• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing says " I love you" like spending money on gifts, right?

Vee

Premium Member
Apparently today is Valentine's day, a.k.a, go buy your better half something, otherwise they might end up thinking you don't love them, because as we all know, nothing says "I love you" like spending money on gifts. #sarcasm

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Apparently today is Valentine's day, a.k.a, go buy your better half something, otherwise they might end up thinking you don't love them, because as we all know, nothing says "I love you" like spending money on gifts. #sarcasm

My wife and I bowed out of all of that decades ago. We don't purchase birthday, anniversary, Christmas, or Valentines Day gifts or cards for one another or for anybody else (we have no small children, nor any grandchildren at all). We don't want them ourselves, and neither of us likes going out looking for them. It's not about money. It's about making our own rules.

We do, however, wish one another a happy whatever, and buy one another gifts spontaneously independent of official observances.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

That has a clear evolutionary origin.

Spending resource for your half signals two things

1) you are a safe long term bet, if you are ready to waste money for me like that

2) you have enough of that resource and that might become handy when we will have a couple hungry little gene carriers around

Ciao

- viole

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Me and my girlfriend are going to spend tonight watching asian horror movies and eating sushi. She's also asked me pick up some sake, but I have no idea where I can get it...

Orbit

I'm a planet
We aren't doing anything special that I know of today, but my mom sent us some roses, which I thought was very sweet.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Me and my girlfriend are going to spend tonight watching asian horror movies and eating sushi. She's also asked me pick up some sake, but I have no idea where I can get it...
On the West Coast many liquor stores have sake. Sometimes it's in the wine section. Theres also a ton of Asian grocery chains here such as Uwajimaya which carry sake.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We do valentines day intermittantly depending on work situations. We don't buy each other things, though sometimes we make food for each other or go see a movie together. It's as good an excuse to have a day together as any.

Last year I made pepperoni pizza roses.
pizza-roses.jpg

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Wife's birthday and our anniversary are within the same week as Valentines, had a nice dinner out the other day. Tonight I'm grilling a couple of ribeyes, bacon wrapped sea scallops, and some asparagus.
Got the massage oil bottles ready in a bowl, just add a little hot water.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
At a minimal, a card is required. What I get for Valentine's day is an avoidance of a cold icy stare and curt angry responses to any inquiry. Unless of course I forget the obligatory Valentine's Day card.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd rather ignore the holiday.
But more compelling, I'd rather stay married.
So I buy flowers at the lumber yard (Menards).

Daemon Sophic

You forgot, didn’t you?

200.gif

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
We've not bought each other anything for a few years for no other reason than 'bof' (love that word). We always wish each other 'happy valentine's day... Again' when we wake up but thats usually about it.

This morning though was different. We usually do the big weekly shop on thursdays, a 50km drive to a supermarket. We always take time out for a breakfast treat at a very nice patisserie. Really good coffee and pastries to die for. As you would expect for today, theshop window displayed wonderful valentine's creations. As we were leaving hubby dashed back and bought me a giant heart shaped macaron, filled with whole strawberries and cream. It was almost too good to eat... almost.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I'm able to ignore the holiday, my wife is from Mainland China and thinks Valentines day is a silly waste of money...if I were to buy her something, and in the past I have....she gets rather angry and if I were to buy her a card...it will soon after end up in the trash...so...I get to ignore it

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Me and my girlfriend are going to spend tonight watching asian horror movies and eating sushi.

You reminded me of a joke I wrote a few years back in the hope that it would gain traction and be repeated enough that someday, it would be told to me by somebody who didn't know that I was its source, something that has still never happened. I would appreciate anybody repeating this joke:
  • My Asian girlfriend came over and made us Chinese food last night, followed by hours of passionate lovemaking until we collapsed in exhaustion and fell asleep. Nevertheless, I awakened only an hour later with a craving for more, unsure whether what I hungered for was more of the twice cooked pork or the twice porked cook.
She's also asked me pick up some sake, but I have no idea where I can get it...

Try FFS (the S stands for Sake).