• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now Belgium bans burqa in public places

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ooh, I've got a little whip myself.

I had a feeling you do. :highfive:

I've also got a french maid outfit around here somewhere...and a pirate wench outfit as well...decisions, decisions...

Pirate outfit? Meh....I'd burn it :D. But the French Maid is a good one. :yes:

I also have the Cheerleader, the School Girl, and the Nurse outfits.

I just thought of a powerful statement to the world, the woman in a burqa and the woman in a string bikini together holding a sign saying "FREEDOM!"

A girl can dream, but it is heartening to see the women here across cultures pretty much saying the same thing.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh, no, I can't burn the pirate wench outfit - my ancestor sailed with Captain Cooke on the Endeavor - and I have a necklace with a "piece of eight" from 1788 as a pendant! I am sorry, but I am waaaaayyyyyy too much wench to forget my high seas roots!

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
this argument is going in circles.

why does the public get to decide what is acceptable for a woman to wear? isn't that just as oppressive as forcing a woman to wear a burqa? please explain why any society (secular or Islamic) gets to decide what a woman wears rather than the WOMAN deciding what she'll wear.

So a women could be decent the other way and no one can say a thing? What if she wants to wear hardly anything at all?

Same issue, different side, round in circles we go.

My one key point is we should not make allowances in the way we live and feel for religion. Its up to religion to fit into society and not the other way round.

Alceste

Vagabond
So a women could be decent the other way and no one can say a thing? What if she wants to wear hardly anything at all?

Same issue, different side, round in circles we go.

My one key point is we should not make allowances in the way we live and feel for religion. Its up to religion to fit into society and not the other way round.

Nobody's asking YOU to wear a burka, darkendless. What do you need to change in order to allow women to dress however modestly they choose?

nameless

The Creator
Let me say it again. And this is the last time i'm going to say it.
so badran, im goint to put an extra effort to understand you this time.

To be honest, i already knew what you have been continously stating here, but you are going on missing (intentionally or unintentional) the point, that when burqa is practiced it brings oppression(directly or indirectly) for a few, while it is a practice which is based on misunderstanding.

This is how they preserve their religion, just because i don't agree doesn't mean i have a right to decide that their view is a misunderstanding and treat them based on that. I think they are wrong, but i have no right or authority to treat them as if their understanding of their religion doesn't count just because i don't agree with it. Can you understand this simple idea? This is their view of Islam.

spot on badran, You are in favor of anything in the name of faith, be it be dowry, burqa, terrorism, conquest etc, and argues they have right to preserve their religion based on their understanding(wrong understanding) of religion without concerning its effects on other innocent people. Let the lifeless religion live long, and life of people suffer. The religion is for the wellness of people, allowing people to suffer to practice religion in wrong manner is against the objective of religion.

Like i said it is a necessity for some, and those who don't view it as a necessity, but as an extra effort, still have their right preserved to practice that part of their religion.
again you got it wrong, badran. First of all, burqa is not of religious teachings, but it is cultural. Innocent people are suffered due to this misunderstanding, banning burqa to save women has nothing to do with a religion.

The burqa is not Islamic by Samir Khalil Samir

From the start, it needs to be said that there is not the slightest reference in the Koran or Islamic tradition (Sunnah) regarding this issue. Therefore it is not an Islamic norm. None of the Koranic scholars dare say so, but there are many who claim that it is a religious norm

If it wasn't related to religion at all it would still be their choice to wear what they want. Are you capable of understanding this simple concept? Or is it beyond your ability to comprehend? The simple and basic idea of a woman deciding what to wear, wether it is for a religious necessity, a religious "non-necessity", or a reason not related to religion at all, she should still be able to wear it.

already explained burqa is not of islamic teaching but it is cultural. And women wear burqa for non-religious reasons, this is impossible, women wear burqa for their religion, why non-muslims dont wear burqa?
quoting here your own statement
Face covering in general, i'm not talking about burqa in particular, face covering are worn for religious reasons.
badran, for the well sake of the oppressed, you people have to awake from this simple concept, go bit more deep.

And? How can i help you? A woman asking her mother some stuff, what should that tell me? I already know women who wear it, there is some trouble in wearing it. But there are no "basic life necessities" that they can't do.

