• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oðan

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What does this statue mean to you?

images (8).jpeg

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
For me it has a lot of meaning. First and foremost is the conquering of Wisdom over Ignorance.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
The carving reminds me a great deal of Gandalf / Olorin from the Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

I see a wise-looking, elderly, bearded chap with a large pointy hat who appears to have a special relationship with, or affinity for, the animal kingdom and looks like Gandalf the Grey (who in Tolkien's legendarium was described as a "wizard/Istari", that is an incarnate divine spirit or maia).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure on what level you mean, but that's Odin and his wolves, one male and one female, although buggered if I remember their names.
And his ravens of course. But sadly not with his eight-legged horse. Slepnir I think? And I think he's usually just got the one eye, but I'm struggling to see under his hat.

Dumb question, but the spelling you've used in the title...what is that? Old Norse, or some Germanic version, or something? Do the runes on this states depict that spelling?

If you mean more philosophically, sorry, not the right guy. But I always enjoyed (and was sometimes confused) by Norse mythology.
I was epically disappointed when I got myself a whole bevy of Scandinavian friends, and barely any of them had a clue about Norse mythology.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The carving reminds me a great deal of Gandalf / Olorin from the Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

I see a wise-looking, elderly, bearded chap with a large pointy hat who appears to have a special relationship with, or affinity for, the animal kingdom and looks like Gandalf the Grey (who in Tolkien's legendarium was described as a "wizard/Istari", that is an incarnate divine spirit or maia).

Gandalf is actually very much modeled after imagery and descriptions of Odin/Wodan. So you're not off the mark :)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Not sure on what level you mean, but that's Odin and his wolves, one male and one female, although buggered if I remember their names.
And his ravens of course. But sadly not with his eight-legged horse. Slepnir I think? And I think he's usually just got the one eye, but I'm struggling to see under his hat.

Dumb question, but the spelling you've used in the title...what is that? Old Norse, or some Germanic version, or something? Do the runes on this states depict that spelling?

If you mean more philosophically, sorry, not the right guy. But I always enjoyed (and was sometimes confused) by Norse mythology.
I was epically disappointed when I got myself a whole bevy of Scandinavian friends, and barely any of them had a clue about Norse mythology.

Whichever levels you feel like expanding upon.

The wolves are Geri and Freki (both mean ravenous or greedy). The Ravens are Huginn and Muninn (thought and memories).

The spelling I used in the title is to accentuate the pronunciation of His name. Othan. The ð, is pronounced as a 'th'. I'm not sure if the runes are correct. They are in English, where they correspond to O, D, I, and N, respectively. But if you're following my pronunciation which is closer to the Norse pronouncing I think it would be spelled: ᛟᚦᚨᚾ in runes. O'th'a'n.

Edit: I've also seen it spelled ᚢᚦᛁᚾ. U'th'i'n.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It makes me think of a bygone time and how our forebears are looking at us right now, helping and guiding us, but in a non-judgemental way as they're now so far removed from that action themselves that they can see with clearer eyes and have the wisdom of centuries.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
hunter, seeker, guardian because of the staff/pike and dogs/wolves, cloaked in mystery, entertwined with earth/matter, taking knowledge both in the depths and heights, having one vision - non-dualistic because the one eye is hidden, blind-folded

I see the spear as piercing the veil of ignorance, and his one eye, as you said representing non-dual/true perception.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Whichever levels you feel like expanding upon.

The wolves are Geri and Freki (both mean ravenous or greedy). The Ravens are Huginn and Muninn (thought and memories).

The spelling I used in the title is to accentuate the pronunciation of His name. Othan. The ð, is pronounced as a 'th'. I'm not sure if the runes are correct. They are in English, where they correspond to O, D, I, and N, respectively. But if you're following my pronunciation which is closer to the Norse pronouncing I think it would be spelled: ᛟᚦᚨᚾ in runes. O'th'a'n.

All right...that does it. I'm heading to the books. I should have at least remembered the wolves names, but my memory is like a sieve these days.

*quick read*

And I got the horses name wrong, too, although I'm giving myself half a point for being somewhat close. (Sleipnir)
But I thought I had some runic representations of Odin...or Wodin...or...something.
Can't find them though.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
@The Hammer , you might be amused or pleased that my eldest daughter has basically no inclination to learn anything about any religions...except for a fascination with Norse myths. Particularly the ones starring Fenrir. I still haven't figured out what drives that, since she has exactly no interest in Greek, Roman, Native American or Celtic myths, despite my bookshelf being well stocked.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
@The Hammer , you might be amused or pleased that my eldest daughter has basically no inclination to learn anything about any religions...except for a fascination with Norse myths. Particularly the ones starring Fenrir. I still haven't figured out what drives that, since she has exactly no interest in Greek, Roman, Native American or Celtic myths, despite my bookshelf being well stocked.

Have you tried other myths depicting wolves?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you tried other myths depicting wolves?

Yep. We went to Rome pretty recently (end of 2019) and she was mildly interested in the tale of Romulus and Remus. But she has no particular wolf-fetish, or whatever. She actually likes Japanese art and anime, for the most part. Weirdly, I think it might have been the difference of the 'popular' conceptions of Thor and Loki (driven by Marvel) versus the mythological versions which initially hooked her in.

Then something about the whole story of Ragnarok that she found interesting.
She plowed through a copy of Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman I have, and I really didn't think her reading was upto the level, but she asked some pretty relevant questions (that I then had to research).

I've got a lot of Native American mythology on my shelf as well, particularly Plains tribes. Wolves obviously feature pretty commonly, but she has basically no interest in that. (which is fine...just hard to get a handle on what drew her in)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Gandalf is actually very much modeled after imagery and descriptions of Odin/Wodan. So you're not off the mark :)
I've long been surprised Gandalf didn't have to lose an eye to defeat the Balrog and become Gandalf the White.
By the why, what is Othan, exactly?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Huh. That is interesting. Ragnarok is quite the Myth. Like @Ella S. Said, I would have suggested that it was maybe just the wolves. But it could just be the juxtaposition of pop culture Norse vs the accurate myths.

Have her watch Disney's Hercules and see if that sparks a Greek interest :D