• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama authorizes air strikes in Iraq

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
From a BBC Report said:
...a solution to the current violence rests with the formation of an Iraqi government that is representative of all the Iraqi people.

Source.

It seems to me the only way that will be brought about is if the Iraqis are scared to death.

Aquitaine

So the Yazidi should die.

Just be honest about it.

Funny how no-one gave a damn when it was the Tutsis in Rwanda being slaughtered systematically.

I guess we should only care when it's taking place on an land full of Oil.

If you care so much about the Yazidi - go enlist and put your own life on the line for them.:yes:
The way I see it, this is just going to end up being Iraq 3.0 - just when we thought we'd finally be out of that messed-up place.....

Aquitaine

While the liberals and Islamists continue to oppose the bombing, another 100 Yezidis die of thirst.

Your true colors are now being shown.

If that's your reasoning, then shall the USA also instigate military action against Israel, given that over 1000 civilians in Gaza have been killed recently in a systematic, sustained assault?

Shall the USA instigate military action against North Korea?
Shall the USA instigate military action in mutliple African nations?
Shall the USA instigate military action i..... I'm sure you get the idea.

Thousands of people die of thirst/war-related issues every day, this is nothing new - open your eyes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The way I see it, this is just going to end up being Iraq 3.0 - just when we thought we'd finally be out of that messed-up place.....

Yup. I don't hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure you are. All the same I think we're going in. I just don't think we should ask you Brits to come with us this time. This mess is largely the result of the actions of our presidents -- we broke it, we should fix it. And I say that while suspecting that going in is gonna be a whole lot easier than getting out.

Aquitaine

Yup. I don't hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure you are. All the same I think we're going in. I just don't think we should ask you Brits to come with us this time. This mess is largely the result of the actions of our presidents -- we broke it, we should fix it. And I say that while suspecting that going in is gonna be a whole lot easier than getting out.

David Cameron got smacked down real hard (even by his own party members) when he tried to drag the UK into Syria not too long ago.

I'm hoping the British public are going to remain just as war-weary and disillusioned by our reckless Foreign Policy in that region. :yes:

Plus (and this applies to the US as well) we apparently have no more money left for education, healthcare and welfare programs. So then why on Earth can we afford to reign down fire from the skies, and mobilize armies thousands of miles from home? :shrug:

Let's see some "Austerity" applied to military adventurism instead.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
its unfortunate that some believe the solution is a new government for iraq. From one rulership to another.

when will people realise that the answer is not to be found in mans rulership??

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Funny how no-one gave a damn when it was the Tutsis in Rwanda being slaughtered systematically.

I guess we should only care when it's taking place on an land full of Oil.

If you care so much about the Yazidi - go enlist and put your own life on the line for them.:yes:
Far better that we uphold the principle:
NEVER AGAIN … UNLESS IT GETS MESSY!

Aquitaine

Flankerl said:
We can be pretty happy that the evil Vietnamese communists didnt think like that about the Khmer Rouge. There probably wouldnt be many Cambodians left to tell us how it was.

Just like there probably aren't many survives of Suhartos occupation and systematic genocide in East Timor - yet another example of a genocide no-one seems to either remember or really care about.

Then again, I suppose when the US, UK and Australian governments were supporting Suharto at the time, that somehow makes it different I guess. . . . . :rolleyes:

Please spare us your artificial morality, especially when basically accusing me of being morally reprehensible simply because I'm against Iraq 3.0.

Aquitaine

Far better that we uphold the principle:
NEVER AGAIN … UNLESS IT GETS MESSY!

Then the USA better start declaring war on almost all of the "Third World" nations, because let's face it - there's plenty of death/destruction/systematic killing/thirst/starvation/conflict/mass displacement/war crimes going on in this world.

I guess US citizens better be prepared for a 90% Income Tax..... y'know to fund all this military adventurism 1000's of miles from home. :rolleyes:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Then the USA better start declaring war on almost all of the "Third World" nations, because let's face it - there's plenty of death/destruction/systematic killing/thirst/starvation/conflict/mass displacement/war crimes going on in this world.

I guess US citizens better be prepared for a 90% Income Tax..... y'know to fund all this military adventurism 1000's of miles from home. :rolleyes:

Right … let em all die: it's so much less messy not to mention less expensive. Thanks for sharing.

