• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NRA and Thomas the Train?

The hoods were representing how liberals viewed Thomas the Tank Engine before the introduction of women and minorities. Thinking it was all racist to begin with necessitating that they must suddenly diversify the program right away.

Did anyone actually say that though? Seems was just a rant against the producer's idea of including foreign and female trains.

Doubt she complained when they turned the trains into Yanks to cater to an audience, not sure why this is any different. That's capitalism after all...

sealchan

Ya know...this racism accusation could be made for the NRA's foes.
Democrats in particular use their anti-gun rights arguments to prevent black
people from being able to defend themselves....& being a threat to white folk.
If only government has guns, then black folk are more controllable. It's the
same reason they keep blacks down with a punishing welfare system.
Good....now we've all called each other "racist".

Who is bringing race into the conversation? NRA.

Why are they so upset by what that TV show did? Because the implied values of the producers of that TV show must differ significantly from what the implied values of the NRA are.

Why is the NRA even making this their issue? Fear. Xenophobia. Fear that white people are fast becoming a minority and may loose their privilege and status.

I can take racism out of the equation. But can the NRA stick to their mandate? Here is what their foundation statement says...

About The NRA Foundation
The heart of The NRA Foundation’s mission is preserving the core of our American values and traditions in our steadfast effort to Teach Freedom.

Established in 1990, The NRA Foundation, Inc. (“NRA Foundation”) is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters and competitive shooters.

Where in this does it suggest that what a TV show does in this country to change the characters on its program has anything to do about 2nd Amendment rights when that show doesn't discuss guns or gun ownership at all?

Look! You can rest assured that that TV series is pro-gun rights...

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Water-Pistol-Capacity/dp/B0056Z3X94

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Did anyone actually say that though? Seems was just a rant against the producer's idea of including foreign and female trains.

Doubt she complained when they turned the trains into Yanks to cater to an audience, not sure why this is any different. That's capitalism after all...
It was just speculation. I scroll down as well through commentary on various articles and it seems to have a few going in this direction.

Either way it wasn't very smart on the NRA's part. Personally I don't see any problem if you want to include females or minorities. The only thing I would have issue with is if they did something like recasting a character into something different to satisfy A diversity requirement.

I'm puzzled as to why the introduction of new characters would be such a big deal whether they be women or minorities in this case. It's not like the original characters are being cast aside. At least I don't think they are.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Who is bringing race into the conversation? NRA.
I refer to what's going on in RF, ie, linking the NRA with the KKK.
That's.....less than reasonable.
Why are they so upset by what that TV show did? Because the implied values of the producers of that TV show must differ significantly from what the implied values of the NRA are.

Why is the NRA even making this their issue? Fear. Xenophobia. Fear that white people are fast becoming a minority and may loose their privilege and status.

I can take racism out of the equation. But can the NRA stick to their mandate? Here is what their foundation statement says...

Where in this does it suggest that what a TV show does in this country to change the characters on its program has anything to do about 2nd Amendment rights when that show doesn't discuss guns or gun ownership at all?

Look! You can rest assured that that TV series is pro-gun rights...

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Water-Pistol-Capacity/dp/B0056Z3X94
I don't know why the NRA is going in this loopy direction.

suncowiam

Ya know...this racism accusation could be made for the NRA's foes.
Democrats in particular use their anti-gun rights arguments to prevent black
people from being able to defend themselves....& being a threat to white folk.
If only government has guns, then black folk are more controllable. It's the
same reason they keep blacks down with a punishing welfare system.
Good....now we've all called each other "racist".

Give me an example? I'm not seeing this right now and it could be my liberalism tinted glasses...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not the welfare that is punishing. It's trying to step above it that is absolutely brutal.
You're not supposed to encourage me to continue derailing the thread.
But I can't say no to you.
A big problem with welfare, or rather the social safety net in general,
is that benefits are quickly cut off if the beneficiary earns money.
This encourages dependency on the dole.
Don't tell anyone I said this, cuz I might look generous to the unaware.....
I'd prefer to continue paying benefits to people who find work, & only
gradually ween them off the dole as their income increases. I think
this approach would not only be fairer, but would ultimately cost less.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You're not supposed to encourage me to continue derailing the thread.
But I can't say no to you.
A big problem with welfare, or rather the social safety net in general,
is that benefits are quickly cut off if the beneficiary earns money.
This encourages dependency on the dole.
Don't tell anyone I said this, cuz I might look generous to the unaware.....
I'd prefer to continue paying benefits to people who find work, & only
gradually ween them off the dole as their income increases. I think
this approach would not only be fairer, but would ultimately cost less.
Such a thing would make it less frightening for me to venture "back out there" into a financial/economic sea that dashed me against the rocks over medical expenses.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You're just reinforcing the earlier problem, ie, equating the KKK with the NRA.
You can be better than that.
Where did I equate them. I did not. I called them "birds of a feather" which means that they have similar attitudes which is not "equating" the two of them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where did I equate them. I did not. I called them "birds of a feather" which means that they have similar attitudes which is not "equating" the two of them.
Close enuf.
I wanted a better word, but I'm in an under the weather fog, & couldn't think of one.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Rather than using its limited resources for arguing against racially diverse cartoons of trains, the NRA should be more concerned with getting the court injunction lifted against Defense Distributed's U.S. Constitutionally protected 1st and 2nd amendment legal rights to publicly share online digital files for 3-D printed guns.