decreased before the ACA was implemented.
But since its implementation, medical cost inflation has increased.
I don't say that this correlation means the ACA is making things worse,
but it's certainly far from proof that Obamacare has lowered costs.

People often confuse price with cost. I often hear government claims that if more
young people sign up, that this will reduce costs. This is entirely wrong.
What they want is young healthy folk signing up because they'll be paying for more
than they cost, thereby subsidizing us older folk, who are paying less than we cost
the system. This would reduce the price to us, but not what we cost.
It's nothing but income redistribution without addressing any fundamental problems
with health care.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
From a quick Google search since I'm literally leaving the country in a few minutes: "US Health Care Inflation Rate is at 4.89%, compared to 4.89% last month and 2.45% last year. This is lower than the long term average of 5.41%."

BTW, if Trump/Pence is elected, I may be staying a lot longer!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From a quick Google search since I'm literally leaving the country in a few minutes: "US Health Care Inflation Rate is at 4.89%, compared to 4.89% last month and 2.45% last year. This is lower than the long term average of 5.41%."

Write home occasionally.

esmith

Veteran Member

Have fun