• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet and Nazi costume

danieldemol

Premium Member
Wasn't sure what to make of this;
'NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet apologises for wearing Nazi costume on 21st birthday'
Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/d...ologises/0d28122c-71bd-4731-ba80-fca4bf79fcbf

I mean its great that he regrets his decision to wear a Nazi costume, but at 21 I believe he wasn't exactly an immature teenager or something, are we sure we want someone who didn't have enough responsibility by the age of 21 to work out that wearing a costume associated with the genocide of millions of people wasn't a good idea at the reigns of state parliament?

Your thoughts?
In my opinion.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I'm strongly NOT a supporter of him. But his apology seemed sincere and I'd drop it at that.

At 21 he was too immature to realise it was offensive!!!

I thought the attempted apology actually made it worse.

And my initial reaction on hearing the story was inappropriate but I won't go into it because I'm deeply ashamed and I'm definitely old enough to know better.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
It wasn't such a big deal in that time period, if a 21 yr old wore it today it would be much worse

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
He should have known better, but 21 one is still often not fully an adult. His apology appears to be genuine. The question is how has he acted since then? I have no clue about this man. But as a politician it is hard to hide one's true beliefs.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
What about someone that dresses as a vampire or serial killer for a costume party??

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
He should have known better, but 21 one is still often not fully an adult. His apology appears to be genuine. The question is how has he acted since then? I have no clue about this man. But as a politician it is hard to hide one's true beliefs.

He's very good at faking genuine.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Everyone seemed to forgive Justin Trudeau for going “blackface”:

15F09116-4A7D-4EDC-8245-205AD4F712E8.jpeg
1FA8B130-9C89-4118-92DE-6125C3755653.jpeg

Brian2

Veteran Member
Wasn't sure what to make of this;
'NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet apologises for wearing Nazi costume on 21st birthday'
Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/d...ologises/0d28122c-71bd-4731-ba80-fca4bf79fcbf

I mean its great that he regrets his decision to wear a Nazi costume, but at 21 I believe he wasn't exactly an immature teenager or something, are we sure we want someone who didn't have enough responsibility by the age of 21 to work out that wearing a costume associated with the genocide of millions of people wasn't a good idea at the reigns of state parliament?

Your thoughts?
In my opinion.

The NSW State elections are in March this year. This is a preemptive strike by Dominic because the opposition could have said something about it just before the election.

Brian2

Veteran Member
He was young and innocentish.
It was a costume party guys.
Things have changed since when he was 21 in 2003. Cancel culture is with us now.
He is now a politician heading for an election in about 3 months.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
At 21 he was too immature to realise it was offensive!!!

I mean...21 is an adult, so bollocks to that.
But times were different. Do I mean it was fine back then? No. But it wasn't a hanging offence. Would be different if a 21 year old did it today, honestly.

PureX

Veteran Member
I worry about the mind that would choose that costume. It smells of little arrogant rich boy stupidity. And little arrogant rich boys nearly always grow up to be big arrogant rich boys. Many of whom go into politics.

Normally I'm all for forgiving the foolishness of youth. But I think there's more to it then that. And he needs to be thinking long and hard about why he would have chose that costume and think it's cool, or funny, or whatever he thought it was at the time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some people are easily triggered by Hitler.
Others find Hitler worthy of mockery & humor.
After all, he was a problem of the last century.
From "The Producers"...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I worry about the mind that would choose that costume. It smells of little arrogant rich boy stupidity. And little arrogant rich boys nearly always grow up to be big arrogant rich boys. Many of whom go into politics.

Normally I'm all for forgiving the foolishness of youth. But I think there's more to it then that. And he needs to be thinking long and hard about why he would have chose that costume and think it's cool, or funny, or whatever he thought it was at the time.

I personally have a pretty low opinion of him, and his background is not one that is likely to move me to empathy. I also have a low opinion of him as a politician, although he's not in my state, so it doesn't matter too much. Anyways, I agree with much of what you've said here.

Still, let the public decide at the next election. His apology is enough to get him to that, in my opinion.
He's facing further questions over the 'hypocrisy' of having called out opposition politicians who had attended a pro-Palestine rally that included Nazi symbols and images (including depicting Benjamin Netanyahu as a Hitler).

Dominic Perrottet grilled over 2017 Labor sledge after wearing Nazi uniform | The Australian

That seems nonsensical to me. He did something stupid and ignorant, in a time when such things were more common, and at an age where stupidity and ignorance are more common.
It's not the same as calling others Nazis, using Nazi symbology to make political points, or (most importantly) supporting Nazism in any fashion.

I would have voted him out as swiftly as possible before this, and I would vote him out as swiftly as possible after this, so that may be why I'm less concerned about the incident. It impacts my opinion of him very little.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hitler is on Family Guy so often that
he qualifies for a "Best Of" clip show.
Mild profanity....