• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Number one solution to obesity problem

HonestJoe

What is the number one solution in your opinion?
Eliminating the false belief that there needs to be a single “number one solution”. Why do we need to pick and choose from the options you present and any of the other tools, systems and concepts available?

Nous

Premium Member
I suspect that the problem of overweight/obesity in the US is not entirely due to excessive calories and too little exercise. The US is the fattest country in the world by a large margin, and there are additional plausible factors than calories/exercise.

Americans consume a lot of antibiotics, which are known to have long-term devastating effects on the gut microbiome, including resulting in a larger proportion of bacteria that are more efficient in harvesting calories. American farmers have traditionally given low-dose antibiotics to animals to be slaughtered to eat. And it works well to fatten up the animals quickly on fewer calories.

When my younger brother was in high school he began taking a low dose of an antibiotic on a continual basis for acne. He quickly went from underweight to overweight, while my older brother remained normal weight and I remained underweight (as most of our older relatives had always been). No one at the time connected my brother's weight gain with the antibiotic, but in retrospect there is a clear correlation. I've had one 10-day course of antibiotic in my life, back when I was in my early 20s, and I remain underweight. My older brother, in contrast, began going to the doctor more often as an adult, often getting antibiotics for seemingly minor colds. Today he is overweight (but he eats a lot of meat, bread and sugar).

Opioids, which Americans take inordinately, are well known to lead to weight gain; probably all sorts of pain-killers do likewise, including OTC ones, and all other "downers".

Many different kinds of psychiatric drugs are associated with weight gain, sometimes dramatic and health-threatening. Americans have been taking large amounts of psychiatric drugs for decades now, especially antidepressants.

In fact, I've just named the 3 most commonly prescribed drugs in the US: antibiotics, opioids and antidepressants.

It's plausible that there are other environmental culprits in the US obesity and overweight problem. E.g., chemicals used in manufacturing and farming. There is enough estrogen in some rivers to affect fish.

Anthem

I suspect that the problem of overweight/obesity in the US is not entirely due to excessive calories and too little exercise. The US is the fattest country in the world by a large margin, and there are additional plausible factors than calories/exercise.

Americans consume a lot of antibiotics, which are known to have long-term devastating effects on the gut microbiome, including resulting in a larger proportion of bacteria that are more efficient in harvesting calories. American farmers have traditionally given low-dose antibiotics to animals to be slaughtered to eat. And it works well to fatten up the animals quickly on fewer calories.

When my younger brother was in high school he began taking a low dose of an antibiotic on a continual basis for acne. He quickly went from underweight to overweight, while my older brother remained normal weight and I remained underweight (as most of our older relatives had always been). No one at the time connected my brother's weight gain with the antibiotic, but in retrospect there is a clear correlation. I've had one 10-day course of antibiotic in my life, back when I was in my early 20s, and I remain underweight. My older brother, in contrast, began going to the doctor more often as an adult, often getting antibiotics for seemingly minor colds. Today he is overweight (but he eats a lot of meat, bread and sugar).

Opioids, which Americans take inordinately, are well known to lead to weight gain; probably all sorts of pain-killers do likewise, including OTC ones, and all other "downers".

Many different kinds of psychiatric drugs are associated with weight gain, sometimes dramatic and health-threatening. Americans have been taking large amounts of psychiatric drugs for decades now, especially antidepressants.

In fact, I've just named the 3 most commonly prescribed drugs in the US: antibiotics, opioids and antidepressants.

It's plausible that there are other environmental culprits in the US obesity and overweight problem. E.g., chemicals used in manufacturing and farming. There is enough estrogen in some rivers to affect fish.
The medicine does not cause the weight gain. It makes them eat more that is all.

Nous

Premium Member
The medicine does not cause the weight gain. It makes them eat more that is all.
That's likely true in many cases, and I actually meant to mention that. But antibiotics work well at causing weigt gain, which is why farmers have fed them to livestock animals. We know why antibiotics lead to weight gain. We know why opioids and other downers lead to weight gain on the same number of calories. We know that some psychiatric drugs lead to dramatic and health-threatening weight gain, not associated with mere additional calories.

Anthem

That's likely true in many cases, and I actually meant to mention that. But antibiotics work well at causing weigt gain, which is why farmers have fed them to livestock animals. We know why antibiotics lead to weight gain. We know why opioids and other downers lead to weight gain on the same number of calories. We know that some psychiatric drugs lead to dramatic and health-threatening weight gain, not associated with mere additional calories.
Except that that isn't true

But of course the american pharmacy industry in itself is a ticking time bomb.....

