• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama’s economic policies

Prometheus85

The economic policy of the Obama administration was characterized by moderate tax increases on higher income Americans designed to fund healthcare reform, reduce the federal budget deficit, and decrease income inequality. Were they good or bad.

The economic policy of the Obama administration was characterized by moderate tax increases on higher income Americans designed to fund healthcare reform, reduce the federal budget deficit, and decrease income inequality. Were they good or bad.

Bad, terrible. Pure evil!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If it only was as simple as that.

Keep your doctor? Nope

Keep your insurance plan? Nope

Force people into a perpetual unpayable debt and pay out-of-this-world premiums with deductibles into the thousands ? Yep, and then some. And a lot more than that.

Daemon Sophic

Keep your doctor? Nope

Force people into a perpetual unpayable debt and pay out-of-this-world premiums with deductibles into the thousands ? Yep, and then some. And a lot more than that.
Keep my doctor? Yes.
Keep my insurance plan? Yep.
Improved my insurance plan? That too.

However, putting aside the whole insurance baby-step toward the correct and proper single-payer system that we need; Obama’s economic policies, including his swift recovery plan, which pulled us out of the recession that much of the world is only now dragging itself out of, resulted in a constant upward climb of our economy throughout all eight years of his presidency and well into the year following; along with similarly improved employment rates.

However, Trump’s shortsighted and self-enriching tax-break for himself and his fellow elitist billionaires (with worthless sugared crumbs for the working class people) has destabilized the smooth Obama Recovery. Heck, even with the massive investments that immediately followed tRump’s electoral college win and inauguration, the market has only gotten.....dicey.

As the OP notes, it really only takes a small relief from the 3 death-blows we have suffered economically to bring things back to a stable road to prosperity.

Those three axe strokes to our nation’s economy have of course been the 3 big tax-breaks for our now undeniable aristocracy that the GOP wishes to bring to the North American continent. 1. Reagan’s (which even he stated must be a short term tax break, yet we still have it); followed by 2. Bushy Jr.’s tax break for the uber-wealthy; and now 3. Trump’s anti-constitutional self enriching tax break for the wealthy (particularly for real estate moguls).:rolleyes:
Only Bill Clinton had the gumption to briefly raise the elitist taxes by 4% and the US economy BOOMED! Then Bushy Jr. gutted that too. :(

Bring back the good old days, with taxes on your 3rd or higher million $$ per year into the 80-95% range. Good roads, bridges, and trains. Good border security, airports and shipping yards. Good hospitals and schools. And on and on and on.......:cool:

Prometheus85

Keep your doctor? Nope

Keep your insurance plan: yes some people indeed lost their doctor, but’s that’s because their insurance companies dropped them. Some companies that didn’t comply with the ACA’s requirements chose to drop plans rather than change them.

Keep your doctor: yes! Your relationship with your doctor hasn't changed. Bureaucrats have always been involved. Your doctor decides on the treatment. Then, an insurance company staff person decides whether it will be covered. The insurance company also determines how much it will cover and how much it will pay the doctor. For Medicare and Medicare, the government is involved in this decision by acting as the insurance company. The ACA didn’t change any of this.

Out-of-this-world-premiums: In reality any health insurance plan, someone is paying for services they know they'll never need. A marathoner will never need diabetes care, women will never need prostate testing, etc. Obamacare requires childbirth coverage to lower overall health care costs. That's because Medicaid pays for 50 percent of all childbirths. It costs the taxpayer less to make sure those women receive prenatal care. That is cheaper than the emergency room treatment that results from botched home deliveries.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Keep your insurance plan: yes some people indeed lost their doctor, but’s that’s because their insurance companies dropped them. Some companies that didn’t comply with the ACA’s requirements chose to drop plans rather than change them.

Keep your doctor: yes! Your relationship with your doctor hasn't changed. Bureaucrats have always been involved. Your doctor decides on the treatment. Then, an insurance company staff person decides whether it will be covered. The insurance company also determines how much it will cover and how much it will pay the doctor. For Medicare and Medicare, the government is involved in this decision by acting as the insurance company. The ACA didn’t change any of this.