Aquitaine

Right … let em all die: it's so much less messy not to mention less expensive. Thanks for sharing.

There's a difference between intervention and military intervention.

So, if you support military intervention and are just so upset by what's happening to the Yizidis - enlist, or start donating a sizeable portion of your income to the US military to help fund the war effort.

Alternatively, if you support intervention, then one can always start donating money to relief efforts etc.

Oh and not just for the Yizidis, but to every other oppressed group who are currently being systematically targetted by a militarily-superior foe (hint-hint ;)). Take your pick, there's plenty of groups who need help - just in the Middle East alone.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !

There's a difference between intervention and military intervention.

So, if you support military intervention and are just so upset by what's happening to the Yizidis - enlist, or start donating a sizeable portion of your income to the US military to help fund the war effort.

Alternatively, if you support intervention, then one can always start donating money to relief efforts etc.

Oh and not just for the Yizidis, but to every other oppressed group who are currently being systematically targetted by a militarily-superior foe (hint-hint ;)). Take your pick, there's plenty of groups who need help - just in the Middle East alone.

Sorry but relief support doesn't help you when your dead....tell that to the children who are starving for food and water....
I wonder what your stance will be when your sitting in your comfortable living room watching tv and eating snacks will be when some terrorist group walks in and shoots you because you were complacent.....and in denial.

Aquitaine

Sorry but relief support doesn't help you when your dead....tell that to the children who are starving for food and water....
I wonder what your stance will be when your sitting in your comfortable living room watching tv and eating snacks will be when some terrorist group walks in and shoots you because you were complacent.....and in denial.

Oh puhlease!

If you're so concerned for the Yizidis and advocate for Iraq 3.0 - go sign-up!
Put your money where your mouth is. Don't lecture me on how horrible I am simply because I'd prefer not to have my country dragged into yet another pointless conflict in the Middle-East that will sow the seeds for Iraq 4.0 or maybe even Iran 1.0 (Iran 2.0 if you consider Operation Ajax).

You (like I) probably never even knew of these Yizidi people if it wasn't for this recent media coverage.

Just like how (in my opinion) no-one cared about the victims of the Rwandan genocide, or the genocide in East Timor. Personally (and honestly) what's happening to the Yzidis is not only out of my control, but (frankly) doesn't really impact me enough to make me want to become involved militarily. :eek: :sorry1:

The only difference between you and I, is that I actually am honest enough to admit that (as I'm typing away comfortably via my laptop in my First-World country) what happens to the Yizidis most-likely won't ever affect me to any significant degree. Same for the countless thousands across God-knows how many African countries who're facing similar hardships, or the people of North Korea etc etc.

Perhaps what is most ironic is that a lot of these supporters for Iraq 3.0 (because of systematic targeting and attack on civilians by ISIS) are also zealous supporters of the IDF's very recent systematic assault on the civilians of Gaza.
As if by magic, attitudes do a 180-turn. :rolleyes:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Just like how (in my opinion) no-one cared about the victims of the Rwandan genocide, or the genocide in East Timor.

Any possibility that you're projecting? And is it not true that you would have opposed taking action because that situation was likewise messy?

Aquitaine

Well every once in awhile you mus kill the cockroaches before they spread.

In my honest opinion, US re-involvement in Iraq will not be about defending the victims of ISIS - instead it'll be a convenient excuse for the redeployment of the already battle-weary forces back into Iraq, and to resecure access to the country's resources for extraction from globalized companies.

Basically a case of trying to keep the loot flowing out of Iraq and back into the global marketplace for sale.

In other words: sending US men & women to (once again) die in Iraq for profit. Now that is unfair and inhumane. :yes:

Aquitaine

Any possibility that you're projecting? And is it not true that you would have opposed taking action because that situation was likewise messy?

That's correct: I wouldn't have supported military intervention in Rwanda or East Timor either, just like how I also wouldn't support the US striking at IDF units who shelled UNWRA schools in Gaza.

The point I'm trying to make is that nations engaging in warfare under the pretense of "rescuing the downtrodden" not only is dishonest, but it also tends to yield bad or even worse results. Civilians inevitably are killed by the intervening forces, retaliation also becomes more likely (7/7 attacks in London for example).

Basically - we'll screw it up...... again. Then another 10 years down the line it'll be Iraq 4.0 with ISIS mk2 for basically the same reasons.