• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

not worshipping the sun?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don’t know if this has ever been done before, but here are some reasons I’ve thought of, to worship the sun:
  1. Its existence cannot be doubted
  2. Without it life would not exist, it created us
  3. It shines on each of us with equal measure and has no favourites
  4. It will never fail or abandon us, it can be relied upon 100%
What reason do you have for not worshipping the sun?

Personally: I don’t worship it because I choose to worship the being who created it (God) and also, it cannot love me as it is an insentient ball of fire - one cannot have a meaningful relationship with the sun anymore than one can have a meaningful relationship with a table or a pen, no matter how important it is

But, historically sun worship is a thing: Solar deity - Wikipedia

And, finally, I'd like to venture the opinion that the above four points all apply to God himself (at least for me) :cool:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am pretty sure Akhenaten had similar ideas

I think #4 is problematic. The sun will die in around 5 billion years when it runs out of fuel. However, humanity (probably all life on earth) will be long dead by then.

It is thought that monotheism and the idea of the abrahamic god derived from Atenism

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I am pretty sure Akhenaten had similar ideas

I think #4 is problematic. The sun will die in around 5 billion years when it runs out of fuel. However, humanity (probably all life on earth) will be long dead by then.

I get the impression that most polytheists aren't really concerned about our gods not being undying or immortal. Change is a fundamental aspect of our reality, and when your gods are mythopoetic renditions of various aspects of reality (from the sun to abstract principles like learning), why wouldn't the nature of the gods reflect the changing and temporary nature of our universe?

74x12

I don’t know if this has ever been done before, but here are some reasons I’ve thought of, to worship the sun:

Personally: I don’t worship it because I choose to worship the being who created it (God) and also, it cannot love me as it is an insentient ball of fire - one cannot have a meaningful relationship with the sun anymore than one can have a meaningful relationship with a table or a pen, no matter how important it is

And, finally, I'd like to venture the opinion that the above four points all apply to God himself (at least for me) :cool:
You said it. The reason it's wrong is because as great as the sun is; you have to consider how much greater the One who made it is to easily make such a thing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It very clearly favors those in the equatorial regions above those in the polar regions...

:)

Ahh, the equatorial relations are too hot, the polar regions too cold but the temperate regions are just right

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I'm allergic to the Sun. The Sun would have to be an evil God for me. Or maybe I'm just an evil person, like a vampire.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I worship Sun deities. Mind you, I do not worship the physical Sun but the animating spirit behind it (the daimon of the Sun). That's a key difference that most people don't understand and so they present silly caricatures of polytheists and animists worshiping rocks, when that's not actually correct.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

In my household I was taught to worship the sun. Or at least give my thanks

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I like that Carlin routine, too.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Excuse me, are you saying I copied that Carlin bloke's ideas, in that video???

Because I didn't and it's bang out of order for you to say that

I've never even heard of him

In that case, you really should listen to some of his stuff. He was amazing.