• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oahspe

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Oahspe: A Kosmon Bible in the Words of Jehovih and his Angel Embassadors is a book announcing new revelations from God, which was produced by John Ballou Newbrough (1828-1891) by automatic writing, and which was first published by Newbrough in 1882.

Newbrough was a dentist who lived in the Boston, Massachusetts area. The practice of automatic writing was well known during the period in which Oahspe was revealed, largely as a result of the technique being used in the Spiritualist movement. Newbrough believed that angels were dictating the messages that ultimately appeared in Oahspe; large portions of the manuscript were produced by Newbrough by the means of automatic writing upon the recently invented typewriter.

The bulk of Oahspe contains cosmological revelations concerning the evolution of the human race and life on Earth. The text seems to suggest that the Earth travels through various regions of space, and that each of these regions has spiritual and physical consequences for Earth and its inhabitants. These several regions are under the presidency of various supernatural beings who are designated "sons of Jehovih," and as such the text of Oahspe contains separate books like the "Book of Sue, Son of Jehovih" and even the "Book of Thor, Son of Jehovih." One typographical peculiarity of these books is that many of them are printed on pages divided in two, top to bottom. In these, the top half of the page contains a narrative of celestial events, while the bottom half describes the corresponding events on Earth. Oahspe also contains a body of teaching that attempts to explain the origin of all of Earth's religions other than the one it seeks to establish.

While Joseph Smith, Jr. claims to have translated The Book of Mormon from hieroglyphs (termed Reformed Egyptian) engraved on golden plates, Oahspe goes one step further and is profusely illustrated with its hieroglyphs. Unfortunately, the text of Oahspe bristles with unusual jargon, and is also written in a pastiche of King James English; these aspects, and the sheer bulk of the tome, make it rather daunting to the casual reader. Editions of Oahspe contain a "Glossary Of Strange Words Used In This Book," but this glossary is sadly inadequate, covering only a small fraction of the strange words that appear in the text, and giving incomplete explanations of the ones it covers. A sample of the text of Oahspe will give an impression of its style:

1. JEHOVIH said: By virtue of My presence created I the seen and the unseen worlds. And I commanded man to name them; and man called the seen worlds Corper, and the unseen worlds Es; and the inhabitants of Corpor, man called corporeans. But the inhabitants of Es he called sometimes es'eans and sometimes spirits, and sometimes angels.
2. Jehovih said: I created the earth, and fashioned it, and placed it in the firmament; and by My presence brought man forth a living being. A corporeal body gave I him that he might learn corporeal things; and death I made that he might rise in the firmament and inherit My etherean worlds.
3. To es I gave dominion over corpor; with es I filled all place in the firmament. But corpor I made into earths and moons and stars and suns; beyond number made I them, and I caused them to float in the places I allotted to them.
4. Es I divided into two parts, and I commanded man to name them, and he called one etherea and the other atmospherea. These are the three kinds of worlds I created; but I gave different densities to atmospherean worlds, and different densities to the etherean worlds.
5. For the substance of My etherean worlds I created Ethe, the MOST RARIFIED. Out of ethe made I them. And I made ethe the most subtle of all created things, and gave to it power and place, not only by itself, but also power to penetrate and exist within all things, even in the midst of the corporeal worlds. And to ethe gave I dominion over both atmospherea and corpor.
--- From The Book of Jehovih, chapter II

Oahspe is still available under the imprint of the Kosmon Press in California; and as an e-text now in the public domain. Oahspe is the sacred text of a small religious denomination that now calls itself the Faithists of Kosmon; the sect still exists, though the number of its members are dwarfed by the followers of other, less original, nineteenth century alternative Scriptures.

What do you all think of this?

Ernestine

I don't think much of it. Unlike the Bible that we have of the Hebrew scriptures/Christian Greek scriptures it is NOT inspired by Jehovah God. Today's Bible has 66 books written by various authors throughout the course of human habitation on earth. Yet, all 66 books hold true to the one central theme of the Bible--Vindication of Jehovah's name and the establish of his Kingdom on earth.

Ceridwen018

Unlike the Bible that we have of the Hebrew scriptures/Christian Greek scriptures it is NOT inspired by Jehovah God.
How do you know?

Yet, all 66 books hold true to the one central theme of the Bible--Vindication of Jehovah's name and the establish of his Kingdom on earth.
The fact that these 66 books seem to relate to each other is no major feat. The reality of the matter is that these 66 books were handpicked from hundreds of others, and then purposefully matched together.

Delano

Hi! Thanks for starting up this thread.

Oahspe has interested me for some time, mainly because I'm fascinated by esoteric, obscure religions and ideologies.

There isn't a lot of material available online concerning Oahspe, and the book itself is quite cryptic. I was hoping that perhaps I could speak with a Faithist, if indeed any are available on the internet?

