• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing to see here, America.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Apparently, Time thinks any effort to inform children, idiots, and Americans is misguided.

lunamoth

Will to love
What about the ones on October 3 and 24 that Gjallahorn posted?
They are going to put on the cover what it takes to sell the magazine, and I would bet they do their marketing research. It's not Time's fault that Americans will prefer to buy pap.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
There has been a hundred year long effort, beginning with Edward Bernays, to turn America from a nation of responsible citizens into a nation of mindless consumers. I think we're seeing the fruits of that effort.

Alceste

Vagabond
They are going to put on the cover what it takes to sell the magazine, and I would bet they do their marketing research. It's not Time's fault that Americans will prefer to buy pap.

Really? I don't know about that. Perhaps some appetites are better left unindulged. :)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
The discontinuation of the Canadian edition and the decline in sales had nothing to do with the issue raised by the OP, however. The issue here is why someone made an editorial decision to dumb down the cover for distribution in the US. It seems that the editors thought the international cover would not appeal to Americans as much as the personal interest story "Why Anxiety Is Good for You". Was it because the editions went to press at different times? Not likely, since one of the banners on the front page of the US edition was "EGYPT: REVOLUTION REIGNITED". I don't know why anyone would want to buy a news magazine that headlined a non-news fluff story over one of the most important news events of recent weeks. Are they trying to destroy their sales?
This is spot-on.

It seems Americans are stuck in this self-propagating downward spiral of ignorance.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I don't understand it. There are plenty of intelligent people in the USA. Why does it constantly seem like the media is treating them like they are something less?

There are book series that are released all over the world but in the USA the title or length (shorter books) and wordings are changed to appeal to Americans.

I don't understand it.

I don't think Americans are less intelligent than anyone else.

Shermana

Heretic
Time knows most of its American readership comprises of Liberals...so....perhaps this says something about how they perceive American Liberals?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't understand it. There are plenty of intelligent people in the USA. Why does it constantly seem like the media is treating them like they are something less?

There are book series that are released all over the world but in the USA the title or length (shorter books) and wordings are changed to appeal to Americans.

I don't understand it.

The problem is that American society (in general) have short attention spans and are woefully uninformed and apathetic, and are resistant to anything that might not mesh with their preconceived notions and simplistic, two-dimensional world view. They can't grasp something that can't be presented in black and white terms. Their interest and understanding of politics are limited to bumper sticker slogans. And the general public in the U.S. cares more about celebrity gossip, reality TV marriages and sports scores than they do about scientific discoveries and technological development. They've been groomed that way for decades, shaped into the ideal consumer and voter.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Time knows most of its American readership comprises of Liberals...so....perhaps this says something about how they perceive American Liberals?

Except most of the developed world is liberal, so why would they treat American liberals different? Oh, wait. I know, it's because America is actually more conservative than Time's reader based outside the U.S.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
There has been a hundred year long effort, beginning with Edward Bernays, to turn America from a nation of responsible citizens into a nation of mindless consumers. I think we're seeing the fruits of that effort.
I have a question though. how easy is it to turn responsible citizens to mindless consumers? would people who are what we may call responsible citizens be a human pool for such an experiment?

Alceste

Vagabond
I have a question though. how easy is it to turn responsible citizens to mindless consumers? would people who are what we may call responsible citizens be a human pool for such an experiment?

This is good watching and thoroughly answers your question:

:: Download Century of Self Episode 1: Happiness Machines for Free. Watch Century of Self Episode 1: Happiness Machines Online with Other Documentary Films and Free Movies. ::

There are 5 episodes. Good old BBC.