• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Number Of Born Again Christians In Decline

Skwim

Veteran Member

From a high of about 48% of the US population in 1993 to a low of 31% in 2017.

ACFI+1.jpg

Just to be clear, "born again" refers a person who has "confessed their personal sin, asked Jesus Christ to save them, and believes they will live eternally in Heaven only because of His grace toward them."
According to the linked article, the trend isn't likely to reverse itself in the near future.

"As older Americans pass away, the population proportion of younger adults will increase, continuing to drive down the born again proportion in the years to come. Children and teenagers are exhibiting a lower likelihood of becoming born again, too, further limiting the possibility of the growth of this segment.

The most noteworthy shift in the last two decades, however, is the fact that almost four out of ten born again Christians (38%) currently say that they are Christian but neither Protestant nor Catholic.

George Barna, the researcher and author who has been reporting on these trends for more than three decades, commented that the current ACFI survey is consistent with the religious patterns he has been describing in his research since the early 1980s.

“Christianity in America is going through a time of substantial challenge,” Barna stated. “The Church at-large is not likely to grow in the future unless some fundamental changes in practice are made.
source

So, what do you think this bodes for Christianity in the USA?

church-for-sale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:p

Really, without looking at the data, reporting of whole number percentages over a long-term period such as this doesn't mean a whole lot, necessarily. If you look at the 1991-95 period, you'd think it suddenly peaked, then entered a precipitous decline...only for it to bounce back up again, meander within +/- 8 points of the mean of about 40 for the entire period. Yes, it has entered another period below the mean...but next year could rebound because even though they do try to get a representative sample, even the best representative samples are about +/- 3.5 percent. If you included error bars and a running mean score, this might or might not mean very much.

Now then, they draw some conclusions based on population cohorts, but without providing how those figures have changed over time...that is, in 1991, were most of the born again in the lowest age brackets, and now are in the oldest? Kinda like the progress of the baby boomers through the population?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
From a high of about 48% of the US population in 1993 to a low of 31% in 2917.

ACFI+1.jpg

Just to be clear, "born again" refers a person who has "confessed their personal sin, asked Jesus Christ to save them, and believes they will live eternally in Heaven only because of His grace toward them."
According to the linked article, the trend isn't likely to reverse itself in the near future.

"As older Americans pass away, the population proportion of younger adults will increase, continuing to drive down the born again proportion in the years to come. Children and teenagers are exhibiting a lower likelihood of becoming born again, too, further limiting the possibility of the growth of this segment.

The most noteworthy shift in the last two decades, however, is the fact that almost four out of ten born again Christians (38%) currently say that they are Christian but neither Protestant nor Catholic.

George Barna, the researcher and author who has been reporting on these trends for more than three decades, commented that the current ACFI survey is consistent with the religious patterns he has been describing in his research since the early 1980s.

“Christianity in America is going through a time of substantial challenge,” Barna stated. “The Church at-large is not likely to grow in the future unless some fundamental changes in practice are made.
source

So, what do you think this bodes for Christianity in the USA?.

Prophecy being fulfilled is all I see. Nothing to worry about.

:D

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
Another factor to consider is that the US population is about 25% larger than it was in 1993. A very significant portion of that growth is Hispanic, which is mostly Catholic, which does not use the 'born again' concept. Population growth in the demographics typically associated with 'born again' is not as great as in other demographics. It may be that the born again community is as large as ever but represents a smaller share of a larger total.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Another factor to consider is that the US population is about 25% larger than it was in 1993. A very significant portion of that growth is Hispanic, which is mostly Catholic, which does not use the 'born again' concept. Population growth in the demographics typically associated with 'born again' is not as great as in other demographics. It may be that the born again community is as large as ever but represents a smaller share of a larger total.
The way it defined "born again" would include Catholics and Protestants. It also states there is a growing number of those who call themselves Christian but don't identify as Catholic or Protestant. Me, personally, I've noticed more people who believe being a good person is good enough, and claim to be Christian, but they wouldn't be counted among the "born again."
And it's for the better. The "born again" group is what tends to give America grief. Westborrow Baptist Church, gay "conversion 'therapy,'" televangelists, 700 Club, those who demand Creationism be taught as science, they are included in that group of "born again."

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
The way it defined "born again" would include Catholics and Protestants. It also states there is a growing number of those who call themselves Christian but don't identify as Catholic or Protestant. Me, personally, I've noticed more people who believe being a good person is good enough, and claim to be Christian, but they wouldn't be counted among the "born again."
And it's for the better. The "born again" group is what tends to give America grief. Westborrow Baptist Church, gay "conversion 'therapy,'" televangelists, 700 Club, those who demand Creationism be taught as science, they are included in that group of "born again."

A Catholic would be unlikely to make that choice out of the ten choices offered It screams Protestantism. As a matter of fact, a Catholic would probably not participate in the survey since none of the answers really represent Catholic beliefs very well.

For those Catholics that did participate, the answers most likely to be chosen are:

. When you die you will go to a place of purification before you can enter Heaven

. When you die you will go to Heaven because you have tried to obey the Ten Commandments and God’s rules

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
How do you know how close it is? He said not even he knows only the Father knows.

Nobody is predicting the exact day here. We are just saying that Prophecy is being fulfilled.

Amos 8:11,12

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

InChrist

Free4ever
How do you know how close it is? He said not even he knows only the Father knows.
I don't know how close the return of Christ is or when it will occur. Just saying, I believe it is getting close from the prophetic signs indicated in the scriptures which are occurring now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

ACFI+1.jpg

source

church-for-sale.jpg

I think every religion will have its time.