That just means there are women who cant tolerate burka, still they are forced to wear it under oppression, because some others are misunderstanding it as religious practice.

let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen

My mother used purdah. She wore a burqa with a net cover in front of the face. It reminded me of the meatsafes in my grandmother's house. One had a net door made of cloth, the other of metal. But the objective was the same: keeping the meat safe. My mother was put under a burqa by her conservative family. They told her that wearing a burqa would mean obeying Allah. And if you obey Allah, He would be happy with you and not let you burn in hellfire. My mother was afraid of Allah and also of her own father. He would threaten her with grave consequences if she didn't wear the burqa. She was also afraid of the men in the neighbourhood, who could have shamed her. Even her husband was a source of fear, for he could do anything to her if she disobeyed him.

As a young girl, I used to nag her: Ma, don't you suffocate in this veil? Don't you feel all dark inside? Don't you feel breathless? Don't you feel angry? Don't you ever feel like throwing it off? My mother kept mum. She couldn't do anything about it. But I did. When I was sixteen, I was presented a burqa by one of my relatives. I threw it away.

No i shouldn't, i'm doing you a favor by repeating myself. When i should simply be telling you to go back and read my posts more carefully.

i asked so because there is contradicting posts from you, so asked for confirmation.

Yes wearing whatever by force does indeed involve oppression.
hence burqa is oppression, since they believe islam insists wearing burka is necessary, or would be taken to hell fire, so they are forced to wear. While all these believes are just baseless, thats why we see only muslims wear burqa.

When you force the ones who willingly wear it, to take it of, that too is oppression.

Have you grasped it yet? Lifting oppression from some by oppressing others is not a solution.
actually they are helped from self-oppression based on misunderstanding of faith. If you still call that is an oppression, you should also call ban on sati by indian government is an oppression, still in some places, there are women who are willing to practice sati. Sati is a practice evolved out of misunderstanding.

None of them, you should explain it how.....

Latest victim of Burkha - Forced to wear burqa, teacher quits

badran, simply adding a question more, what is your stance in banning dowry system if it is practically possible?

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
That's it, I'll wear a sheer see-thru burqa with a thong and pasties underneath. I'm wearing my Fendi "Sex and the City" heels and carrying my whip.

:D

That actually would be interesting.

Kind of the "anti-burqa".

A sheer see-thru version
speaks of transparancy.
'almost' nakedness
instead of 'almost' coveredness...
invisible covering
instead of unvisible covered.

They could be very beautiful
and very alluring,
yet still wearable
with JUST enough covering.
(as there is JUST enough openness
in a burqa, to see through)

"See Through"
from the opposite side.
:D

It would make for a very interesting fashion statement.

"Western Freedom" is disgusting hypocrisy.......
I agree with you that it is hypocritical. I don't agree with the burqa ban. Where I live, people are free to dress however they choose. I probably see someone wearing a full Muslim garment with only the face or eyes visible every week at the grocery store.

But I'm curious: are you upset because this law in Belgium isn't true to the ideals of Freedom, or are you upset because they banned the burqa and you are Muslim? In other words, would you vote to ban forms of dress in Belgium which are currently legal, but which you consider to be un-Islamic? If you would do that, then how can you get upset at Secular people for banning clothing that isn't Secular?

I can be legitimately upset by the Belgian law, because I believe everyone should be free to dress how they want, including Muslims, even though I myself am Secular. See what I mean? Does that sort of make sense?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so badran, im goint to put an extra effort to understand you this time.

Thanks, i know i'm not addressing you in the best possible attitude, but i can't help it.

To be honest, i already knew what you have been continously stating here, but you are going on missing (intentionally or unintentional) the point

Actually that is exactly what you are doing.

that when burqa is practiced it brings oppression(directly or indirectly) for a few, while it is a practice which is based on misunderstanding.

Go back to previous posts and read more carefully.

spot on badran, You are in favor of anything in the name of faith, be it be dowry, burqa, terrorism, conquest etc, and argues they have right to preserve their religion based on their understanding(wrong understanding) of religion without concerning its effects on other innocent people. Let the lifeless religion live long, and life of people suffer. The religion is for the wellness of people, allowing people to suffer to practice religion in wrong manner is against the objective of religion.

