• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lorgar-Aurelian

For those of you who haven't heard of Nova Roma it is an organization dedicated to reviving various parts of classical Rome including roman religion and culture.
NovaRoma
It is worth looking into if you ask me. Then again I am well known among some of my friends for being a fanboy of Roman, Persian, and various other ancient civilizations.
So what do you think of this?

outlawState

Deism is dead
Silly.

Most Roman gods were imported from elsewhere, and they carried on being imported. Eventually they imported Christianity, and now, perhaps the Pope is importing Islam?

Nothing special about roman gods at all. That's why Rome collapsed under the weight of its own venal corruption. Might as well become a nazi as a latter day Roman.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Silly.

Most Roman gods were imported from elsewhere, and they carried on being imported. Eventually they imported Christianity, and now, perhaps the Pope is importing Islam?

Nothing special about roman gods at all. That's why Rome collapsed under the weight of its own venal corruption. Might as well become a nazi as a latter day Roman.
So couple things.
Why would it be an issue if most of Rome's gods were imported? The romans believed the gods could and would appear to numerous people in different cultures so what they usually did was say gods that were very similar to their own were just their gods in a different form and would adopt the others. If you think Rome collapsed from corruption / not having a special religion I would argue that is ridiculous to the extreme.

Roman religion was unique In many aspects. They had their own rituals their own practices their own concept of honor ect. Also why is being a Nazi and being a roman the same thing?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
For those of you who haven't heard of Nova Roma it is an organization dedicated to reviving various parts of classical Rome including roman religion and culture.
NovaRoma
It is worth looking into if you ask me. Then again I am well known among some of my friends for being a fanboy of Roman, Persian, and various other ancient civilizations.

So is it more of a nostalgia thing, similar to renaissance fairs? Living re-enactments of history are fine, but do they actually literally believe in the Roman religion, or is it just an embracing of the culture?

outlawState

Deism is dead
So couple things.
Why would it be an issue if most of Rome's gods were imported? The romans believed the gods could and would appear to numerous people in different cultures so what they usually did was say gods that were very similar to their own were just their gods in a different form and would adopt the others.
The issue is that the Roman gods are not unique to Rome, and as with any pagan system, constantly mutated. Anyone with an understanding of classical paganism will know that even if each nation had its own gods, and particular variants of gods, they were always based on earlier sources / civilizations. It's an evolutionary thing. One must suppose that the earliest Roman gods came from Greece or wherever, and there is a pretty good correlation between Greek gods and Roman gods. Greek gods came from the east. Many gods started out in
Sumeria / Bablylon /Eqypt and migrated across to Rome.

So why invoke Roman gods at all? Anyway they are pure paganism.

If you think Rome collapsed from corruption / not having a special religion I would argue that is ridiculous to the extreme.
If you are arguing that Rome did not become ever more corrupt as time went on, that is ridiculous to the extreme. Moreover the gods being imported from the east, such as Cybele etc. became ever more corrupt.

"It is scarcely possible that the eyes of contemporaries should discover in the public felicity the latent causes of decay and corruption. This long peace, and the uniform government of the Romans, introduced a slow and secret poison into the vitals of the empire. The minds of men were gradually reduced to the same level, the fire of genius was extinguished, and even the military spirit evaporated." Decline and Fall, Gibbon, Chapter 2

Roman religion was unique In many aspects. They had their own rituals their own practices their own concept of honor ect. Also why is being a Nazi and being a roman the same thing?
Rome believed in conquering the world and in enslavement of the conquered. So did Hitler, not identically but similarly.

Lorgar-Aurelian

So is it more of a nostalgia thing, similar to renaissance fairs? Living re-enactments of history are fine, but do they actually literally believe in the Roman religion, or is it just an embracing of the culture?
They actually treat it as a state. The Roman brand polytheism is something they actually embrace. It's the "state religion."

Lorgar-Aurelian

The issue is that the Roman gods are not unique to Rome, and as with any pagan system, constantly mutated. Anyone with an understanding of classical paganism will know that even if each nation had its own gods, and particular variants of gods, they were always based on earlier sources / civilizations. It's an evolutionary thing. One must suppose that the earliest Roman gods came from Greece or wherever, and there is a pretty good correlation between Greek gods and Roman gods. Greek gods came from the east. Many gods started out in
Sumeria / Bablylon /Eqypt and migrated across to Rome.

So why invoke Roman gods at all? Anyway they are pure paganism.

If you are arguing that Rome did not become ever more corrupt as time went on, that is ridiculous to the extreme. Moreover the gods being imported from the east, such as Cybele etc. became ever more corrupt.

"It is scarcely possible that the eyes of contemporaries should discover in the public felicity the latent causes of decay and corruption. This long peace, and the uniform government of the Romans, introduced a slow and secret poison into the vitals of the empire. The minds of men were gradually reduced to the same level, the fire of genius was extinguished, and even the military spirit evaporated." Decline and Fall, Gibbon, Chapter 2

Rome believed in conquering the world and in enslavement of the conquered. So did Hitler, not identically but similarly.
I'd ask why invoke god or gods period but eh. I didn't say it wasn't corrupt but the idea that this was the sole reason behind their fall is silly.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with the organization beyond knowing they've been around for a fair amount of time; I don't keep tabs on the various reconstructionist movements all that much. On the whole, I'm all for following the tales that inspire and bring meaning to one's life and seeing where it takes you. Whether that inspiration fosters a hobby, academic interest, or way of life (aka, religion) is for time to tell. Never hurts to get more information and investigate.