• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama sends in 30000 troops to Afghanistan

How do you feel about the surge

• It is a bad idea. It will only make things worse in the long run.

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • It is a good idea. We can save Afghanistan and stave off terrorism.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don't know what you're taking about.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
Because it's a convenient framework.
No, I think it's far more than that. It's a mistake to dismiss people's religious beliefs and impulses so quickly. I don't think you can understand any particular religion, or religion in general, if you just shove all the bad parts off to the side and say, "That's not really religion."

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No, I think it's far more than that. It's a mistake to dismiss people's religious beliefs and impulses so quickly. I don't think you can understand any particular religion, or religion in general, if you just shove all the bad parts off to the side and say, "That's not really religion."
I'm not dismissing anything. I'm saying that all that rage needs a... a channel, and religion (sadly) performs superbly as such. I was agreeing with you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I strongly disagree -- and I think strongly disagreeing with Seyorni is something I've never done before. ;)

Granted that the United States manages -- in the tradition of the British Empire -- to make almost every bad situation worse, the West did not create these movements. If the Western countries withdrew completely from the Middle East, if Israel closed up shop and all all the Jews moved to Arizona, there would still be these violent fundamentalist movements, and the West would still have to deal with them.

Fundamentalism isn't caused by oppression, though oppression can certainly feed it. Fundamentalism is caused by the inability to deal with a shifting paradigm. It results, probably inevitably, when traditional dogma confronts modernity. There's no longer any way for much of anybody to avoid confronting modernity anymore. Maybe if you belong to an isolated tribe in one of the most isolated parts of the earth, if you live deep in the rain forest or way out on the steppes, you can be apart from the rest of the world for now. But most people in most countries must come face to face with the modern world, and some of them will react by feeling threatened and by hating the perceived threat.

In a way, Islam's confrontation with modernity is a case of the chickens coming home to roost. When the Ottoman conquests drove scholars West from the Eastern Roman Empire, and when contact with Islam spurred iconoclasm and Reformation in Western Christianity, the seeds of modernity were sown. Islam was unable to conquer Western Christendom with armies, but helped to break its back in ways that Muslims never intended or foresaw, and now Islam must inevitably face the consequences. Nothing Western politicians or Western armies do or do not do will change that bare fact.

And because Western countries have welcomed immigration from Muslim lands, the confrontation will play out in the West as well as in the Middle East -- which is a shame for us, because we're still dealing with the Christian fundamentalism that arose from our own traditional culture's confrontation with modernity.

I don't think we're that far out of synch, Smoke. I agree that a shifting social paradigm or weltansicht is unsettling; that some people will rebel violently. But it was the increase in the speed of change, beginning in earnest when the West began taking an active interest in the middle East for global political and energy reasons, that fanned a low smolder into a conflagration.

Now, mostly because of westernization, the middle East population has exploded, and outstripped regional resources and infrastructure. Add the lack of government will and competence to deal with these masses and you have a ticking time bomb. If the western boogyman relaxes its influence the region will explode on itself, and unrest will be worst in the most westernized regions.

Afghanistan is a somewhat different paradigm. The West broke/destabilized that region as well, though with somewhat different means and aims. US et al are currently in a desperate struggle over there to prop up the broken social and economic infrastructure, hoping it will hold together for a while when (if) they leave, without the Taliban rushing in to take over. I doubt it will work. We're trying to impose a western socioeconomic pattern on a tribal, feudal society. Outside a few population centers the "Afghanis" don't want or care about a central government. They care about their village, then their valley, then their tribe. That's about the extent of their world. (They're the "isolated tribes" you mentioned in P 2).
I fear that whatever we do there will be massive social upheaval when we leave. Remove the props and the broken pieces will tumble into some new alignment. Personally, I expect a civil war, specifically between the Tajiks and Pashtuns. I'd be very surprised if Obama's surge were able sufficiently to stabilize the region to allow withdrawal without chaos, or without some other stabilizing force moving in.

[I like the fact that you reference historicity in your post, Smoke. This is the most useful way to approach most socio-political problems. We tend to have short memories and continually struggle to re-invent the wheel. :(]

Last edited by a moderator:

dogsgod

Nazi like forces have invaded and are now occupying Afghanistan for strategic purposes, as well as to build an infrastructure that allows the natural resources of Afghanistan to flow west. Military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq make Iranians nervous and rightly so since they are sandwiched between the two countries and the west has been threatening Iran of late. Nazi like forces are there because the west wants to control the flow of the natural resources due to their imperialist goals of domination. I too find it offensive that so called UN forces are like Nazis prejudiced towards Arabs, but it is what it is.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Right, we're genocidal monsters. Whatever you say. You don't sound the least bit hysterical.

kai

ragamuffin
That's not what former jihadists state about why and how they were recruited to radicalism. Why don't you believe them when they almost universally state it was Western and Israeli aggression that prompted them to become jihadists? Do you think all of them are lying? All of them?

no i believe they beleive it, its more or less a campaign slogan isnt it, but lets face it how can you be a "JIhadist" if your not Mulsim?
what interest would you have in reinstating the Caliphate?
and why would Israeli aggresion worry you enough to take up arms if your not claiming to be defending the Ummah if your not part of the Ummah?
To be recruited to radicalism you would need to have radical views of your own, otherwise you would dissagree with the "Jihad" itself as we know from some of our own members Jihad is an inner struggle , not the armed Jihad of Bin Laden.