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Education by school? Cultural influece? Parent's responsibility? Health care? Food industry?
common knowledge.....

sugar....is the most destructive chemistry known to Man

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Education by school? Cultural influece? Parent's responsibility? Health care? Food industry?

Look for a job and go to N. Korea for a year. Not as president, of course.

Ciao

- viole

74x12

When your body is craving foods it's because it thinks it will get something it needs. In nature nutrients and fats or sugars are paired. But in junk food it's just fat or just sugar. So your body is craving the fat/sugar when it really wants the nutrients.

What people need is more nutrients. Most people are nutrient deficient.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So what do we do??
I'm 63....and doing blood tests to find the spike
BEFORE I have to test to save my life

meat......as close to pasture as you can get it

water.....all that you need but don't flood yourself

bread....without sugar in the recipe
(good luck with this one)

turns out.....your body reacts to high fructose corn syrup just like table sugar
one is liquid.....the other a solid
but your pancreas will jump first
followed by your liver
the sugar you fail to burn will turn to fat within hours

45grams of sugar per day......just enough for your muscles to work

Anthem

When your body is craving foods it's because it thinks it will get something it needs. In nature nutrients and fats or sugars are paired. But in junk food it's just fat or just sugar. So your body is craving the fat/sugar when it really wants the nutrients.

What people need is more nutrients. Most people are nutrient deficient.
Nah. I believe it is mostly emotional

Anthem

I'm 63....and doing blood tests to find the spike
BEFORE I have to test to save my life

meat......as close to pasture as you can get it

water.....all that you need but don't flood yourself

bread....without sugar in the recipe
(good luck with this one)

turns out.....your body reacts to high fructose corn syrup just like table sugar
one is liquid.....the other a solid
but your pancreas will jump first
followed by your liver
the sugar you fail to burn will turn to fat within hours

45grams of sugar per day......just enough for your muscles to work
To the nation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I used to drink 3bottles of Coke per 8hr shift
I have it down to one

used to eat two processed meat sandwiches for lunch
now....down to one sandwich
I prefer fish now

lost 10lbs in one month

Anthem

I have it down to one

I prefer fish now

lost 10lbs in one month
You should have always drank light ones:D

sealchan

Education by school? Cultural influence? Parent's responsibility? Health care? Food industry?

A systemic issue...

Parents who are busy don't take the time to shop for good food and cook it. Therefore its quick, microwavable meals and fast food.

Also exercise! All of which takes up time. How many people live in a home without a private yard sufficient for exercise? Is a park available and do the parents have the time and energy to go to the park?

Making time in life for the basics and not getting distracted with all the readily available information.

Schools need to allow for physical activity all the way through high school and remove junk food from being accessible. In any environment where people are expected to be confined for several hours they should have options for movement (vs only long-term standing or sitting).

Public transportation improvements can encourage people to walk to the bus stop from home and work and even for outings. Community planning can encourage the same.

Nous

Premium Member

A few references:

Changes in the gut microbiome from low-dose antibiotics caused mice to gain weight. Similar alterations in humans taking antibiotics, especially children, might be adding to the obesity epidemic.​

Antibiotics Linked to Weight Gain

Debilitating chronic nonmalignant pain is often managed using opioid medications. However, with increased use of this drug class comes concern about adverse effects on patients' endocrine function. In the present review, the authors discuss opioid-induced interference with the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, effects on adrenal androgen production, and endocrine deficiency. In addition, the authors describe symptomology for opioid-induced endocrinopathy as well as diagnostic testing options.​

Opioid-Induced Endocrinopathy | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association

Many antipsychotics, including Zyprexa, and some antidepressants, block activity at a kind of neurotransmitter receptor called 5-HT2C, which has been shown to be a trigger for eating behavior and obesity in mice. Other drugs may act on other kinds of receptors involved in weight gain, such as the beta-3 adrenergic receptors in fat tissue. The beta-3 receptors play a role in converting fat into energy, and some psychotropics known to have greater affinity for these receptors are associated with a greater risk of weight gain, according to the SUNY Upstate team.
How Antidepressants And Antipsychotics Cause Weight Gain

See also:

The relationship between opioid and sugar intake: Review of evidence and clinical applications

sealchan

I have it down to one

I prefer fish now

lost 10lbs in one month

I think that the reduction or replacement of soda is a great way many people start to change their diets for the sake of their health. I went from soda to diet to carbonated water. Now it is largely water with carbonated water on occasion.