• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not Sure Where I Fit In

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
I grew up as a Southern Baptist, but am now more of a Deist with Christian roots.

I have been away for over a year and things have changed in my life. While I have gained in knowledge about world religions as well as ancient history, it only served to confuse me even more. I feel I am too skeptical and I tend to question everything. I have doubts and use reasoning when looking outside of the box. Here are some of my personal beliefs:

1. I believe in God. He is the creator. I do not believe the Genesis stories of creation, at least not in a literal sense. I lean more toward theistic evolution.

2. I grew up believing in Jesus as the messiah and Son of God, and while I still hold to that belief, it presents questions. I find myself wondering if the Jesus story was just a copy of an older story, or if there is any truth to it at all. I feel blasphemous for thinking such, but my rationale mind weighs evidence objectively.

3. I do not believe in the exodus story, nor the global flood story. This would be a long discussion as to why.

4. I believe in free will. Because of it, God does not interfere with any choice that a human makes. Bad things happen because someone chose to do something bad, not because of some evil arch enemy of God.

5. I do not believe in Satan as the devil, nor do I believe in demons. God is the creator of all and if He wanted He could simply uncreate those beings if they were truly evil. I see it more as Satan serving a specific role and is carrying out his assigned duties. The theme of good vs. evil is manmade, and found all throughout mythology and folklore.

6. While I do pray, I tend to think that prayers are typically not answered. Maybe it is because of free will, or maybe God has simply moved on to create elsewhere. Regardless, more times than not people are left with unanswered prayers.

7. In studying ancient history/religions, I am open to the idea that people were nomadic and their stories traveled with them. Those stories were borrowed from culture to culture and grew over time. The Romans adopting Greek mythology and changing the names is a prime example. Ancient Babylon and Egypt serve as the catalyst for many of those stories. This leads back to #2 above.

Where do I fit in?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Where do you fit in? Deism. Those items you listed are not incompatible with deism. There are flavors of deism. Deism does not require a remote, aloof, disinterested or uninterested God. That's Classical Deism, but different variations have cropped up over the years.

As for the stories, I think they are metaphors and morality tales. Many of the stories in the Hindu puranas are the same way... colorful (very colorful! :D) stories that have lessons to teach. Some people take them literally ('purana' means 'history'), but some are so outlandish, they can only be moral lessons. Same for the bible stories... lessons.

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
Where do you fit in? Deism. Those items you listed are not incompatible with deism. There are flavors of deism. Deism does not require a remote, aloof, disinterested or uninterested God. That's Classical Deism, but different variations have cropped up over the years.

Yeah, that is why I lean toward progressive deism, which is what I call a blending of Christian roots, deism and science.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It works! Check your PMs in a few minutes.

GoodbyeDave

You're either a Deist or a Unitarian.

On prayer, Sallustius (a ancient Greek Deist) said it was a process which changed us, by turning our minds towards the divine. Socrates told his friends that he just prayed to be given what would be good for him, saying that the gods would know better than he.

A

angellous_evangellous

I grew up as a Southern Baptist, but am now more of a Deist with Christian roots.

I have been away for over a year and things have changed in my life. While I have gained in knowledge about world religions as well as ancient history, it only served to confuse me even more. I feel I am too skeptical and I tend to question everything. I have doubts and use reasoning when looking outside of the box. Here are some of my personal beliefs:

1. I believe in God. He is the creator. I do not believe the Genesis stories of creation, at least not in a literal sense. I lean more toward theistic evolution.

2. I grew up believing in Jesus as the messiah and Son of God, and while I still hold to that belief, it presents questions. I find myself wondering if the Jesus story was just a copy of an older story, or if there is any truth to it at all. I feel blasphemous for thinking such, but my rationale mind weighs evidence objectively.

3. I do not believe in the exodus story, nor the global flood story. This would be a long discussion as to why.

4. I believe in free will. Because of it, God does not interfere with any choice that a human makes. Bad things happen because someone chose to do something bad, not because of some evil arch enemy of God.

5. I do not believe in Satan as the devil, nor do I believe in demons. God is the creator of all and if He wanted He could simply uncreate those beings if they were truly evil. I see it more as Satan serving a specific role and is carrying out his assigned duties. The theme of good vs. evil is manmade, and found all throughout mythology and folklore.

6. While I do pray, I tend to think that prayers are typically not answered. Maybe it is because of free will, or maybe God has simply moved on to create elsewhere. Regardless, more times than not people are left with unanswered prayers.

7. In studying ancient history/religions, I am open to the idea that people were nomadic and their stories traveled with them. Those stories were borrowed from culture to culture and grew over time. The Romans adopting Greek mythology and changing the names is a prime example. Ancient Babylon and Egypt serve as the catalyst for many of those stories. This leads back to #2 above.

Where do I fit in?

Sounds like you're still a Southern Baptist to me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You're human. Although many of us have attached labels to who we are, I don't feel it's a necessity if nothing quite fits.

Stonepillar

I agree with your beliefs, good sir, and I was raised similar ;)
I define myself as a universalist to say the least, but my roots are with Christianity. I too, don't take everything written in the bible literally.

CDWolfe

Progressive Deist
Been doing some research. It seems liberal Christianity, Non-denominational and Christian Deism are all pretty similar. Same flavor ice cream with different sprinkles!

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
..I find myself wondering if the Jesus story was just a copy of an older story, or if there is any truth to it at all..

Jesus was TOO BIG to be a myth..:)
For a start his arrival was foretold centuries before just as he said-
"All things about me in the law of Moses,the Prophets and the Psalms,must be fulfilled" (Luke 24:44)

And when he arrived he didn't hide, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the Roman garrison, that's a lot of eyeballs-
“I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)

And- "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25)
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12 :37)
He pulled crowds of over 4000 and 5000 at two gigs alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13)

Even the Koran written some 600 years later dare not deny Jesus was something special:- "Allah.. exalted some messengers above others and gave miracles to Jesus the son of Mary and strengthened him with the holy spirit" (Koran 2:253)

Heck, he was almost as big as Elvis, right Elv?

"Uh-huh"..
elvis-at-mike.jpg