Out-of-this-world-premiums: In reality any health insurance plan, someone is paying for services they know they'll never need. A marathoner will never need diabetes care, women will never need prostate testing, etc. Obamacare requires childbirth coverage to lower overall health care costs. That's because Medicaid pays for 50 percent of all childbirths. It costs the taxpayer less to make sure those women receive prenatal care. That is cheaper than the emergency room treatment that results from botched home deliveries.
My insurance deductible shot up into the thousands.

I lost my doctor who, from my understanding actually quit over Obamacare.

The mandate was a nightmare as this was a forced perpetual/unpayable debt unfairly levied on people. A legalized mugging/extortion as far as I was concerned.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
The economic policy of the Obama administration was characterized...............
Just curious, is there a reason this thread is posted in the sub-forum whose purpose appears to be to enable new members to introduce themselves to other members of the forum?

Prometheus85

Just curious, is there a reason this thread is posted in the sub-forum whose purpose appears to be to enable new members to introduce themselves to other members of the forum?

I’m still new to this. How do you post in a. Actual thread?

Terry Sampson

I’m still new to this. How do you post in a. Actual thread?

Posting methods depend on whether
  • (a) you want to create a new thread or
  • (b) you want to post a message within an existing thread that pertains to the thread's topic or
  • (c) you want to post a message within an existing thread that responds to someone else's previously posted message.
Lets take each method one by one.
  • (a) To create a new thread:
    • Click on "Forums" near the very top of any page that you find yourself.
    • Screenshot_2019-07-25 Obama’s economic policies.png

• Doing so will give you a complete list of forums and subforums:
    • Screenshot_2019-07-25 Forums.png

• In fact, when you created this thread ("Obama's economic policies"), whether you knew what you were doing or not, you created a thread. You just created in "the wrong place". What might have been more appropriate is to have scrolled down to "Political Discussions", > "Political Debates", > "North American Politics". Or, if you wanted only Liberal responses to your question, you could have scrolled down to "Political Discussions", > "The Political World", > "Liberal Only".
    • Taking the first route just listed, you would see:
    • Screenshot_2019-07-25 North American Politics(1).png
    • Click on "Post New Thread".
    • In my next posts, I'll show you posting methods (b) and (c).

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Necessary, because taxing the lower and the lower-middle income families only makes things worse. As the old saying goes, "You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip".

Back in the 1950's, the highest federal tax bracket could have one paying as much as 90% of their personal income, and that was under a Republican presidency (Eisenhower).

Terry Sampson

How do you post in a. Actual thread?

I see that you have created a new thread "Minimum Wage" in an appropriate forum. Now, for Posting Method (b) "you want to post a message within an existing thread that pertains to the thread's topic"
  • Go to the thread you want to post in.
  • Screenshot_2019-07-25 Minimum Wage.png
  • Now, suppose you want to post another comment in that same thread, but not in response any specific person's previous post in that thread.
  • To do so, scroll down until you arrive at the "Reply Box." It will look like this, with one exception: you will see your NYC avatar to the left of the box where mine is in the following screenshot:
  • Screenshot_2019-07-25 Minimum Wage(1).png
  • Type your response inside of the box.
  • Then click on "Post Reply".
  • If you review your posted message and want to correct or amend it, look down below your posted message, to the left. There you should see:
  • Screenshot_2019-07-25 Obama’s economic policies(1).png
  • Don't click "Report". That button enables you to complain to the RF staff about someone else's posted message.
  • Click "Edit" to correct/amend your own posted message.
  • Click "Delete" to delete your own posted message.

Terry Sampson

@Prometheus85

Now for Posting Method (c): "(c) you want to post a message within an existing thread that responds to someone else's previously posted message."
  • Purpose: To respond to a specific, previously-posted message in the thread.
    • This method (and Posting Method (b) addressed in my last message #11) can be done in any thread that you are allowed to post in, whether or not you created that thread.
  • LOL! I see that you posted Message #11 in response to BSM1's message. So, you're on your way.
  • To do: Identify the functions of each of the icons in the horizontal list at the top of your "Reply Box." Knock yourself out.
  • Don't forget, somewhere along the line to review and become familiar with RF rules and conditions.