• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not sure where to look next?

illykitty

RF's pet cat
(Somewhat a repost from my journal, plus added things.)
Well, I've come almost full circle. I have to admit to myself I am agnostic. I can't seem to be able to connect to the idea of theism.

The difference however, is that as a teen, I called myself an atheist. I was also very uninformed about religions and had a harsh black and white view of them. I feel now more informed, less harsh and recognise some good in religions. I feel also there's a lot to learn from various point of views and it gave me a broader outlook on life, destroyed some misconceptions and assumptions.

Though I've got to say, my search isn't done, I still want to be part of something. I still feel a religious pull... Except I just can't, in honesty, be part of something that requires belief in a deity (if something more symbolic or metaphorical, then ok). I just feel too unsure of the existence of one nor do I think I have experienced any evidence of it. There have been coincidences but I am not inclined to believe it was anything tangible.

I know of Buddhism, Humanists, Taoism (?)... I wonder if there's other non-theistic groups my tired brain is forgetting?
Can anyone give me suggestions to what to look into next? I'm open to any suggestions.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Some good in religions? Religions are completely good, practitioners are the ones holding good & bad. :D

Well, seeing Islam as your religion, there is some good in it, but some I view as not good. That is my perspective however. Also, do you have any suggestions?

Non-theistic Luciferianism?

Well, I will look at it, though honestly, LHP tend to scare me a little, but maybe this is more to do with my ignorance of it. I'm also very preoccupied with helping out the weak, caring about nature and animals... I wonder if this is compatible with it at all?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I will look at it, though honestly, LHP tend to scare me a little, but maybe this is more to do with my ignorance of it. I'm also very preoccupied with helping out the weak, caring about nature and animals... I wonder if this is compatible with it at all?
When I was a Luciferian (my old posts are still on here!) it was a sort of wisdom based religion, where one is constantly seeking to better oneself and others, to attain knowledge, etc. Lucifer is seen as the 'Light-Bearer' or bringer of enlightenment, but is often just used as a motif, a symbol.

Raahim

مكتوب
Well, seeing Islam as your religion, there is some good in it, but some I view as not good. That is my perspective however. Also, do you have any suggestions?

Well I assume you're not interested in Islam so it makes it little hard for me to give a recommendation.
I'd suggest the same as someone above mentioned, Noahide might suit you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
(Somewhat a repost from my journal, plus added things.)
Well, I've come almost full circle. I have to admit to myself I am agnostic. I can't seem to be able to connect to the idea of theism.

The difference however, is that as a teen, I called myself an atheist. I was also very uninformed about religions and had a harsh black and white view of them. I feel now more informed, less harsh and recognise some good in religions. I feel also there's a lot to learn from various point of views and it gave me a broader outlook on life, destroyed some misconceptions and assumptions.

Though I've got to say, my search isn't done, I still want to be part of something. I still feel a religious pull... Except I just can't, in honesty, be part of something that requires belief in a deity (if something more symbolic or metaphorical, then ok). I just feel too unsure of the existence of one nor do I think I have experienced any evidence of it. There have been coincidences but I am not inclined to believe it was anything tangible.

I know of Buddhism, Humanists, Taoism (?)... I wonder if there's other non-theistic groups my tired brain is forgetting?
Can anyone give me suggestions to what to look into next? I'm open to any suggestions.
Get a book of enlightment that has mirrors for pages.

illykitty

RF's pet cat
When I was a Luciferian (my old posts are still on here!) it was a sort of wisdom based religion, where one is constantly seeking to better oneself and others, to attain knowledge, etc. Lucifer is seen as the 'Light-Bearer' or bringer of enlightenment, but is often just used as a motif, a symbol.

Interesting. So you have a few recommended sources (websites, books)? I found some on my own but not sure if they are good ones, I want to make sure I have accurate info.

Do you know about the Noahides? They don't require a belief in G-d, per se. They do require abstaining from idolatry. Here is a link to an overview of Noahidism,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahidism

I have read about them slightly, but didn't know belief wasn't a requirement. I am not closed to the possibility of the existence, I'm agnostic because I have no reason to believe (apart from desire, but that alone doesn't convince me). I will look into it, since I've always had a paradoxical attraction to Judaism. Thank you for your input, I will take it on board!

Get a book of enlightment that has mirrors for pages.

Well, a little difficult for someone prone to low self-esteem, perfectionism and bouts of self-loathing. I see where you're coming from with that however, I just don't feel I am at that stage.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. So you have a few recommended sources (websites, books)? I found some on my own but not sure if they are good ones, I want to make sure I have accurate info.
Not really, the definition of Luciferianism changes from person to person.

Treks

Don't forget, a/theism are statements relating to belief. A/gnosticism are statements relating to knowledge.

Technically I think we're all agnostic when it comes to the existence of god. :p We either believe or we don't believe. The thing I and other people struggle with more is working out what we believe. You'd think that'd be easy...

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Don't forget, a/theism are statements relating to belief. A/gnosticism are statements relating to knowledge.

Technically I think we're all agnostic when it comes to the existence of god. :p We either believe or we don't believe. The thing I and other people struggle with more is working out what we believe. You'd think that'd be easy...

True, I know, I just don't really know what I believe. I am really on the fence whether a deity exists or not. It's just that I have no such impression since I have no clear signs. I had vague things happen, but I believe them to be coincidences. If there is a deity out there, I wish it could make it a bit more obvious to me. So maybe I don't believe because I have no reason to believe, just wishful thoughts. I don't know how to "just have faith", it's not how I function.

Nah it isn't easy at all. It's very difficult because we're dealing with abstractions and putting them into words, which are so "confined" in a sense, is very difficult. It seems it's always going to fall short of really expressing it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@illykitty , may I suggest you read a bit about Paganism and Hinduism? It has been my experience that inspiration is a big part of practice, and it may be difficult to guess on advance.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
You're a nice person, Illy. I hope you find the path you are looking for.

There is no single system/law in the world that meets every single ounce of our liking. We cannot tailor beliefs as we like, and we cannot come up with new ones in a day and night, let alone having it a truth. Taking a belief, should be along with having faith in its details. Parts we don't like do not necessarily define believing in that faith or its goodness. What matters is what that faith basically stands for. I think many seekers face so much trouble in their lives because of getting into deep details in this.

Treks

I think SG is right on the mark. Seekers do the deep dive... it's sometimes like instead of seeking truth, faith and goodness, we seek the reasons not to believe or align with a religion. This has been my experience anyway.

It's not easy at all! I hear you, Illykitty. In fact, sometimes I wish I could just believe and not worry about the details that I don't agree with.

Torah4Yah

image.png
If you are looking for the truth it can't be found in the bible. It isn't taught in any church. Faith and grace are not what YHWH (Yahowah) taught. YHWH taught know what he said and trust in it. Know and trust is diametrically different. I have two friends that are on a team that has been translating the dss (Dead Sea scrolls) the Qumran scrolls the oldest extant text we have today found in the 1940's if you want to know the truth it is in this text I have 75% of these scrolls translated in the way God intended his words to be understood. I can email you the files if you like and give you a link to a 3000 page book explaining how they did the translation what they used and why. The bible any way you pick it apart originates from the masoretic text a already corrupted writing. I put an image of a verse as an example of how different the bible reads verses the truth