Christianity as it stands is really getting stale because a lot of young people are realizing there is not much practicality for going to church and pretending something is there in a social setting lasting for an hour or two and then going home every week.

I think there's been also paradigm shift for focusing on careers and trying to make a living in a rough economy and religion really is more of a convenience then essential in a lot of people's lives right now.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The way it defined "born again" would include Catholics and Protestants.
From what I can understand, being 'born again' (in this context) is the notion of a specific, one-time religious experience wherein a person becomes assured of salvation by accepting Christ. As nice as that sounds, it is contrary to Catholic teaching. Catholic teaching does not accept the idea that belief alone assures salvation.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I think there's been also paradigm shift for focusing on careers and trying to make a living in a rough economy and religion really is more of a convenience then essential in a lot of people's lives right now.
It seems to me to be the opposite. Societies tend to become religiously apathetic precisely as they get wealthy and secure. I would wager that the people who have it rough are more religious as a general rule. (Especially in the US).

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It seems to me to be the opposite. Societies tend to become religiously apathetic precisely as they get wealthy and secure. I would wager that the people who have it rough are more religious as a general rule. (Especially in the US).
I can definitely see that going on in areas of the country where that applies.

You could be right to a fair extent, I think it's when people hit a desperate feeling and start reaching out for anything to make life better, a religion can provide a niche and suffice well and helping people cope.

The thing with Christianity though is that it's now a type of religion that has developed quite a bad reputation over the years. I think a lot of it had to do with televangelists and people who are just generally greedy and egotistical to the point now where self promotion and aggrandizing fall center stage.

I think smaller churches with smaller congregations do fair a lot better in retaining its members. There's a flavor associated with "Old-Tyme Gospel" of old that has fallen quite a bit to the wayside with the emergence of larger more modern complexes that appear more institutional and sterile than a smaller House of Prayer would provide.

My best times and memories during my tenure as a Christian was always with smaller congregations and smaller churches.

I think people tend to be healthier and happier in smaller environments and tend to stay longer.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

ACFI+1.jpg

source

church-for-sale.jpg

Over all it could be good news for Christianity. I have found that the most obnoxious of Christians tend to be "born again". They also frequently believe that now that they are "born again" that they cannot sin. A Christian that thinks that no matter what they do it is not wrong because they can't sin any longer can be an immoral monster. I am hoping that this leads to more rational thought among Christians. Though I am not betting the farm on it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
From what I can understand, being 'born again' (in this context) is the notion of a specific, one-time religious experience wherein a person becomes assured of salvation by accepting Christ. As nice as that sounds, it is contrary to Catholic teaching. Catholic teaching does not accept the idea that belief alone assures salvation.
The term, I admit, is more commonly found in Conservative Protestant denominations. But with this poll the term is loosely defined enough that it can include Catholics. Even you, a Catholic, have said that Salvation is from the grace of god, which can fit in with this poll's definition of born again.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

ACFI+1.jpg

source

church-for-sale.jpg

Hopefully it indicates a return to healthier versions of Christianity. Much of American Christianity has been almost exclusively in the theoretical room of ideas--one is saved by adhering to a certain amount of intellectual propositions, and is not expected to live their faith in any appreciable manner outside of reading a holy book and warming a part of a pew on Sunday morning. American Christianity to a large extent has not been about transforming the life of the Christian and making them into a better person or about making the community or society better, but about impressing a system of ideas, a way of thinking and a political agenda to be slavishly adhered to at the voting booth. If anyone DOES improve their behavior and clean up their life, it's not because they worked together with God and prayed and struggled, but because they just don't believe hard enough yet. It's been run like a multi-level marketing scheme where once you've been discipled and "born again", it's now your job to go out and disciple other people--usually by telling them that they're wrong and hellbound and they have to accept what you tell them because it's written in this book you're waving in their face. And if the Holy Spirit hasn't WWE-style elbow-dropped them and magically transformed their lives in a single instant, well, those people just don't have grace yet and they're just not saved yet.

Many churches are already taking the hint that maybe Jesus really meant it when He said that we should be taking care of the poor and sick, clothing the naked, visiting the elderly and the imprisoned, feeding the hungry, denying ourselves and taking up our cross. And maybe we're supposed to be transformed from glory to glory in the Holy Spirit and love one another. Maybe we're supposed to be loving, patient, kind, merciful, forgiving of our enemies, be good fathers and mothers, and meet people where they're at. Maybe a lack of this has been what's killing American churches, and why congregations who start doing these things consistently see a massive turnaround.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have found that the most obnoxious of Christians tend to be "born again". They also frequently believe that now that they are "born again" that they cannot sin.
Gandhi felt much the same as he noted that people who believe in "once saved, always saved" tended to all too often be arrogant and aggressive and sinning as if it really didn't matter that much to them.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I have found that the most obnoxious of Christians tend to be "born again". They also frequently believe that now that they are "born again" that they cannot sin. A Christian that thinks that no matter what they do it is not wrong because they can't sin any longer can be an immoral monster.
St. John had exactly these kinds of people in mind 2000 years ago...
(1 John 1:6-8)
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; 7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

idav

Being
Premium Member

ACFI+1.jpg

source

church-for-sale.jpg

That sounds like a good sign for the age of information and in a country where the “word of god” is not hard to miss. Especially considering the ever increasing populations. Younger generations will undoubtedly be more reasonable about faith in general. Something has to change or they will lose their flocks and having new adherents to curb the decline is not viable.