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
While I'm already too preoccupied studying several other religious/sacred/mystical scriptures at the moment, this one is of immense interest that I intend to explore ASAP in the future.
Received/channelled texts are usually interesting, but either fall into the A) Hokey/Derivative or B) Confounding/mindblowing/life-changing, which the latter seems to be the case for Oahspe!

I can't wait to really get into depth in this book(s). Any current RF members familiar with this book(s)?

rknapp

I have mostly read Oahspe 3 times in it's entirety and the back chapters several times more. How did your encounter with Oahspe turn out?

rknapp

Hi! Thanks for starting up this thread.

Oahspe has interested me for some time, mainly because I'm fascinated by esoteric, obscure religions and ideologies.

There isn't a lot of material available online concerning Oahspe, and the book itself is quite cryptic. I was hoping that perhaps I could speak with a Faithist, if indeed any are available on the internet?
If you still attend here, I would like to speak to you.

Rational Agnostic

Oahspe: A Kosmon Bible in the Words of Jehovih and his Angel Embassadors is a book announcing new revelations from God, which was produced by John Ballou Newbrough (1828-1891) by automatic writing, and which was first published by Newbrough in 1882.

Newbrough was a dentist who lived in the Boston, Massachusetts area. The practice of automatic writing was well known during the period in which Oahspe was revealed, largely as a result of the technique being used in the Spiritualist movement. Newbrough believed that angels were dictating the messages that ultimately appeared in Oahspe; large portions of the manuscript were produced by Newbrough by the means of automatic writing upon the recently invented typewriter.

The bulk of Oahspe contains cosmological revelations concerning the evolution of the human race and life on Earth. The text seems to suggest that the Earth travels through various regions of space, and that each of these regions has spiritual and physical consequences for Earth and its inhabitants. These several regions are under the presidency of various supernatural beings who are designated "sons of Jehovih," and as such the text of Oahspe contains separate books like the "Book of Sue, Son of Jehovih" and even the "Book of Thor, Son of Jehovih." One typographical peculiarity of these books is that many of them are printed on pages divided in two, top to bottom. In these, the top half of the page contains a narrative of celestial events, while the bottom half describes the corresponding events on Earth. Oahspe also contains a body of teaching that attempts to explain the origin of all of Earth's religions other than the one it seeks to establish.

While Joseph Smith, Jr. claims to have translated The Book of Mormon from hieroglyphs (termed Reformed Egyptian) engraved on golden plates, Oahspe goes one step further and is profusely illustrated with its hieroglyphs. Unfortunately, the text of Oahspe bristles with unusual jargon, and is also written in a pastiche of King James English; these aspects, and the sheer bulk of the tome, make it rather daunting to the casual reader. Editions of Oahspe contain a "Glossary Of Strange Words Used In This Book," but this glossary is sadly inadequate, covering only a small fraction of the strange words that appear in the text, and giving incomplete explanations of the ones it covers. A sample of the text of Oahspe will give an impression of its style:

1. JEHOVIH said: By virtue of My presence created I the seen and the unseen worlds. And I commanded man to name them; and man called the seen worlds Corper, and the unseen worlds Es; and the inhabitants of Corpor, man called corporeans. But the inhabitants of Es he called sometimes es'eans and sometimes spirits, and sometimes angels.
2. Jehovih said: I created the earth, and fashioned it, and placed it in the firmament; and by My presence brought man forth a living being. A corporeal body gave I him that he might learn corporeal things; and death I made that he might rise in the firmament and inherit My etherean worlds.
3. To es I gave dominion over corpor; with es I filled all place in the firmament. But corpor I made into earths and moons and stars and suns; beyond number made I them, and I caused them to float in the places I allotted to them.
4. Es I divided into two parts, and I commanded man to name them, and he called one etherea and the other atmospherea. These are the three kinds of worlds I created; but I gave different densities to atmospherean worlds, and different densities to the etherean worlds.
5. For the substance of My etherean worlds I created Ethe, the MOST RARIFIED. Out of ethe made I them. And I made ethe the most subtle of all created things, and gave to it power and place, not only by itself, but also power to penetrate and exist within all things, even in the midst of the corporeal worlds. And to ethe gave I dominion over both atmospherea and corpor.
--- From The Book of Jehovih, chapter II

Oahspe is still available under the imprint of the Kosmon Press in California; and as an e-text now in the public domain. Oahspe is the sacred text of a small religious denomination that now calls itself the Faithists of Kosmon; the sect still exists, though the number of its members are dwarfed by the followers of other, less original, nineteenth century alternative Scriptures.

What do you all think of this?

I think it sounds like a huge, steaming load of horse****. What do you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator: