• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Notre-Dame Cathedral is on fire!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was there in the Spring of 1972, and I wonder where were any fire extinguishers around ?
One reporter said he was there at the start of the fire, but No mention of anyone having or using an extinguisher.
This is what's burning -- Way beyond what any extinguisher could stop. (scroll to bottom image):
En direct : Notre-Dame-de-Paris en flammes
Par AFP
15 avril 2019 à 20:32
Le feu progresse rapidement à Notre-Dame, où un incendie s'est déclaré vers 18h50. La charpente de la cathédrale est en train de partir en fumée. La flèche s'est effondrée.

1211723-afp_1fo36l.jpg

Les pompiers luttent ardemment.

AFP
1211719-afp_1fo361.jpg

Emmanuel Macron : "Notre-Dame de Paris en proie aux flammes. Émotion de toute une nation. Pensée pour tous les catholiques et pour tous les Français. Comme tous nos compatriotes, je suis triste ce soir de voir brûler cette part de nous." Le président s'est rendu sur place avec Edouard Philippe.

Photo AFP
1211707-afp_1fo34h.jpg

Les pompiers poursuivent leur combat.

Photo AFP
1211702-afp_1fo2xi.jpg

La nuit tombe sur la cathédrale toujours en flamme.

Photo AFP
1211692-afp_1fo2ug.jpg

Vue depuis la Tour Montparnasse des flammes déclinantes.

Photo AFP
1211704-afp_1fo2j3.jpg

La tristesse des parisiens.

Photo AFP
1211701-afp_1fo2un.jpg

People look a fire at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris from the banks of the Seine river on April 15, 2019. - A fire broke out at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris, potentially involving renovation works being carried out at the site, the fire service said. (Photo by Thomas SAMSON / AFP)

Photo AFP
1211690-afp_1fo2jv.jpg

Grâce à l'action des pompiers, l'incendie se calme.

Photo AFP
1211724-afp_1fo3ei.jpg

Parc de Belleville, les gens se regroupent.

AFP
1211689-afp_1fo2ht.jpg

Réaction des passants.

Photo AFP
1211688-afp_1fo2id.jpg

Réaction des passants.

Photo AFP
1211665-afp_1fo25bjpg.jpg

Un homme observe désespérément les flammes progresser sur la cathédrale.

Photo GEOFFROY VAN DER HASSELT. AFP
1211656-afp_1fo1ws.jpg

La flèche s'est effondrée.

Photo AFP
1211657-afp_1fo24v.jpg

Des badauds observent l'incendie.

Photo AFP
1211654-afp_1fo1vi.jpg

Le feu sur la toiture s'étend.

Photo AFP
1211653-afp_1fo1un.jpg

La toiture est en feu.

Photo AFP
1211645-afp_1fo1m1.jpg

Situation autour de 19h.

Photo AFP
1211659-afp_1f47ka.jpg

La statue de l’apôtre Saint-André est retirée du dôme pour des travaux de restauration, le 27 mars 2019.

Photo AFP
1211651-afp_1fo1u2.jpg

Live video:http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/incendie-a-notre-dame-de-paris-comment-les-pompiers-interviennent-20190415

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This is what's burning -- Way beyond what any extinguisher could stop. (scroll to bottom image):
En direct : Notre-Dame-de-Paris en flammes
Par AFP
15 avril 2019 à 20:32
Le feu progresse rapidement à Notre-Dame, où un incendie s'est déclaré vers 18h50. La charpente de la cathédrale est en train de partir en fumée. La flèche s'est effondrée.

1211723-afp_1fo36l.jpg

Les pompiers luttent ardemment.

AFP
1211719-afp_1fo361.jpg

Emmanuel Macron : "Notre-Dame de Paris en proie aux flammes. Émotion de toute une nation. Pensée pour tous les catholiques et pour tous les Français. Comme tous nos compatriotes, je suis triste ce soir de voir brûler cette part de nous." Le président s'est rendu sur place avec Edouard Philippe.

Photo AFP
1211707-afp_1fo34h.jpg

Les pompiers poursuivent leur combat.

Photo AFP
1211702-afp_1fo2xi.jpg

La nuit tombe sur la cathédrale toujours en flamme.

Photo AFP
1211692-afp_1fo2ug.jpg

Vue depuis la Tour Montparnasse des flammes déclinantes.

Photo AFP
1211704-afp_1fo2j3.jpg

La tristesse des parisiens.

Photo AFP
1211701-afp_1fo2un.jpg

People look a fire at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris from the banks of the Seine river on April 15, 2019. - A fire broke out at the landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris, potentially involving renovation works being carried out at the site, the fire service said. (Photo by Thomas SAMSON / AFP)

Photo AFP
1211690-afp_1fo2jv.jpg

Grâce à l'action des pompiers, l'incendie se calme.

Photo AFP
1211724-afp_1fo3ei.jpg

Parc de Belleville, les gens se regroupent.

AFP
1211689-afp_1fo2ht.jpg

Réaction des passants.

Photo AFP
1211688-afp_1fo2id.jpg

Réaction des passants.

Photo AFP
1211665-afp_1fo25bjpg.jpg

Un homme observe désespérément les flammes progresser sur la cathédrale.

Photo GEOFFROY VAN DER HASSELT. AFP
1211656-afp_1fo1ws.jpg

La flèche s'est effondrée.

Photo AFP
1211657-afp_1fo24v.jpg

Des badauds observent l'incendie.

Photo AFP
1211654-afp_1fo1vi.jpg

Le feu sur la toiture s'étend.

