• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Belgium bans burqa in public places

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh good lord, making women stop wearing burqas isn't going to stop domestic violence.

That's treating the symptom rather than the disease.

I know, right?

Hey, I got a great idea. How about we ban rape and domestic violence instead of banning women's rights? Or does that make too much sense?

And they'll tell the government or a stranger that their husband is beating the crap out of them? Good luck.
So what you're saying is, you know that most women in Western countries who wear the burqa do so only under threat of violence. But, you can't provide any evidence for this. So, perhaps you're wrong?

Maybe Amish wives in America only wear ankle-length dresses for fear of being beaten by their Amish husbands. We can never know, of course, because if we ask them they will lie and say they wear their clothes voluntarily.

Alceste

Vagabond
So what you're saying is, you know that most women in Western countries who wear the burqa do so only under threat of violence. But, you can't provide any evidence for this. So, perhaps you're wrong?

Maybe Amish wives in America only wear ankle-length dresses for fear of being beaten by their Amish husbands. We can never know, of course, because if we ask them they will lie and say they wear their clothes voluntarily.

Heh - reminds me of our own Stockwell Day, who recently waxed hysterical in a press conference about the "alarming rise in unreported crime" to justify building new prisons despite crime rates falling steadily for two decades.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

No what i'm saying is, even if there was violence, there's no way to tell if the wife keeps silent.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No what i'm saying is, even if there was violence, there's no way to tell if the wife keeps silent.

but this would apply to domestic violence all over; banning the burqa clearly won't stop domestic violence...surely you are not suggesting it would.

some men beat their wives because they don't cook dinner right; let's ban cooking! (not a bad idea, actually). i kid, i kid.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Telling people what they can and can't wear...seems kind of stupid to me. Hell, I'd walk around naked in hot weather if it weren't for all the primative primates imposing their pathetic imperatives on me.