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Nazi like forces have invaded and are now occupying Afghanistan for strategic purposes, as well as to build an infrastructure that allows the natural resources of Afghanistan to flow west. Military bases in Afghanistan and Iraq make Iranians nervous and rightly so since they are sandwiched between the two countries and the west has been threatening Iran of late. Nazi like forces are there because the west wants to control the flow of the natural resources due to their imperialist goals of domination. I too find it offensive that so called UN forces are like Nazis prejudiced towards Arabs, but it is what it is.

Yup, because we're slaughtering the locals in their hundreds of thousands and forcing them into camps. Are you serious?

**** Iran, those racist pigs continually call for the destruction of Israel. Thats just sick.

As far as i'm concerned, my country protects rural areas from Taliban forces shooting unarmed contractors trying to build infrastructure. My country wouldn't be in such a hell hole if the Taliban would focus on fighting above the belt.

They're animals who deserve to be lined up to the wall and shot, just like the Nazi's were.

dogsgod

Yup, because we're slaughtering the locals in their hundreds of thousands and forcing them into camps. Are you serious?
Over a million Iraqi civilians were killed and even more forced to flee the country.

**** Iran, those racist pigs continually call for the destruction of Israel. Thats just sick.
The president of Iran stated that Israel could collapse from within just as did the Soviet Union and South Africa did, but you can translate that to mean that he's a racist pig calling for the destruction of Israel if it makes you feel better.

As far as i'm concerned, my country protects rural areas from Taliban forces shooting unarmed contractors trying to build infrastructure. My country wouldn't be in such a hell hole if the Taliban would focus on fighting above the belt.
An infrastructure of military basis, how quaint.

They're animals who deserve to be lined up to the wall and shot, just like the Nazi's were.
Yes, you're right by suggesting they should be lined up to the wall and shot because it's so good and right when we do it, we're so much better than the Nazis.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
Over a million Iraqi civilians were killed and even more forced to flee the country.
Iraq body count gives us a tenth of that. It's true that because of the stringent requirements for iraq body count that number is probably an underestimation, but having read the papers that put the number at over a million i'm disinclined do believe them.

Besides, the point you were making was that the coalition is killing Iraqi and Afghan civilians willy nilly. You know full well that the vast majority of civilians killed as a result of this conflict are killed due to sectarian violence. It's not something we can deny responsibility for, but it's definitely not genocide.

I've actually done humanitarian aid work in Afghanistan. Infrastructure comes not only in the form of training the police and army, but in helping with agriculture, housing, plumbing, and healthcare.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Yeh, suicide bombers killed 147 yerterday. I wonder how many claimed killed were actually killed by American Soliders.

Maybe they were better off, but people like you with zero patriotism and no idea whats going on just create un necessary tension.

The president of Iran stated that Israel could collapse from within just as did the Soviet Union and South Africa did, but you can translate that to mean that he's a racist pig calling for the destruction of Israel if it makes you feel better.

Yeh, thats one of the things he said, did you miss the other statementsa he made to the UN?

The military base being used by Australia was built by the Yanks. We're supervising the building of schools and water systems.

Remember im not American. Its pretty offensive to label soldiers from a different country as such dude.

Yes, you're right by suggesting they should be lined up to the wall and shot because it's so good and right when we do it, we're so much better than the Nazis.

Maybe not you Yanks, you guys create a mess for yourselves and drag us Aussies into it because everyone assumes our soldiers are as useless and destructive as yours.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing

Do you get your facts from the national enquirer?

Are you serious? He's called for the destruction on more than one occasion dude. It's pretty common knowledge that he's not a fan of Israel...

You're right. We should knock them down and replace them with the heroin producing poppy fields and terrorist training camps that were there in the first place.

If you're so hell bent on calling our soldiers Nazis, then get the hell out of the country.

Maybe not you Yanks, you guys create a mess for yourselves and drag us Aussies into it because everyone assumes our soldiers are as useless and destructive as yours.

John Howard - "to disarm Iraq...is right, it is lawful, and it is in Australia’s national interest."

Nobody made you do anything. You jumped in the fire with the rest of us...