• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now That I Understand The Bible Better, I Dislike The Sacrireligious More Than The Irreligious

james bond

I watched The Last Temptation of Christ by Martin Scorsese for the first time over a month ago. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth since Scorsese is Catholic, but decided to do a controversial version of the Crucifixion and last days of Christ. The book which the story is based on is described as "inspired by the theories of Sigmund Freud and historical materialism and perverts and hurts the Gospel discernment and the God-man figure of our Lord Jesus Christ in a coarse, vulgar and blasphemous way."

It's difficult enough understanding the Bible in correct context, and I can accept a Jesus movie without the sacredness, but this was sacrilegious and just makes mockery the life of Christ. It's a great insult.

The film is about Jesus Christ and his struggle with "various forms of temptation including fear, doubt, depression, reluctance and lust. This results in the book and film depicting Christ being tempted by imagining himself engaged in sexual activities, a notion that has caused outrage from some Christians."

The Last Temptation of Christ (film) - Wikipedia

With the tremendous variety of movies around today, we definitely need to avoid certain ones that have no value to Christians even though the topic may be of interest. However, if subject to such movies, it's okay to express one's displeasure. This is because the person causing the angst is Christian themselves. For them to make mockery just rubs me the wrong way. It's not like betrayal, but anger over someone deliberately misintepreting Scripture and then throwing it back in your face. Am I overreacting?

EDIT: I didn't watch his newer 2016 movie Silence. Here's an article of what Pope Francis thought.

Martin Scorsese and Pope Francis Met To Discuss ”Silence“

Last edited:

pearl

EDIT: I didn't watch his newer 2016 movie Silence. Here's an article of what Pope Francis thought.

Silence" (Paramount) is a dramatically powerful but theologically complex work best suited to viewers who come to the multiplex prepared to engage with serious issues.

Those willing to make such an intellectual investment, however, will find themselves richly rewarded.

In adapting Catholic author Shusaku Endo's 1966 fact-based historical novel, a project in the works since the late 1980s, Scorsese finds himself in what might be called Graham Greene territory. As fans of that British novelist know, he had a fondness for stretching and twisting fundamental issues of faith and morality, and Endo's plot shows the same tendency. So this is also not a film for the poorly catechized.

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/silence.cfm

pearl

The book which the story is based on is described as "inspired by the theories of Sigmund Freud and historical materialism and perverts and hurts the Gospel discernment and the God-man figure of our Lord Jesus Christ in a coarse, vulgar and blasphemous way."

I have not seen the 'Last Temptation of Christ', But it is our belief that Jesus was 'wholly human' as well as 'wholly God'.
Why would he not be subject to the same human weakness as we are. In the gospel of Philip one of the disciples suggest that Jesus loves MM more than the others, and kissed her on the mouth.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I don't think you're over-reacting, It's like treason, the worst and lowest. But they will pay in the end i'm sure of it. Those type's, those against Christ in such vile ways will get it the worst I bet. Eternal life as toilet scrubbers or something...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Scorsese's film the Last Temptation of Christ was not a mockery of Christ. He was completely taken aback at some people's reaction to it, as to him he saw it as very devotional. It's too bad some Christians have such closed minds that can't look at faith expressed with other, sometimes unconventional perceptions.

Personally, believing Jesus was tempted just like us, believing even he was not some celibate priest, that he may actually have had relations with Mary, or even married to her, is only shocking to those who imagine him as not human at all. That says more about their faith, then it does Scorsese's.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
is described as "inspired by the theories of Sigmund Freud and historical materialism and perverts and hurts the Gospel discernment and the God-man figure of our Lord Jesus Christ in a coarse, vulgar and blasphemous way."
One wonders who it is that described it as such?

Do you ever stop and wonder if perhaps YOU might not have the one true understanding of the Bible you think you have?

What if, and I understand that your faith may not allow you to even try thinking about it, but what if Westboro Baptist Church is 100% correct?

james bond

I have not seen the 'Last Temptation of Christ', But it is our belief that Jesus was 'wholly human' as well as 'wholly God'.
Why would he not be subject to the same human weakness as we are. In the gospel of Philip one of the disciples suggest that Jesus loves MM more than the others, and kissed her on the mouth.

Not worth the time and effort in my opinion. That said, since you believe Jesus was wholly Martin Scorsese/whoever wrote the book "human," then you may get something out of it and not feel the way I do.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

He didn't say, "No! I'm a liar. A hypocrite. I'm afraid of everything. I never tell the truth. I don't have the courage. When I see a woman, I blush and look away. But inside I have lust. For God, I smother the lust, and that satisfies my pride. But my pride destroys Magdalene. I never steal or fight, or kill... not because I don't want to but because I'm afraid. I want to rebel against everything, everybody... against God!... but I'm afraid. If you look inside me you see fear, that's all. Fear is my mother, my father, my God."

