• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nude portrait of Zapata sparks outrage, protests in Mexico City

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nude, Pin-Up-Style Portrait Of Emiliano Zapata Sparks Protests In Mexico City

Picture a nude George Washington riding a white horse, wearing high heels and nothing but a coquettish pout on his lips. Now imagine a portrait of the scene hanging at the National Portrait Gallery in the nation's capital.

That's not much different from what is happening in Mexico's most prestigious museum, Palacio de Bellas Artes, which is displaying a controversial portrait of Emiliano Zapata, one of the country's most beloved revolutionary heroes.

The small painting by 32-year-old artist Fabián Cháirez, called "La Revolución," has provoked outrage and protests by a handful of Zapata's descendants and a farmers union. They are demanding its immediate removal from the show, marking 100 years since the fighter's death.

The artist explains why he painted Zapata in that manner:

It is precisely because Zapata has always been identified with stereotypical masculine imagery, that Cháirez felt a need to create a effeminate version of the war hero, he told PlayGround, a Spanish-language news outlet.

In Cháirez' painting, a naked Zapata looks like a pin-up girl, flirtatiously glancing over his left shoulder as he rides an aroused white stallion. A red, white and green ribbon swirls around his delicate figure. While his mustache is familiar, Zapata's large sombrero is pink and, instead of a boot, the campesino wears a black high-heel. Its stiletto looks like revolver.

When asked about the controversy, the artist said it is "because there are people who think that issues of femininity, race or social position can be used as insults."

"It causes them to reject the feminine ... [because] we are in a super macho society," Cháirez told El Universal.

"There are some people who are bothered by bodies that do not obey the rules. In this case, where is the offense? They see an offense because [Zapata] is feminized," he added.

The painting can be seen by clicking the link on the article. The artist explains why he feminized Zapata, but what's with the "aroused horse"? That's the part I wish I could "unsee."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I love it. Challenge the stereotype of the macho man image. Even macho men, have a little feminine in them somewhere, much to their dismay. Art has a way of bursting our myths about ourselves.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I love it. Challenge the stereotype of the macho man image. Even macho men, have a little feminine in them somewhere, much to their dismay. Art has a way of bursting our myths about ourselves.
Effeminate works in some ways, like in film and art, but truth be told masculinity is the best bet if you want to actually survive in life.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I doubt I'd like a picture of any nude Mexicano, but Melania Trump's nude photo arouses me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Effeminate works in some ways, like in film and art, but truth be told masculinity is the best bet if you want to actually survive in life.
Can't say I've ever known a man to die from being effeminate. I can think of many who are far more successful at capitalism than you, however.

PureX

Veteran Member
Nude, Pin-Up-Style Portrait Of Emiliano Zapata Sparks Protests In Mexico City

The artist explains why he painted Zapata in that manner:

The painting can be seen by clicking the link on the article. The artist explains why he feminized Zapata, but what's with the "aroused horse"? That's the part I wish I could "unsee."
It's a cheap, easy way for a not-very-creative artist to gain immediate attention. It does nothing for it's supposed cause, and it adds nothing of import or significance to the body of art in the world. It's little more than a silly visual 'stunt' to gain attention.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Actually, too much of either is unhealthy. Yin/Yang is a balance. How many "macho" men, get themselves killed through over-agressions? How many end up with stress-related illnesses, such as heart attacks? Men and women have both masculine and feminine traits. Repress those, and expect imbalances, which leads to diseases.

So go ahead, release that inner woman, macho men everywhere. ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So my inner woman says "I've just washed my hair and I can't do a thing with it." While my inner macho man says "Screw it."
And your inner woman says, "Have some self-respect, you unkempt brute. How would you survive without me?" :)