• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama is Avoiding the Phrase "Radical Islam" for Strategic Reasons, not to be "Politically Correct".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I dislike Obama, but I always figgered that he knew it's useful to avoid inflaming Muslims.
(He's learned the importance of being politic ever since that Henry Gates debacle.)
The guy ain't all bad.
Will Trump learn too?
If he becomes prez, I expect so.

Acim

Revelation all the time
From the article:

Always, the aim was to distinguish between radicals and extremists and the vast majority of mainstream Muslims, and to make sure the latter understood that we were not lumping them in with the former.

Why not just state (something along lines of): Most Muslims are truly friends to the U.S. They live peacefully within our borders and have for many decades. What we are seeing in the U.S. is a rise in radical militant Muslims who are distorting not only the Muslim religion, but the perception of the world's Muslim population as being peaceful loving people. We will refer to these people as 'radical militant Muslims' when they make their attacks. But we will be clear, as often as we can, that we are still friends with the overwhelming majority of Muslims, and that we are very happy with the many we have within our borders. Anyone that acts up under the guise of Islam, but uses militant, radicalized methodology as a means to an end, we will not hesitate in naming them as a 'radical Muslims' that America chooses to be unallied with. If such Muslims are associated with any groups who share such a militant, radicalized ideology, we will destroy them. Sorry, dem da breaks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why not just state (something along lines of): Most Muslims are truly friends to the U.S. They live peacefully within our borders and have for many decades. What we are seeing in the U.S. is a rise in radical militant Muslims who are distorting not only the Muslim religion, but the perception of the world's Muslim population as being peaceful loving people. We will refer to these people as 'radical militant Muslims' when they make their attacks. But we will be clear, as often as we can, that we are still friends with the overwhelming majority of Muslims, and that we are very happy with the many we have within our borders. Anyone that acts up under the guise of Islam, but uses militant, radicalized methodology as a means to an end, we will not hesitate in naming them as a 'radical Muslims' that America chooses to be unallied with. If such Muslims are associated with any groups who share such a militant, radicalized ideology, we will destroy them. Sorry, dem da breaks.
Too long & nuanced ?

Acim

Revelation all the time
When has the strategy of not saying it paid off anywhere in the world? Show me the countries getting along just fine with militant Islamic terrorists who have found a magical way to not get them upset and that is working well for everyone (including all moderate Muslims). Seems like there needs to be better leadership on this than what we've decided is righteous but rather ineffective in the last 10 to 1000 years.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When has the strategy of not saying it paid off anywhere in the world? Show me the countries getting along just fine with militant Islamic terrorists who have found a magical way to not get them upset and that is working well for everyone (including all moderate Muslims). Seems like there needs to be better leadership on this than what we've decided is righteous but rather ineffective in the last 10 to 1000 years.
It would be impossible for me to give examples.
It's a judgement call.
But consider French cartoonists....their murder was clearly fueled by offending violent Muslim radicals.
Action is required.
Harsh words accomplish nothing.

Acim

Revelation all the time
It would be impossible for me to give examples.
It's a judgement call.
But consider French cartoonists....their murder was clearly fueled by offending violent Muslim radicals.
Action is required.
Harsh words accomplish nothing.

I'm going for accurate words that don't hide behind false premise of "good strategy."

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No, terrorists come in all forms. Christians, muslims, atheists etc. Should we point out the religion of the terrorist?

Supposed the terrorist screamed "This is in the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" just before he blew himself up in a crowded airport? Couldn't we refer to him as a radical Christian?

tytlyf

Not Religious
Supposed the terrorist screamed "This is in the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ" just before he blew himself up in a crowded airport? Couldn't we refer to him as a radical Christian?
Nope. Arabic is a language, doesn't matter if it's in English either. For instance, a lot of the planned parenthood terrorists are doing so because of christianity. I'm sure they're using similar words while doing it. I think religion poisons the human race and creates segregation. Thankfully it's dying worldwide.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm going for accurate words that don't hide behind false premise of "good strategy."
One can say things which are accurate.
One can say opinions which one thinks are accurate, but are really value judgements.
But this does not mean such things are useful.
They can be counter-productive.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm sure that if Obama said "Radical Islam" even once, all those in it would miraculously give up their weapons and instantly convert to Christianity. I'm sure that's what the talking heads at Fox tell their gullible groupies, right?

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm sure that if Obama said "Radical Islam" even once, all those in it would miraculously give up their weapons and instantly convert to Christianity. I'm sure that's what the talking heads at Fox tell their gullible groupies, right?
They'll complain about it. They'll say "why did he take so long?" "He doesn't mean it since he loves muslim countries more than America." etc etc. All conspiracy theories and propaganda.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They'll complain about it. They'll say "why did he take so long?" "He doesn't mean it since he loves muslim countries more than America." etc etc. All conspiracy theories and propaganda.
This is either a new fallacy, or I can't find an applicable one.
Call it "Condemnation by prediction of unreasonable reaction".