Interesting "take" on what i said. Its funny that someone would take it as a positive sign of broadness of mind while you take it as a sign of me in favor of terrorism and oppression. Don't be surprised that i don't feel the need to respond to your "take" on what i said.

First of all, burqa is not of religious teachings, but it is cultural. Innocent people are suffered due to this misunderstanding, banning burqa to save women has nothing to do with a religion.

Go back and read more carefully.

already explained burqa is not of islamic teaching but it is cultural. And women wear burqa for non-religious reasons, this is impossible, women wear burqa for their religion, why non-muslims dont wear burqa?

I'm afraid i have to tell you once again to go back and read my previous posts.

badran, for the well sake of the oppressed, you people have to awake from this simple concept, go bit more deep.

Lets just get through the easy stuff first, i wouldn't consider "deeper" stuff right now.

hence burqa is oppression, since they believe islam insists wearing burka is necessary, or would be taken to hell fire, so they are forced to wear. While all these believes are just baseless, thats why we see only muslims wear burqa.

Nice try. I believe praying is a requirement in Islam, but i've not always prayed, because in the end it is my choice. Some people do not even pray at all. And prayer is one of the most important things in Islam.

actually they are helped from self-oppression based on misunderstanding of faith.

Yeah, just make their decision for them since YOU think they misunderstand or whatever.

If you still call that is an oppression, you should also call ban on sati by indian government is an oppression, still in some places, there are women who are willing to practice sati. Sati is a practice evolved out of misunderstanding.

Good comparison you got their, women choosing their clothes, and women burning themselves alive.

None of them, you should explain it how.....

Already did, too many times.

badran, simply adding a question more, what is your stance in banning dowry system if it is practically possible?

Forgive me but i would stick to what we got her before we get other things involved. It doesn't seem you're gonna get this idea any time soon. So lets just stick to the topic.

Last edited:

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can be legitimately upset by the Belgian law, because I believe everyone should be free to dress how they want, including Muslims, even though I myself am Secular. See what I mean? Does that sort of make sense?

This is how i would look at it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh, no, I can't burn the pirate wench outfit - my ancestor sailed with Captain Cooke on the Endeavor - and I have a necklace with a "piece of eight" from 1788 as a pendant! I am sorry, but I am waaaaayyyyyy too much wench to forget my high seas roots!

Oh well, to each their own. Too bad we're enemies in the Great Battle. I be ninja. :ninja:

;)

nameless

The Creator
Go back to previous posts and read more carefully.
Go back and read more carefully.
I'm afraid i have to tell you once again to go back and read my previous posts.
Already did, too many times.
i wish if you would read your posts again, so that to realize the contradictory posts you made to defend your stance each time.

Interesting "take" on what i said. Its funny that someone would take it as a positive sign of broadness of mind while you take it as a sign of me in favor of terrorism and oppression. Don't be surprised that i don't feel the need to respond to your "take" on what i said.

what the difference? you have no problem in people misunderstanding the faith to cause oppression to other people, do you?

Nice try. I believe praying is a requirement in Islam, but i've not always prayed, because in the end it is my choice. Some people do not even pray at all. And prayer is one of the most important things in Islam.
ideal muslim, expect the same from other muslims too.....

Yeah, just make their decision for them since YOU think they misunderstand or whatever.
prove it is not misunderstanding.

Good comparison you got their, women choosing their clothes, and women burning themselves alive.
at least, you accepted this time that both falls under same category, thanks badran.

Forgive me but i would stick to what we got her before we get other things involved. It doesn't seem you're gonna get this idea any time soon. So lets just stick to the topic.
as expected, for the reason burqa ban is no different from dowry ban.

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i wish if you would read your posts again, so that to realize the contradictory posts you made to defend your stance each time.

I wish you could read the countless posts made by me and others stating a very simple idea again, so that there might be hope you'll grasp it at some point.

what the difference? you have no problem in people misunderstanding the faith to cause oppression to other people, dont you?

