• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Shoots King Kong!

Palehorse

Harambe is dead, any inside scoop? I like apes.

harambe4-1024x538.jpg

4consideration

Premium Member
I have an idea! Why not link the story you want to talk about?

Also, since I've seen the story, and don't see how Obama figures into it at all, would you also say why you included Obama in this thread's title?

Palehorse

Also, since I've seen the story, and don't see how Obama figures into it at all, would you also say why you included Obama in this thread's title?

Current Events
Post New Thread

A place to discuss Current News without debate.

I don't want to get in trouble for debating current News here. I am just looking for more info outside mainstream media.

4consideration

Premium Member
Current Events
Post New Thread

A place to discuss Current News without debate.

I don't want to get in trouble for debating current News here. I am just looking for more info outside mainstream media.
OK.

So, are you only looking for responses from people that were actually at the zoo at the time this occurred, or people that are employed there?

Is there anyone else that might have "inside scoop?"

Also, since the story I saw was only about the gorilla, I think it would help clarify it for people for you to post the story you are talking about -- the one justifies your thread title -- that says something about Obama shooting... That way people might know what story you are talking about -- in order to give you inside scoop.

Last edited:

Palehorse

OK.

So, are you only looking for responses from people that were actually at the zoo at the time this occurred, or people that are employed there?

Is there anyone else that might have "inside scoop?"

I am waiting for people who loved Harambe. Harambe was adoreable. Harambe was murdered. Maybe the zookeeper has the scoop.

51947018-e1345582037706.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From what I read, they shot him prematurely.
There was no indication that he'd hurt the kid.
But I wasn't there, & don't know enuf to be sure.

4consideration

Premium Member
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...o-After-Child-Climbs-Enclosure-381223201.html
Witness says gorilla appeared to be protecting the boy.
First responders contradict this.
Witnesses can be wrong.
I've seen firemen lie about a fire in order to bill the party they blame.
So it's still not clear.
The video here shows a different picture, and one in which I would, personally, have been inclined to fear the gorilla might kill the child. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ki...zoo-sparks-outrage/ar-BBtCunM?ocid=spartanntp

Sad to see the gorilla was killed, though.

freethinker44

Because it can only be one of two things:
It's either aliens, or it's Obama.

Palehorse

Also, since the story I saw was only about the gorilla, I think it would help clarify it for people for you to post the story you are talking about -- the one justifies your thread title -- that says something about Obama shooting... That way people might know what story you are talking about -- in order to give you inside scoop.

Thanxs for the advice 4consideration...I am getting the scope of things now.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I've been following this story since Saturday. I also watched the footage of the event, including where Harambe pulled the boy through the water. There's a lot of lies and nonsense going around about it. I think the zoo is also lying to save face. Zoos are businesses and they have money to make. Zookeepers are not scientists. They're not zoologists or anything of the sort, generally. Neither are firefighters. (Which is why I thought it was funny that the news aired Jack Hanna's opinion on it, as if it really matters, since he's not a primatologist or anything of the sort. He also defended SeaWorld after the Blackfish film aired, so I don't believe he has the care of animals at the forefront of his concerns.)

Here's what happened:
- The boy was there with his mom, who was also overseeing a number of other children.
- The boy was heard saying that he wanted to go into the moat that's in the gorilla enclosure and his mom said to him "no, you're not".
- The boy was seen climbing through barriers to get into the enclosure. A bystander tried to stop him but he didn't listen to her or stop.
- After climbing in, he fell about 10-12 feet into the moat, which is what apparently caused his injuries. (His injuries don't seem to have been that serious since he was never knocked out and was released from the hospital later that day.)
- Harambe took notice of the boy and went over to check him out. (The two female gorillas stayed away from the scene.) He seemed more curious than anything. He did not appear aggressive. He stood over the boy in what appeared to be a protective stance. He also touched the boy's arm and even stood him up out of the water by pulling him up by his shorts.
Gorillas are known to be able to recognize children and do protect them from danger at times, as happened with 5 year old Levan Merritt when he accidentally fall into the gorilla enclosure at the Jersey Zoo in the UK in 1986, where Jambo, a very large silverback male protected him from the other gorillas and even stroked his back in an apparent attempt to comfort him. (Levan Merritt did suffer some serious injuries from his fall, including a fractured skull, by the way; Jambo was later celebrated the press as a hero and that incident helped to change public perception of gorillas, who tended to be viewed as inherently violent, dangerous "beasts".) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...c-moment-30-years-says-t-wait-kids-there.html
- The bystanders started screaming and panicking.
- This seemed to alarm Harambe. He then grabbed the boy by the arm and quickly pulled him through the water to another area of the enclosure (he may have been expecting the boy to go on his back, which child gorillas often do). After that, he again stood over him.

That's about all the footage available shows.

It seems to me that Harambe was actually protecting the boy. The stupid morons who were screaming and panicking are the ones who made the situation worse because Harambe viewed them as a threat. It seems obvious that he pulled the boy away because he was trying to protect him from a perceived threat. He moved the boy away from the screaming people. There is no conclusive evidence that Harambe wanted to harm the boy, and all the video evidence of the event seems to show that he only wanted to help. If Harambe wanted to really hurt the boy, he would've. He had ample time to do so. The boy was in the enclosure for over 10 minutes.

The excuse they used for not using tranqs rings hollow, as well, because shooting him and him dying instantly from it wasn't a sure thing, either. Plus, he still could've seriously injured the boy after being shot and possibly falling over on him. So there's no real excuse for not using tranqs on Harambe. If they can use them on tigers, which are huge animals, they can use them on a male gorilla, who wasn't even that big by his own species' standards (Jambo the gorilla was much larger than Harambe).

So I do not think the zoo has an excuse for killing this critically endangered animal and that they share the blame along with the little brat and his negligent mother. (I don't have any sympathy for the kid, since he's not a baby or even a toddler. He's old enough to know that he shouldn't do that.) The idiots who were freaking out and screaming also have their share of the blame, since it alarmed Harambe. The last thing you do around a wild animal in an iffy situation is freak out and scream. That's just completely stupid and goes against basic animal behavior 101. So, imo, the mother should be prosecuted and the boy should suffer some penalty, as well.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've been following this story since Saturday. I also watched the footage of the event, including where Harambe pulled the boy through the water. There's a lot of lies and nonsense going around about it. I think the zoo is also lying to save face. Zoos are businesses and they have money to make. Zookeepers are not scientists. They're not zoologists or anything of the sort, generally.
The Cincinnati Zoo is not a business, the city having purchased it & run it since 1931.