• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuclear War and Other Species

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of the discussions I have read about scenarios of nuclear fallout seem to me lacking consideration for the effects on lifeforms besides humans. For example, some people have proposed a sci-fi-like scenario of building and inhabiting underground shelters and bunkers, or moving to areas less affected by the immediate effects of a nuclear strike.

But what about plants, non-human animals, insects, etc.? We need them to survive, and they're part of the life on this planet that we can't—or at least shouldn't, in my opinion—categorically view as mere collateral damage in our own wars. Even if we somehow managed to save ourselves from dying in a nuclear fallout, what would our life look like with mass destruction of other species?

When I think about the possibilities of what life would look like in such a scenario, sometimes I think I would rather catch the first nuke and head out in case of a nuclear war. I'm not sure that this is exactly how I would feel if that scenario ever became real (and I hope I never have to find out), but the idea isn't exactly appealing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Wait, are you suggesting humans should give a **** about the rest of the animal kingdom? Curiouser and curiouser. People don't even care about the effect of fireworks.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Wait, are you suggesting humans should give a **** about the rest of the animal kingdom? Curiouser and curiouser. People don't even care about the effect of fireworks.

I'm also suggesting that even someone who doesn't care about preservation of plants and animals should care about them in the event of nuclear fallout due to their importance for human life. The whole idea that they're completely dispensable is self-destructive even if we set aside how ethically flawed it is.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
CND was rather active when I was growing up but I suspected it wouldn't have any effects on reducing the proliferation or banning of nuclear weapons (and it didn't), but I think it is time for CND II - so as to actually get rid of them all. Even if other weapons might take their place. These too should be then banned. Putin and his rhetoric over Ukraine has made it almost impossible to not wonder if and when they might be used - and not as in a nation being threatened but by some idiot like Putin in the furtherance of their territorial aims. Time to give them the boot. :oops:

Last edited:

Soandso

When I think about the possibilities of what life would look like in such a scenario, sometimes I think I would rather catch the first nuke and head out in case of a nuclear war.

I live right down the street from a secondary strike location, so It's all good! :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm also suggesting that even someone who doesn't care about preservation of plants and animals should care about them in the event of nuclear fallout due to their importance for human life. The whole idea that they're completely dispensable is self-destructive even if we set aside how ethically flawed it is.
Yes, it's as if we're just one constituent of a biosphere. You break too many food chain links and it all collapses.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Most of the discussions I have read about scenarios of nuclear fallout seem to me lacking consideration for the effects on lifeforms besides humans. For example, some people have proposed a sci-fi-like scenario of building and inhabiting underground shelters and bunkers, or moving to areas less affected by the immediate effects of a nuclear strike.

But what about plants, non-human animals, insects, etc.? We need them to survive, and they're part of the life on this planet that we can't—or at least shouldn't, in my opinion—categorically view as mere collateral damage in our own wars. Even if we somehow managed to save ourselves from dying in a nuclear fallout, what would our life look like with mass destruction of other species?

When I think about the possibilities of what life would look like in such a scenario, sometimes I think I would rather catch the first nuke and head out in case of a nuclear war. I'm not sure that this is exactly how I would feel if that scenario ever became real (and I hope I never have to find out), but the idea isn't exactly appealing.
A side thought it might give other lifeforms a shot at sapience once humans are out of the way.

I'm mostly convinced the Fermi Paradox is a valid assessment.