So your blaming the women who supposedly misunderstand and think they should wear it, or want to wear it (do remember that some women know that its not a necessity but still wear it) for the men who oppress other women and force them to wear it, thats great.

ideal muslim, expect the same from other muslims too.....

Really? Is it so much to know the fact that in the end it is up to them to decide? Even if they're afraid of hell, they can still choose to wear it or not. And if their fear of hell makes them choose to wear it, that is quite simply non of your business. That is their belief, and they should choose to act upon it like anybody else. I'll remind you once again though that not all those women who wear it think its a necessity or that if they didn't wear it they'll go to hell.

Once you're able to think of those women in the same terms you think of other people, and that is in the terms of them making their own decisions based on whatever beliefs they have, you might have a chance in understanding the simple idea that have been stated here more times than i could count.

prove it is not misunderstanding.

You really don't even try to read my posts, do you?

at least, you accepted this time that both falls under same category, thanks badran.

I Merely commented on your ridiculous comparison.

as expected, for the reason burqa ban is no different from dowry ban.

Not really. The reason is because i don't fancy wasting my effort when i already know you'll never be able to understand what i'm saying, so there is no point in adding more points to this meaningless "discussion".

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Nobody's asking YOU to wear a burka, darkendless. What do you need to change in order to allow women to dress however modestly they choose?

I need to change how i view multiculturalism which isn't going to happen unless things change around here (meaning where i live). Personally i believe it has horribly failed, until proven otherwise my view will hold.

I don't think that the burqa is compatible with a "secular" country. A hijab, most definately, but a full head to toe religious symbol does not.

I don't think allowances should be made simply because its a religious symbol. If we were truelly secular religion would not be publicly obvious.

Alceste

Vagabond
I need to change how i view multiculturalism which isn't going to happen unless things change around here (meaning where i live). Personally i believe it has horribly failed, until proven otherwise my view will hold.

I don't think that the burqa is compatible with a "secular" country. A hijab, most definately, but a full head to toe religious symbol does not.

I don't think allowances should be made simply because its a religious symbol. If we were truelly secular religion would not be publicly obvious.

I don't make any exceptions for religion. It is only the principle that a woman must have the right to decide for herself what to wear, or not wear. In the case of the burqa, I oppose a ban because any "freedom" imposed by the state by force is not a freedom at all. I support women casting it aside voluntarily because I despise the violence and misogyny of Islamic extremism as much as anyone. I simply accept that it is not for me to dictate how somebody else behaves, unless their behavior harms others significantly and intervention is necessary. So, in my view we should ban adorning yourself or your loved ones with bombs and leave the burqa be.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't make any exceptions for religion. It is only the principle that a woman must have the right to decide for herself what to wear, or not wear. In the case of the burqa, I oppose a ban because any "freedom" imposed by the state by force is not a freedom at all. I support women casting it aside voluntarily because I despise the violence and misogyny of Islamic extremism as much as anyone. I simply accept that it is not for me to dictate how somebody else behaves, unless their behavior harms others significantly and intervention is necessary. So, in my view we should ban adorning yourself or your loved ones with bombs and leave the burqa be.

could not have been stated better. :)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

But the thing is how many women are afraid to stop wearing it? How would we know? We can't stop women being forced to wear it unless we stop it being worn completely. Its a lose-lose situation.

I'm against religion being a public thing so naturally the Burqa is one of the most obvious, especially here.

Alceste

Vagabond
But the thing is how many women are afraid to stop wearing it? How would we know? We can't stop women being forced to wear it unless we stop it being worn completely. Its a lose-lose situation.

I'm against religion being a public thing so naturally the Burqa is one of the most obvious, especially here.

We could ask them.

Alceste

Vagabond
And they'll tell the government or a stranger that their husband is beating the crap out of them? Good luck.

I don't know why you would assume this is the case. How would you know if ANY woman's husband is abusive if she isn't inclined to tell you? Domestic violence is everywhere. If you want to know if ANY woman's OK, you pretty much have to ask. I don't see how you stepping in to dictate what she can and can't wear is supposed to keep her husband from being abusive

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Oh good lord, making women stop wearing burqas isn't going to stop domestic violence.

That's treating the symptom rather than the disease.