• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nothing beats Mum’s cooking

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So despite my unhealthy reliance on fast food, I can’t deny that a home cooked meal is preferable
And I’m sure no matter how old we may get, nothing will ever come close to our Mother’s cooking (or perhaps our friends mother’s cooking lol.)
So what are some of your favourite home cooked meals?
Your favourite secret recipes?
Your own failures to replicate your family’s special meals? Lol

Mine are mostly curry based, big shock lol.
But as a kid mum would sometimes, for a treat, make me what’s called Puri.
Which are essentially deep fried pancakes. And yes it’s as decadent as it sounds. It’s also really easy to make. Some wheat flour, salt and water, depending on the recipe. That’s it really.
It has many variants you can try.
Would often eat them hot and fresh with syrup or honey. And the leftovers can be eaten cold as a sort of bread with curry. Which is what would happen at lunch and/or dinner time.

Goat Curry. I love my all my aunties recreations, but nothing beats my ma’s lol
it’s a “richer” taste than say lamb, I guess and I like lamb curry too. I just prefer goat. Though if you choose the wrong one, it can be rather chewy lol

Potato curry is also one of the staples I had growing up, given that many of our festivals require us to go vegetarian for a while. And honestly that was an easy way for my mum to make me avoid meat as a kid, since I am rather carnivorous by nature lol

Crab curry, especially using what’s called “Giant Mudcrabs.” Or “muddies” as they’re called here
Omg if you ever get a chance to eat this, do so
I’m eagerly awaiting crab season (for Qld it’s December to July) so I can enjoy this dish. We curry the whole crab, shell and all. It locks in all the flavour and it’s one of my all time favourite seafood dishes.

What are some of yours?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My mother's cooking was awful. Well, at least to me. She was a box-mix person, and canned everything... lot of meat and potato type stuff. I went vegetarian young(12), and that removed me from eating her food anymore. Then learned to make stuff I loved.

But my friend's mother would make me something I called chocolate honk. It was just crispy chow mein noodles dipped in melted chocolate, and left to dry. I loved that, and I loved that she made it for me(even though she said she didn't; we could see her hidden grin, and even her own kid knew she made it for me).

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
My mother's cooking was awful. Well, at least to me. She was a box-mix person, and canned everything... lot of meat and potato type stuff. I went vegetarian young(12), and that removed me from eating her food anymore. Then learned to make stuff I loved.

But my friend's mother would make me something I called chocolate honk. It was just crispy chow mein noodles dipped in melted chocolate, and left to dry. I loved that, and I loved that she made it for me(even though she said she didn't; we could see her hidden grin, and even her own kid knew she made it for me).
Omg that sounds amazing!

My friends mum will still make us all “curry puffs” because she knows how much we all fight over them lol

exchemist

Veteran Member
So despite my unhealthy reliance on fast food, I can’t deny that a home cooked meal is preferable
And I’m sure no matter how old we may get, nothing will ever come close to our Mother’s cooking (or perhaps our friends mother’s cooking lol.)
So what are some of your favourite home cooked meals?
Your favourite secret recipes?
Your own failures to replicate your family’s special meals? Lol

Mine are mostly curry based, big shock lol.
But as a kid mum would sometimes, for a treat, make me what’s called Puri.
Which are essentially deep fried pancakes. And yes it’s as decadent as it sounds. It’s also really easy to make. Some wheat flour, salt and water, depending on the recipe. That’s it really.
It has many variants you can try.
Would often eat them hot and fresh with syrup or honey. And the leftovers can be eaten cold as a sort of bread with curry. Which is what would happen at lunch and/or dinner time.

Goat Curry. I love my all my aunties recreations, but nothing beats my ma’s lol
it’s a “richer” taste than say lamb, I guess and I like lamb curry too. I just prefer goat. Though if you choose the wrong one, it can be rather chewy lol

Potato curry is also one of the staples I had growing up, given that many of our festivals require us to go vegetarian for a while. And honestly that was an easy way for my mum to make me avoid meat as a kid, since I am rather carnivorous by nature lol

Crab curry, especially using what’s called “Giant Mudcrabs.” Or “muddies” as they’re called here
Omg if you ever get a chance to eat this, do so
I’m eagerly awaiting crab season (for Qld it’s December to July) so I can enjoy this dish. We curry the whole crab, shell and all. It locks in all the flavour and it’s one of my all time favourite seafood dishes.

What are some of yours?
We had a thread like this a few months ago in which I gave 2 of my favourite recipes, in posts 8 and 12: rabbit stew with mustard and tarragon, and polpette (meat balls with fennel): Does anyone have any favorite recipes?

I have another favourite, which is a Yotam Ottolenghi one for pork belly with ginger, star anise, soy sauce, cider and apple. However, as Ottolenghi has a policy of never specifying 3 ingredients when 12 will do, I can't be arsed to write it all up on the forum. This one has been off-limits for me for the last few months, as I cracked a crown in the summer and needed to get a replacement before my gnashers became once more able to handle crispy crackling.

My mother was a good cook, certainly, but I think that now, at the age of 68, I have as much experience and capability as she once did.;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
What's in a curry puff?
I think it's more or less a samosa, with similar options for the filling.

