• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing but an Ego Trip!

Jos

I know right, it's all disgusting IMO... knowing that some people wouldn't want to exist and that others would go to hell and stuff, why couldn't God just keep to Himself and leave humans alone? It would make me angry, if a God were to exist, I never asked to be here...

12jtartar

Premium Member
I was thinking about a pretty obvious question during recent arguments about creation and evolution, specifically: "Why?" Why would a deity need to create a universe in the first place?

So of course, I asked Google (about as omniscient a thing as I am aware of). And I came across this:

Why Did God Create the World?

It turns out the entirety of creation, everything, seems to be because God felt himself to be so incredibly wonderful that he "created the world for his glory!" Or in other words, "God created us to know him and love him and show him."

Is that all there is, we're here only because God's on an Ego Trip? Is that what religious thinkers believe?

Evangelicalhumanist,
It will be extremely difficult to prove anything to you, since you have such a bad idea of the character of the Almighty God.
I know you do not believe what the Bible says about God, for the Bible says that God is Love, Read 1John 4:8-20.
Since God is eternal, He needs nothing, He is completely self sufficient.
Because God knew that He could Create people and become a Father to them, He, above anyone else, could make His children happy, to be alive, and to give them interesting things to occupy their time. One thing God put within humans is the desire to search for their Creator, Christian Existentialism. If you think of the best Father that you could possibly have, he would, in no way equal the Almighty, OmniscientGod, who is our Father, in heaven.
Just like any loving father, God wants the very best for us, that is why He had the Bible written. God is not arbitrary, as some think!! He only makes rules to help His children to live and Long and happy life, Deuteronomy 10:13, Isaiah 48:17.
Even when His perfect children sinned against Him, He immediately thought of the way that all who loved Him, would be able to come to life again in a Paradise Earth, grow to perfection and receive all the Blessings that God wanted for His children.
It has been proven many times that parents will give their lives for their children. The Almighty, Eternal God cannot die, so He did the next best thing that could be done to show His love, He sent His Dearly Beloved Son to earth, to give his life, as a Ransom Sacrifice, 1Timothy 2:1-6, John 3:16, Matthew 20:28.
Another loving thing that God did, was to have His words recorded in a Book, The Bible, so that people who wanted to know their creator could learn about Him and His Purpose for the earth. At the end of this system of things, which is very close now, He will send His son back to earth to judge people, as to whether they deserve to live on in a Paradise earth, or go away to everlasting death, Acts 17:31, John 5:28,29, Revelation 20:11-15, 21:1-5.
There could be no better Father than the one we have, and there could be no better future than there is for those who love God and His dear Son, who want the very best for those who love them, and they have the power to bring about what they want for us!!!
Agape!!!

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was thinking about a pretty obvious question during recent arguments about creation and evolution, specifically: "Why?" Why would a deity need to create a universe in the first place?

So of course, I asked Google (about as omniscient a thing as I am aware of). And I came across this:

It turns out the entirety of creation, everything, seems to be because God felt himself to be so incredibly wonderful that he "created the world for his glory!" Or in other words, "God created us to know him and love him and show him."

Is that all there is, we're here only because God's on an Ego Trip? Is that what religious thinkers believe?

I believe creating may be part of His character. It is like a whitewashed wall ready to be painted. God has the intelligence and power to create so it almost screams for Him to do so.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The exact wording is.

Revelations 4:11

11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Created for his pleasure, not glory or ego or any of that nonsense. He created us to keep Him company in what was once a reality where God was alone, the only thing in existence. Which if you think about it make sense. It explains why we all have free will and different personalities/traits instead of just a humogenous blob of completely identical "yes" people.

I believe when I take a book out from the library it isn't to sit it on a shelf and look at it. I derive pleasure from reading it. However every good fiction book has a villain, right?

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Eastern conception is different. For example:

The first imagination in Vedanta is called the lahar [whim]; by the Sufis it is called guman [fancy]. This first imagination was the first urge in the beginningless beginning to know Itself. As soon as this urge appeared, the beginning of the beginning started — not of God, but of the whim which created this Nothing which was latent in God. It was the whim: “Who Am I?” That very moment, with the beginning of the whim, Nothing was produced, and instead of knowing Himself, God began knowing this Nothing...

I believe that makes no sense at at all. I would love to have you try to explain it.

atanu

Premium Member

Is it not curious that we enquire about reason for God’s creation but do not know about our own creations in dream? Is it also not curious that we see ego in God but not in ourselves?

Now I hope you can see the problem with that, which is simply that before those scriptures existed, those who wrote them had nothing whatever to rely on with the exception of the content of their own imaginations.

Are you sure that you know all methods of knowledge?

Have you ever tried to follow up on teachings of any one scripture and experienced for yourself the imagination? Suppose you followed up on Patanjali Yoga Sutra and found out yourself whether what Patanjali records is imagination or is it empirically testable by oneself.

BTW. Rig Veda says the following about this wondrous multiform manifestation of the homogeneous consciousness (named here as Rudra— the sound-maker within every being. And the Maruts are the senses).

Rig Veda
The Maruts deck their beauty for thy glory, yea, Rudra! for thy birth fair, brightly-coloured.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I believe that makes no sense at at all. I would love to have you try to explain it.
... Or in other words, "God created us to know him and love him and show him."

The Eastern conception is different. For example:

The first imagination in Vedanta is called the lahar [whim]; ... This first imagination was the first urge in the beginningless beginning to know Itself...

I don't know that I can explain it entirely but here are few thoughts.

People have different meanings in mind when they use the word "God". One view, in the West, is that God is separate from creation. This is clearly depicted on the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel.

Why does Hinduism have so many gods? is to me a good intro to the Hindu conception. One point made on that web page is that "God can be experienced, and, in fact, that is the ultimate goal of one’s soul." Here God is not eternally separate but we can realize that we are the Divine.

So when someone uses the word, "God", I ask myself what their conception is. Are they thinking of a paternalistic super father figure judging one's actions and demanding obedience? Are they considering God to be something not separate from who we really are (God as in the world and deep inside us as well as being beyond the world)? Or perhaps something else.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Not quite. The beatific vision God intends for us is nothing less than the embrace of never ending ecstatic love. God is love and to share that love He saw fit to create creatures capable of experiencing and (in their limited ways) reciprocating that love. God as the ultimate reality is joy and eternal love and thus it was right and fitting for Him to ordain the existence of other beings to share in His love and joy. It was an act of selfless generosity.

We worship God in this life and eternally in the next because He is worthy of it. He is infinite goodness; a perfect incomprehensible reality that pervades all things. It will be by the worship of God in direct eternal vision of Him that will make us content forever. God created us and demands worship for our happiness, not for His as God can never be in lack of anything.

By extension, the real punishment of hell is the knowledge that you've forever lost all hope of gaining the vision of that ultimate all pervading love.

Last edited:

Riju

Rijju

In my understanding, from the perspective of eastern religions, creation proceeds from God who does not create but. In sun's presence everything happens in our part of the world, but sun does not will anything. If God was the wilful creator, then it would be trapped in the net of cause-effect.

On the matter of ego, you may be partially correct. God's nature is cosmic mind, which comprises three kinds of qualities, aligned to 1. Truth, 2. Ego, and 3. Sloth. So, when the nature appears to diversify as the universe, on account of action of Word, we see combination of these three qualities in beings.