• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now it's the Southern Baptists

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Rape is an epidemic in the healthcare industry, where doctors routinely rape patients. We all need to recognize this.
Rape is an epidemic throughout society. It's not this group or that group, but everyone in society. Are all Catholic priests child molesters? Of course not. Most Southern Baptists? Nope. The same goes for doctors, the military, cops, teachers, and so on.
So, how about we get back on topic instead of attempting to deflect attention off the church? A church with a pretty poor history and their uncouth beliefs and positions. For all the problems you bring up in other organizations, the Southern Baptists are the ones who split off from the main group so they could support, condone, and endorse slavery. They created themselves to oppress people. And when I was exposed to their beliefs in the 90s, they were still very much into oppression of black people and women.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Rape is an epidemic throughout society. It's not this group or that group, but everyone in society. Are all Catholic priests child molesters? Of course not. Most Southern Baptists? Nope. The same goes for doctors, the military, cops, teachers, and so on.
So, how about we get back on topic instead of attempting to deflect attention off the church? A church with a pretty poor history and their uncouth beliefs and positions. For all the problems you bring up in other organizations, the Southern Baptists are the ones who split off from the main group so they could support, condone, and endorse slavery. They created themselves to oppress people. And when I was exposed to their beliefs in the 90s, they were still very much into oppression of black people and women.

I'm glad we agree then that rape and child molestation is not more prevalent in Church organizations than it is anywhere else. People fail to realize that there are over a million Catholics and hundeds of thousands of Baptists -that's why their numbers are high... It's basic math.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm glad we agree then that rape and child molestation is not more prevalent in Church organizations
I didn't say it wasn't. I don't know if it is or not. It's not something I've cared to look into, because it's a problem no matter who is doing it or where.
People fail to realize that there are over a million Catholics and hundeds of thousands of Baptists -that's why their numbers are high... It's basic math.
One complaint of the Catholic church is their attempts to suppress information, blame victims, and harbor fugitives of the law. The Southern Baptist Church, on the other hand, is an extremely insular subculture.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Good point @nPeace, in fact just the other day I read about a woman who was completely paralyzed and could not even speak who was living at a care facility and remarkably gave birth to a little boy! But this was no virgin birth, as nobody expected it to be. When the DNA test came back, the nurses aid was quickly arrested and taken into custody for rape.

And @Shadow Wolf, @Revoltingest, and @Jose Fly, these are care fatalities who "claim" to care for the needy! Clearly it's time to drop this erroneous belief that healthcare facilities care for peoples health.

Woman in vegetative state gives birth at Hacienda Healthcare in Phoenix
I think when we start attacking system we don't like, we tend to lose sight of the fact that it's people that carry out actions, and people are in every system - including the most trusted system.

nPeace

Veteran Member
We've pretty much discussed all the others in other threads, so your whattaboutism is redundant and unnecessary in a thread that is looking at specifically the Southern Baptist church.
I only came here after someone said they searched high and low, and could not find any information, like the information I posted.
My work is done here.
Enjoy.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's wrong.
People are corrupt even without power.
But with it, their corruption shines brightly.
That's not exactly right, either. Not everyone is corrupt. But it's nearly always those who are that seek out positions of authority, only to abuse it when they get it.

PureX

Veteran Member
So conservative churches simply are not safe places for children. That's quite a revelation, isn't it?
Conservatives do tend to be more authoritarian than liberals, yes. But I think it's important to remember that conservatism is not synonymous with authoritarianism, and neither is religion. It just happens that a lot of conservative religious sects have become authoritarian cults.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Anything that represses, restricts, and demonizes sexual habits you will arguably end up with things like this.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment, but it honestly sounds to me like you're saying that if such things as pedophilia were not "demonized," it would not be taking place.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Good point @nPeace, in fact just the other day I read about a woman who was completely paralyzed and could not even speak who was living at a care facility and remarkably gave birth to a little boy! But this was no virgin birth, as nobody expected it to be. When the DNA test came back, the nurses aid was quickly arrested and taken into custody for rape.

And @Shadow Wolf, @Revoltingest, and @Jose Fly, these are care fatalities who "claim" to care for the needy! Clearly it's time to drop this erroneous belief that healthcare facilities care for peoples health.

Woman in vegetative state gives birth at Hacienda Healthcare in Phoenix
Pay closer attention. No one is saying that Christian churches are the only places where sexual abuse occurs. As I noted earlier...I'm trying to think of a non-religious large organization that has a decades long history of harboring pedophiles, shuttling them around, covering up their crimes, and publicly shaming their victims, but I'm drawing a blank.

Do you understand? It's all of those things occurring together in institutions that claim to have a sort of moral authority because they're on the side of God.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Pay closer attention. No one is saying that Christian churches are the only places where sexual abuse occurs. As I noted earlier...I'm trying to think of a non-religious large organization that has a decades long history of harboring pedophiles, shuttling them around, covering up their crimes, and publicly shaming their victims, but I'm drawing a blank.

Do you understand? It's all of those things occurring together in institutions that claim to have a sort of moral authority because they're on the side of God.
Good point. The only other type of organisation I can think of with any parallels is perhaps in sport. There has been a series of cases in football and other sports where this sort of thing has occurred and apparently been hushed up, allowing the perpetrators to pursue their careers. What I suspect they have in common is being a world unto themselves, with little public accountability, scrutiny and audit. But of course with religious organisations it is especially scandalous, for self-evident reasons.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Good point. The only other type of organisation I can think of with any parallels is perhaps in sport. There has been a series of cases in football and other sports where this sort of thing has occurred and apparently been hushed up, allowing the perpetrators to pursue their careers. What I suspect they have in common is being a world unto themselves, with little public accountability, scrutiny and audit. But of course with religious organisations it is especially scandalous, for self-evident reasons.
And in some circles, sports are considered to be holy and untouchable in much the same way as religion.

exchemist

Veteran Member
And in some circles, sports are considered to be holy and untouchable in much the same way as religion.
Sports governing bodies are notable for their degree of corruption (e.g. Samaranch, Sepp Blatter etc) . They are run like a business and nowadays command a great deal of money, from sponsorships, advertising etc, yet do not have the normal business controls, such as regular audits, accountability to shareholders, anti-monopoly protection for consumers and so on. Results? Epic corruption and malpractice.

Religion also flies under the radar of government and so we see the same sorts of things. The lesson, surely, is that all organisations with a public role need mechanisms to ensure openness and accountability to the communities they serve.