Photo AFP
1211653-afp_1fo1un.jpg

La toiture est en feu.

Photo AFP
1211645-afp_1fo1m1.jpg

Situation autour de 19h.

Photo AFP
1211659-afp_1f47ka.jpg

La statue de l’apôtre Saint-André est retirée du dôme pour des travaux de restauration, le 27 mars 2019.

Photo AFP
1211651-afp_1fo1u2.jpg

Live video:http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/incendie-a-notre-dame-de-paris-comment-les-pompiers-interviennent-20190415
Thanks so much for those pictures even though they bring tears to my eyes. I just hope and pray no one gets hurt or killed.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I was there in the Spring of 1972, and I wonder where were any fire extinguishers around ?
One reporter said he was there at the start of the fire, but No mention of anyone having or using an extinguisher.
A fire extinguisher near the floor which reaches 6 feet isn't going to be reaching a rooftop or putting out an inferno. Even then, many fire extinguishers aren't configured to handle electrical fires like what was apparently the case here.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see a flood of donations from all over the world to repair and rebuild this cathedral. It's been the object of endless study and research. I'm quite certain every statue, every arch, every buttress, every pillar, every glass window and every carving has been documented in meticulous detail. We have millions of photographs of it which we can use to rebuild the cathedral exactly as it was. This isn't the end for Notre Dame.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trump suggested tanker planes, but the idea was shot down by French authorities.

dianaiad

This breaks my heart. This building is important for so many reasons; a religious symbol, a historic monument, something to be treasured. I hope that they can save enough of it to be a good basis for rebuilding. I understand that they MIGHT even have access to the original plans/drawings. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

And I imagine that people all over the world will contribute to that rebuilding. When it is rebuilt, it will be, again, a religious symbol of hope, and a monument to both history and human accomplishment. Perhaps even more than it was yesterday.

....and I truly hope that when it comes time to plan that rebuilding, politics doesn't interfere with it. Neither politics, nor religious objections, nor anything else; let's just rebuild Notre Dame. Not for France, or for Catholicism, but for all of us. I don't have much, but I'd send my little bit.

Wandering Monk

This story just breaks my heart. Forty of fifty generations of Parisians shared this place. Can you imagine sitting in the same pew an ancestor from the 12th century sat in?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Trump suggested tanker planes, but the idea was shot down by French authorities.
I suspect the impact of the water would cause further structural collapse. I think the fire might end up doing that on its own regardless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a flood of donations from all over the world to repair and rebuild this cathedral. It's been the object of endless study and research. I'm quite certain every statue, every arch, every buttress, every pillar, every glass window and every carving has been documented in meticulous detail. We have millions of photographs of it which we can use to rebuild the cathedral exactly as it was. This isn't the end for Notre Dame.

Much as I hope otherwise, there is a good chance there will be major structural collapses.

A modern replica would be just that. Could build a replica in Las Vegas.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Much as I hope otherwise, there is a good chance there will be major structural collapses.

I think it might all but burn to the ground, myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with building a replica if it's the same as it was.

dianaiad

yeah. It would have taken down the fire...but the building would have gone with it. Have you ever seen the sort of 'water drop' that comes from those planes? I have...California dweller, here. You do not want to be under one of those things when they let go. You do NOT want one of 'em to drop their load on your house, unless it is fully involved and 'they' are attempting to save other houses. Once one of those drops hits your house? It's gone.

Imagine the force of Niagara hitting your roof.

Trump should stick to politics and leave fire fighting to the fire fighters.

Y'know, I mostly prefer Trump over his opposition, but sometimes.....SHEESH.

dianaiad

Build it in Las Vegas, it would be a replica. REbuild it where it is? That's not a 'replica.' That's the real thing, and it's not the first time people have had to do that. It's part of history, part of who we are. We build and rebuild.

We have pictures of the cathedral as it was. We have records. Now, if everybody can get their acts together, we will have Notre Dame Cathedral built in a way that will last even longer than this one did.

...and, hopefully, THIS one won't take 200 years to build.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
yeah. It would have taken down the fire...but the building would have gone with it. Have you ever seen the sort of 'water drop' that comes from those planes? I have...California dweller, here. You do not want to be under one of those things when they let go. You do NOT want one of 'em to drop their load on your house, unless it is fully involved and 'they' are attempting to save other houses. Once one of those drops hits your house? It's gone.

Imagine the force of Niagara hitting your roof.

Trump should stick to politics and leave fire fighting to the fire fighters.

Y'know, I mostly prefer Trump over his opposition, but sometimes.....SHEESH.
Trump's heart is in the right place, and I'm sure he's just thinking how a lot of other people do who don't know a whole lot about firefighting. But yeah, this isn't his wheelhouse.

We have pictures of the cathedral as it was. We have records. Now, if everybody can get their acts together, we will have Notre Dame Cathedral built in a way that will last even longer than this one did.

Pictures are one thing, but I'm not sure we have enough skilled craftspeople to actually replace many of the original features to the same standard.

I have no idea, but it's certainly not a given.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Pictures are one thing, but I'm not sure we have enough skilled craftspeople to actually replace many of the original features to the same standard.

I have no idea, but it's certainly not a given.
Timber framing & stone masonry are big things here.
I'm sure they can find qualified tradesmen.
The issue will likely be cost.

I wondered how long it would take this thread to become about Trump.
Regarding tankers....
A helicopter bucket system can deliver a controlled amount of water
by varying the capacity & height, which can expand dispersal. They
can also dump fire retardant foam.
But I doubt they'd have such things in Paris.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
They are announcing that both towers are safe and that the fire is cooling. They are still attempting to save works of art.