In Dubai, in the 80s, we got samosas from a street vendor that came to the office. I always thought the vegetable ones were better than the meat ones. One could also get chilli pakoras, which were fun but tended to blow your head off and give you hiccups.:D

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member

In Dubai, in the 80s, we got samosas from a street vendor that came to the office. I always though the vegetable ones were better than the meat ones. One could also get chilli pakoras, which were fun but tended to blow your head off and give you hiccups.:D
Despite my love of meat, I have to agree that veggie samosas are often better lol
Granted most of the samosas I have are usually during some festivals so they’re vegetarian by default really lol but still

I remember my mother once tried a Pakistani dish from a vendor. Not entirely sure what it was, but her face turned red and she went back for more lol
Her chilli tolerance is insane so it must have been hot as hell lol

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My mom is traditional a meat, potatoes and veg person. The number of ways you can serve them up is amazing, quiet a variety.

My own specialities are Thai crab and prawn curry. Chilli con carne (usually with fresh chillies. Couscous with various lightly cooked (crisp) veggies, wilted spinach and peanut butter sauce. Beef casserole (moms influence). Bolognese sauce makes as many pasta dishes as there is pasta, i add bacon as a flavouring.

Often i won't use water, instead I'll pour in a bottle of red wine.

Oh and warm goats cheese and fig salad...

exchemist

Veteran Member
Despite my love of meat, I have to agree that veggie samosas are often better lol
Granted most of the samosas I have are usually during some festivals so they’re vegetarian by default really lol but still

I remember my mother once tried a Pakistani dish from a vendor. Not entirely sure what it was, but her face turned red and she went back for more lol
Her chilli tolerance is insane so it must have been hot as hell lol
Some of those things can burn on the way out as well - what one girlfriend referred to as "ring-stingers". A story went round that some European asked a Sikh what to do to prevent that and he said "Sir, the best thing is an iced banana". When the European enquired how eating iced bananas would make any difference, the Sikh replied, "Sir. You do not eat it." :eek:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Some of those things can burn on the way out as well - what one girlfriend referred to as "ring-stingers". A story went round that some European asked a Sikh what to do to prevent that and he said "Sir, the best thing is an iced banana". When the European enquired how eating iced bananas would make any difference, the Sikh replied, "Sir. You do not eat it." :eek:
Lmao!!!!
I know well the umm burning of the other end, as it were. Whilst my mum would often deliberately “tone down” her cooking for me when I was a kid, the aunties didn’t always do that. If you get my meaning ;):eek:
Or rather we’d attend various gatherings and I’d accidentally eat the “adults only” curry portions lol

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

In Dubai, in the 80s, we got samosas from a street vendor that came to the office. I always though the vegetable ones were better than the meat ones. One could also get chilli pakoras, which were fun but tended to blow your head off and give you hiccups.:D

Curry puff - Wikipedia
Potatoes, curry sometimes chicken
It’s basically a variant of the Samosa

They sound wonderful!

I tend to like it hot, too... I got in a spice war with my Nepalese waitress at a local restaurant. We went in and ordered off the Indian menu, and I requested spicy. She shook her head and said they don't let non-Indians get spicy, as they can't handle it, but she'd make it 'American spicy'. I consented, disappointed. She asked how I liked the meal, and I said it was okay, but it wasn't even remotely spicy.

We went back a week or two later, and she said she'd kick it up a bit. I said it still wasn't spicy enough.

The next time, with a smirk, she said fine, they'll make it Indian spicy, just for me. She had a smug look when she brought it to the table. I began eating heartily. "Too spicy, yes?" I told her "No! This is delicious! Thank you!" With a disgusted look, she told me "Only you and my husband can eat that! I can't eat that!" Apparently, they'd given me their worst, thinking I'd have fire from my ears.

We got along great after that, and when I'd order, she'd just say "spicy, I know". It was more difficult during Covid, when they couldn't see who was making the order, so my husband would just say "we want it spicy; this is the guy with the really long hair and his blue haired wife". Sadly, they sold during Covid, and the new owners completely changed it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My mother did some cooking that was very very good. She did an oxtail stew that I have as yet to replicate. i often ask my housemate if she wants "Mom's fried chicken" and she knows exactly what I mean. A simple pan fired, not deep fried, chicken pan fired in butter. Usually skinless bone in thighs or legs. That is served with riced potatoes and green peas and of course gravy from the pan. (I throw the chicken onto a plate and put it in a warm oven while making the gravy.

But where she really outperformed most was in her pies. And though many do not realize it the crust of a pie needs to be properly made to taste right. My sister can make her pies. I have not tackled those yet.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
They sound wonderful!

I tend to like it hot, too... I got in a spice war with my Nepalese waitress at a local restaurant. We went in and ordered off the Indian menu, and I requested spicy. She shook her head and said they don't let non-Indians get spicy, as they can't handle it, but she'd make it 'American spicy'. I consented, disappointed. She asked how I liked the meal, and I said it was okay, but it wasn't even remotely spicy.

We went back a week or two later, and she said she'd kick it up a bit. I said it still wasn't spicy enough.

