• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not blocking my father.

rocala

I was very interested in @Eddi 's post, "blocking my father on FB". It brought back a lot of memories and I became very tense while reading it.

My father was always an absentee, luckily I was raised by my marvellous grandparents until I was thirteen. Then it was my mother and stepfather.

My father was a nasty, violent man who carried a gun at one time and mixed with gangsters. He did not hesitate to use violence towards me or my mother. He had been blessed with a private education, had a posh accent and was considered charming and great company.

When I was in my thirties he got in touch. My younger sister had no memories of him and was eager to arrange a meetup. For me it was it was like a whirlwind of emotions that I did not know I possessed.

It went well and we met several times. I even went with him for two weeks in order to meet relatives that I never knew existed.

On one occasion he talked briefly of his childhood. His father a very 'respectable' army officer was a pretty unsavoury character and a suspect of at least one murder. The grandfather sounded quite horrible too. My father was looking at me and he said "it seems we are a very cold family." He was not the type to talk about feelings and I believe that was his way of apologising.

He died in 2000, and I am glad that I did not block him out. It answered a lot of questions and I saw that he was not the complete monster I had previously believed.

The difference @Eddi is that in the end my father did make some effort, so I met him half way. But I feel sure that I understand your emotional turmoil.
Happy new year.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I don't relate to either of your guys's scenarios, but when it comes to family I find it useful to be more open minded with them than with others, even if they have been absent, so long as they are not physically abusing you or using you for money or help. Family has a special sort of companionship with it, though, because of the 'unconditional love' aspect.

The more people you have available in your life, the better, even if only at a distance. Family is often a ready and available source for 'people', but there are often rough edges, sometimes sharp edges.

In the end, the only one who knows the situation is yourself, and you have to do what feels right for you.

Source: I've cut off my family for a while, but I realized my own wrongdoings as selfish and realized their wrongdoings as misunderstandings and I've started reconnecting with them a little more.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I was very interested in @Eddi 's post, "blocking my father on FB". It brought back a lot of memories and I became very tense while reading it.

My father was always an absentee, luckily I was raised by my marvellous grandparents until I was thirteen. Then it was my mother and stepfather.

My father was a nasty, violent man who carried a gun at one time and mixed with gangsters. He did not hesitate to use violence towards me or my mother. He had been blessed with a private education, had a posh accent and was considered charming and great company.

When I was in my thirties he got in touch. My younger sister had no memories of him and was eager to arrange a meetup. For me it was it was like a whirlwind of emotions that I did not know I possessed.

It went well and we met several times. I even went with him for two weeks in order to meet relatives that I never knew existed.

On one occasion he talked briefly of his childhood. His father a very 'respectable' army officer was a pretty unsavoury character and a suspect of at least one murder. The grandfather sounded quite horrible too. My father was looking at me and he said "it seems we are a very cold family." He was not the type to talk about feelings and I believe that was his way of apologising.

He died in 2000, and I am glad that I did not block him out. It answered a lot of questions and I saw that he was not the complete monster I had previously believed.

The difference @Eddi is that in the end my father did make some effort, so I met him half way. But I feel sure that I understand your emotional turmoil.
Happy new year.
Thank you for sharing this.
The last comment though... Maybe there is no difference..
Your dad used violence against you and your mom, so prior to your 30 th birthdate, you could have cussed him, and hated him.

However, you got to understand something thirty years subsequent to coming into this world.
You got to understand that people may act nasty for various reasons, but not because they are monsters.

I'm reminded of Romans 12:17-21.
Particularly verse 20. By being kind to others, who may seem like monsters, we may actually see a different person.

Sometimes that change comes about, simply because the person does not like what they are.
The thing is, keeping verse 18 in mind and putting it into practice, is important.
(Romans 12:18) If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.

Not always easy to do... but it's the best thing to do.
What a excellent principle!