Heh.

james bond

Silence" (Paramount) is a dramatically powerful but theologically complex work best suited to viewers who come to the multiplex prepared to engage with serious issues.

Those willing to make such an intellectual investment, however, will find themselves richly rewarded.

In adapting Catholic author Shusaku Endo's 1966 fact-based historical novel, a project in the works since the late 1980s, Scorsese finds himself in what might be called Graham Greene territory. As fans of that British novelist know, he had a fondness for stretching and twisting fundamental issues of faith and morality, and Endo's plot shows the same tendency. So this is also not a film for the poorly catechized.

http://www.catholicnews.com/services/englishnews/2016/silence.cfm

Probably not my cup of tea according to this review. Scorsese has films you like and others you hate. I think he likes being polarizing.

Silence (2016) …review and/or viewer comments • Christian Spotlight on the Movies • ChristianAnswers.Net

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Not worth the time and effort in my opinion. That said, since you believe Jesus was wholly Martin Scorsese/whoever wrote the book "human," then you may get something out of it and not feel the way I do.

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

He didn't say, "No! I'm a liar. A hypocrite. I'm afraid of everything. I never tell the truth. I don't have the courage. When I see a woman, I blush and look away. But inside I have lust. For God, I smother the lust, and that satisfies my pride. But my pride destroys Magdalene. I never steal or fight, or kill... not because I don't want to but because I'm afraid. I want to rebel against everything, everybody... against God!... but I'm afraid. If you look inside me you see fear, that's all. Fear is my mother, my father, my God."

Heh.
So it is your opinion that Jesus was nothing more than God walking on Earth?
What is it you think Jesus purpose was?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never seen it, but stopped watching passion plays a long time ago. Maybe for some people passion plays are a tool that helps them, but I think generally passion plays are used in unhealthy ways. Often they are fund raisers, or they are guilt trips, or they are used to accuse Jews of being killers. People walk in, see the show, shed tears and feel anger; then they leave and start to forget the show. Sometimes these shows create ignorance, too; because they are taken as representative of historical events which they are ill equipped to portray.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He also said you are the light of the world. Does that mean you aren't human either?

Heh.
You mean to say that this is what being a human being means to you? Why such radical, extreme opposites? "If I don't love you, it means I want to kill you"? What???

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe the difference is 'humanly perfect' or 'perfectly human',
Is there a difference, really? Isn't the imperfection what makes us perfect? It's like the japanese tea cups with cracks in them filled with gold to seal them. Such imperfections makes the perfection of the cup. So are we. They reflect reality. Why do we make artificial standards that don't exist anywhere in reality?

james bond

I don't think you're over-reacting, It's like treason, the worst and lowest. But they will pay in the end i'm sure of it. Those type's, those against Christ in such vile ways will get it the worst I bet. Eternal life as toilet scrubbers or something...

According to John Milton in Paradise Lost, the blasphemers will get the lowest level in hell below the murderers and bearers of false witness and the like. I'm not sure though as there are different versions.

james bond

Scorsese's film the Last Temptation of Christ was not a mockery of Christ. He was completely taken aback at some people's reaction to it, as to him he saw it as very devotional. It's too bad some Christians have such closed minds that can't look at faith expressed with other, sometimes unconventional perceptions.

Personally, believing Jesus was tempted just like us, believing even he was not some celibate priest, that he may actually have had relations with Mary, or even married to her, is only shocking to those who imagine him as not human at all. That says more about their faith, then it does Scorsese's.

I would prefer Scorsese takes a Karl Marx preacher figure and makes him the protagonist that we sympathize with. In the end. a mysterious gangster-like Semetic figure bathe in light cutd his penis off and we see the Marx figure die due to loss of blood and people just walk over or around him. Or maybe he cuts off the tongue of a Baruch Spinoza looking character after he violently beats up hundreds of Christians and takes their money. He gets his tongue, thumbs removed and he is lobotomized and ends up in a carnival.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
According to John Milton in Paradise Lost, the blasphemers will get the lowest level in hell below the murderers and bearers of false witness and the like. I'm not sure though as there are different versions.

What's he know, He's guessing like anybody else. But it is the only "unforgiveable" sin.

pearl

Is there a difference, really? Isn't the imperfection what makes us perfect?

Either Jesus was truly human or he wasn't. Through His words and actions we know that in our human weakness it is possible to resist temptation. There is no reason to think that Jesus was not tempted in the same way as we.