• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O Lucifer

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I believe the first definition of Lucifer is another name for Satan and the second is lucifer (uncapitilized) Venus the morning star or bringer of light. Lucifer was the name of the angel God’s favorite angel before he fell. He then became Satan; prince of darkness.
I would believe you are incorrect. Lucifer has nothing to do with the Christian bible other than being used as an adjective for the many (mis)understandings of the Morning Star/Day Star. St. Jerome misunderstood the meaning of the Hebrew word 'heylel' and translated it into "Lucifer", a Latin word meaning "light-bearer" (from the Latin lux "light" and ferre "to bear or bring").

The word Lucifer at the time of the Vulgate and even at the time of the KJV translation, meant "morning star" or "day star" in reference to Venus. Jerome thought the passage was referring to Satan in addition to the king of Babylon, and because of this, the use of the word "Lucifer" made the transition from a term referring to Venus and the Morning Star to also refer to the Abrahamic Satan. This is clear in the 2014 sermon by Pope Francis;

Lucifer the Roman-Greco deity is mentioned in Publius Ovidius Naso's "Metamorphoses", which was written in 8 B.C.E., the Roman poet Virgil mentions him as far back as 29 B.C.E. And the first mention is from Timaeus by Plato in 360 B.C.E. This Lucifer is also portrayed as a Lunar deity unlike his usual association with Venus.

Isaiah 14:12
“How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground, You who weakened the nations!"

This is in regard to the Babylonian King Nebechudezzner, relating him to the Morning Star which was used for thousands of years in a poetic way for a lower deity who attempts and fails to usurp a higher deity.

Jesus even refers to himself as the 'morning star': Revelation 22:16
"I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

We can see that Lucifer and Yeshua are two different things, not the same, and they certainly would not both be referring to Satan. The Morning Star had been used as a poetic device for thousands of years.

The word Lucifer can be traced to the ancient ideals surrounding the myths associated with the Morningstar and his brother the Evening Star. Early on these myths place the Morningstar into the role of the attempted usurper who is defeated and becomes a ‘fallen’ deity as in Sumerian and Assyrian cosmology. Babylonian myth has the very first association with the concept of a 'fallen' deity and its association with the Morning Star.

The Sumerian king Etana is driven by his pride to strive for the highest seat among the star‑gods on the Northern Mountain . . . but was hurled down by the supreme ruler of the Babylonian Olympus. A Canaanite myth from Phonecia called the "Fall of the day star" describes the fall of Helel ben Shahar (Son of the Dawn). Another Ugaritic myth called the Baal cycle describes the fall of the god Attar from Saphon and the "invasion of the garden of gods". In another Mesopotamian myth, the god Helel tries to overthrow the great god El. Eventually, these myths became the Sumerian story of Ishtar and Inanna's descent into the Underworld. Here Inanna is directly associated with the planet Venus.