The next time, with a smirk, she said fine, they'll make it Indian spicy, just for me. She had a smug look when she brought it to the table. I began eating heartily. "Too spicy, yes?" I told her "No! This is delicious! Thank you!" With a disgusted look, she told me "Only you and my husband can eat that! I can't eat that!" Apparently, they'd given me their worst, thinking I'd have fire from my ears.

We got along great after that, and when I'd order, she'd just say "spicy, I know". It was more difficult during Covid, when they couldn't see who was making the order, so my husband would just say "we want it spicy; this is the guy with the really long hair and his blue haired wife". Sadly, they sold during Covid, and the new owners completely changed it.
Oh that sucks. Always awful to lose a favourite local

Although being a “gora” or a “whitey” I can attest to this perception backfiring haha

I wouldn’t say my tolerance level is quite high or even as high as yours (well done, by the way.)
It does sometimes amuse whenever I go into an Asian/Indian restaurant and order something spicy. Only to wipe the smug looks off the faces of the cooks and/or waiters, expecting me to be running for milk after I take a bite of their cooking.
It’s also equally as entertaining to take my Aussie mates and watch them try to take me on in a contest of who can’t eat the most chilli. I can’t take at least 3 or 4 normal ones. They can barely handle one lol
Is that bad of me?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh that sucks. Always awful to lose a favourite local

Although being a “gora” or a “whitey” I can attest to this perception backfiring haha

I wouldn’t say my tolerance level is quite high or even as high as yours (well done, by the way.)
It does sometimes amuse whenever I go into an Asian/Indian restaurant and order something spicy. Only to wipe the smug looks off the faces of the cooks and/or waiters, expecting me to be running for milk after I take a bite of their cooking.
It’s also equally as entertaining to take my Aussie mates and watch them try to take me on in a contest of who can’t eat the most chilli. I can’t take at least 3 or 4 normal ones. They can barely handle one lol
Is that bad of me?

Its not bad of you. Everyone likes what they like!

The kids seem to have inherited our spice love. We sometimes buy a spicy ramen that my middle son loves; it really is quite hot. My husband challenged a co-worker to eat it. He took a big bite, cried and threw up. My husband showed him a video of our son(at 8) eating it as casually as if it was mac & cheese...

I assume everyone's tongue processes it differently.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Lmao!!!!
I know well the umm burning of the other end, as it were. Whilst my mum would often deliberately “tone down” her cooking for me when I was a kid, the aunties didn’t always do that. If you get my meaning ;):eek:
Or rather we’d attend various gatherings and I’d accidentally eat the “adults only” curry portions lol
We would sometimes retreat to the toilet the next day pretending to have a fire extinguisher in there with us and make agonised whimpering noises followed by the sound of blasts of the fire extinguisher.:D

exchemist

Veteran Member
My mother did some cooking that was very very good. She did an oxtail stew that I have as yet to replicate. i often ask my housemate if she wants "Mom's fried chicken" and she knows exactly what I mean. A simple pan fired, not deep fried, chicken pan fired in butter. Usually skinless bone in thighs or legs. That is served with riced potatoes and green peas and of course gravy from the pan. (I throw the chicken onto a plate and put it in a warm oven while making the gravy.

But where she really outperformed most was in her pies. And though many do not realize it the crust of a pie needs to be properly made to taste right. My sister can make her pies. I have not tackled those yet.
Ah, now I haven't made oxtail stew in years. In fact I think the last time was during the British BSE crisis, when anything spinal was forbidden, but I got some under the counter, cheap, from the local butcher. I think I used to do it with onion, garlic, tomato, probably thyme and bay........ and butter beans. I remember I cooked it for 4hrs and skimmed fat off it at intervals several times.

I think my son wouldn't approve nowadays, as beef comes from a ruminant and is thus bad for climate change. Rabbit, pork, chicken and duck are the meats we tend to focus on now, though I admit I do still occasionally treat myself to a half-shoulder of lamb.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t think I’ve ever had rabbit. Despite having relatives who live in the outback (bush/middle of nowhere) where that’s common. And indeed Brit relatives
What’s it like?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Ah, now I haven't made oxtail stew in years. In fact I think the last time was during the British BSE crisis, when anything spinal was forbidden, but I got some under the counter, cheap, from the local butcher. I think I used to do it with onion, garlic, tomato, probably thyme and bay........ and butter beans. I remember I cooked it for 4hrs and skimmed fat off it at intervals several times.

I think my son wouldn't approve nowadays, as beef comes from a ruminant and is thus bad for climate change. Rabbit, pork, chicken and duck are the meats we tend to focus on now, though I admit I do still occasionally treat myself to a half-shoulder of lamb.
Yeah, it takes a long time to cook properly, and a lot of fat is removed in the process. If you have the patience you can cook mostly the meat for three hours, don't skim it at all. Put it in the fridge and start again the next day. The first thing to do is to remove the hard layer of fat on top. That minimizes future skimming. Heat it up. Add your vegetables and cook until done.

And butter beans are called lima beans in much of the US. And this is a butterbean:

upload_2022-11-17_14-54-32.png