• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not learning to read English

Leo613

Can I sue for damages for going to a jewish ultra orthodox school in England where there were no classes to read or write English or basic math?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Sure. As I just said in another thread. People can sue for anything they like. It doesn't have to make sense.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Can I sue for damages for going to a jewish ultra orthodox school in England where there were no classes to read or write English or basic math?
I think in America to not go to a public school you have to have some other type of education that meets certain minimum requirements. I am sure math and English would be required. What about England?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I think in America to not go to a public school you have to have some other type of education that meets certain minimum requirements. I am sure math and English would be required. What about England?
This

Skwim

Veteran Member
Googled the situation and came up with the following. It appears that not only is the school's operating organization, The Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations, to blame, but the parents as well.

"On a warm afternoon on a recent visit at the heart of London’s Hassidic Jewish community, fathers with people-carriers are collecting their children from pre-schools and primary schools. Little groups of teenage girls link arms in the sunshine and chatter together in Yiddish as they walk home from the Yesodey Hatorah voluntary-aided secondary school in Stamford Hill.

Strikingly, though – in a community where large families are the norm – there are no teenage boys on the streets today. Nor are there any registered secondary schools – independent or state – for Jewish boys in this area.

Where do they go, the boys, when they leave the area’s many independent primary schools at the age of 12?

It is no secret – from the age of 13, many boys in this community attend religious yeshivas, which focus on study of the Talmud and the Torah. These schools start early and finish late – according to some accounts, continuing until 10pm. They do not teach the national curriculum, and according to former pupils there is little tuition in basics such as English or maths.

But there’s a problem. Most yeshivas, according to briefing notes written by officials at the Department for Education and released under the Freedom of Information Act three years ago, are not registered as schools.

“Most … are therefore operating illegally and without the most basic health, safety and child welfare checks. We understand that boys from abroad may attend yeshivas here on some kind of boarding basis – this is also completely unregulated,” the DfE’s officials add.

*snip*

David is in his 20s. He says he barely spoke English when he left yeshiva at the age of 19, and that he had to virtually begin his education again after telling his family their lifestyle was not for him. “Most people who try to leave end up going back because they find it impossible,” he says. Ofsted did sometimes visit his yeshiva to find out whether it was operating illegally, he says – and the children were often told not to come to school or to leave if the inspectors arrived
."

source and MUCH more

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Googled the situation and came up with the following. It appears that not only is the school's operating organization, The Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations, to blame, but the parents as well.

"On a warm afternoon on a recent visit at the heart of London’s Hassidic Jewish community, fathers with people-carriers are collecting their children from pre-schools and primary schools. Little groups of teenage girls link arms in the sunshine and chatter together in Yiddish as they walk home from the Yesodey Hatorah voluntary-aided secondary school in Stamford Hill.

Strikingly, though – in a community where large families are the norm – there are no teenage boys on the streets today. Nor are there any registered secondary schools – independent or state – for Jewish boys in this area.

Where do they go, the boys, when they leave the area’s many independent primary schools at the age of 12?

It is no secret – from the age of 13, many boys in this community attend religious yeshivas, which focus on study of the Talmud and the Torah. These schools start early and finish late – according to some accounts, continuing until 10pm. They do not teach the national curriculum, and according to former pupils there is little tuition in basics such as English or maths.

But there’s a problem. Most yeshivas, according to briefing notes written by officials at the Department for Education and released under the Freedom of Information Act three years ago, are not registered as schools.

“Most … are therefore operating illegally and without the most basic health, safety and child welfare checks. We understand that boys from abroad may attend yeshivas here on some kind of boarding basis – this is also completely unregulated,” the DfE’s officials add.

*snip*

David is in his 20s. He says he barely spoke English when he left yeshiva at the age of 19, and that he had to virtually begin his education again after telling his family their lifestyle was not for him. “Most people who try to leave end up going back because they find it impossible,” he says. Ofsted did sometimes visit his yeshiva to find out whether it was operating illegally, he says – and the children were often told not to come to school or to leave if the inspectors arrived
."

source and MUCH more

Leo, sue the school and the government. For the legal advice I take 30%.

Shad

Veteran Member

Look up the mandate regarding the curriculum religious schools are required to follow. Although I could be wrong I assume that there is a required education standard religious schools must follow. I do not know if you could still sue if this was years after the fact. However you can still blow the whistle on a school that does not educate their students in the basics requirement of many education systems.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Look up the mandate regarding the curriculum religious schools are required to follow. Although I could be wrong I assume that there is a required education standard religious schools must follow. I do not know if you could still sue if this was years after the fact. However you can still blow the whistle on a school that does not educate their students in the basics requirement of many education systems.
Read post #6.

buddhist

Sure, assuming nobody forced you to go, go ahead and sue yourself for choosing to go. ;)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I studied law in my country, not in the UK, but I am pretty sure that the English common law doesn't give you the right to do that.

Tiberius

Sure. As I just said in another thread. People can sue for anything they like. It doesn't have to make sense.

I shall sue you for having only four sentences in that post rather than the more easily counted five. Groups of five are easier to count, after all.

Jedster

Hmmm..interesting.
I went to a Jewish ultra orthodox school(1950s,60s) which was(is?) one of the top in the country for academic results.
Was it a Satmar or Neturay Karta school?

Jedster

I am really shocked that a Lubuvitch school doesn't teach basics. I am even more shocked that the place hasn't been closed down. I would have thought that such schools are against the law in England. Is said school still in existence?

I did have my own gripes with Lubuvitch when I attended their Yeshiva in Kfar Habad. I complained that the washing areas and toilets were not clean and was told "..this has nothing to do with religion..".
So I left.

As you may know, most orthodox who are not Lubuvitchers consider them outside Judaism, so if you want to sue, get an orthodox-Jewish lawyer who is not a Lubuvitcher.

I have had 2 large court cases in my life and I can tell that even though 'I won', it really took alot out of me. Both in time and energy.
So, think carefully before you initiate anything.

Leo613

I am really shocked that a Lubuvitch school doesn't teach basics. I am even more shocked that the place hasn't been closed down. I would have thought that such schools are against the law in England. Is said school still in existence?

I did have my own gripes with Lubuvitch when I attended their Yeshiva in Kfar Habad. I complained that the washing areas and toilets were not clean and was told "..this has nothing to do with religion..".
So I left.

As you may know, most orthodox who are not Lubuvitchers consider them outside Judaism, so if you want to sue, get an orthodox-Jewish lawyer who is not a Lubuvitcher.

I have had 2 large court cases in my life and I can tell that even though 'I won', it really took alot out of me. Both in time and energy.
So, think carefully before you initiate anything.
The primary school does have English now but high school has no English at all.