• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not All Black Lives Matter It Seems

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that there isn't any large outcry about retired Police Captain David Dorn of St Louis who was killed by looters. But the Facebook video, which was taken down, showing the Captain bleeding-out was a good photo op for some deprived person. Oh, by the way Facebook said it should have not been taken down.
Retired police captain killed on Facebook Live while protecting friend’s pawn shop

Yeah, I know you think I'm trying to deflect but I'm sick and tire of the idea espoused by Criss Como that protest don't have to be peaceful.
CNN's Chris Cuomo blasted for suggesting protesters don't have to be 'peaceful'
I would have supplied an additional link but seems that the other sources must think he is right since they are not admonishing him...at least I can't find any.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Seems that there isn't any large outcry about retired Police Captain David Dorn of St Louis who was killed by looters. But the Facebook video, which was taken down, showing the Captain bleeding-out was a good photo op for some deprived person. Oh, by the way Facebook said it should have not been taken down.
Retired police captain killed on Facebook Live while protecting friend’s pawn shop

Yeah, I know you think I'm trying to deflect but I'm sick and tire of the idea espoused by Criss Como that protest don't have to be peaceful.
I would have supplied an additional link but seems that the other sources must think he is right since they are not admonishing him...at least I can't find any.
Sick and tired? Does this mean you have been exposed to a constant barrage of claims that protests don't have to be peaceful?

esmith

Veteran Member
Sick and tired? Does this mean you have been exposed to a constant barrage of claims that protests don't have to be peaceful?
Indirectly yes. Ask yourself a question how much news coverage have you seen that focuses on the damage done to business owners by these scum.
So, you seem to be focused on my issue and not the killing of the person...you just answered your own question.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Indirectly yes. Ask yourself a question how much news coverage have you seen that focuses on the damage done to business owners by these scum.
Indirectly? I'm not sure I fully understand this. Do you mean that not giving much airtime to the damage to shops is tantamount to justifying violence?

ecco

Veteran Member
Ask yourself a question how much news coverage have you seen that focuses on the damage done to business owners by these scum.

It depends on who you are watching.

On CNN I see scenes of peaceful protests and of riots and looting. There are far more scenes of peaceful protests than of looting.

I tuned in Fox for one hour to see what their take is. There were scenes of looting and rioting. There were none of peaceful protests.

Maybe you need to get a broader perspective.

esmith

Veteran Member
It depends on who you are watching.

On CNN I see scenes of peaceful protests and of riots and looting. There are far more scenes of peaceful protests than of looting.

I tuned in Fox for one hour to see what their take is. There were scenes of looting and rioting. There were none of peaceful protests.

Maybe you need to get a broader perspective.
Now you are more focused on my issue about CNN vice the death of a person, maybe you need to look at your own priorities....or is it you agree that looting is acceptable and downplaying it. Sure seems so.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree that there should be more balance in coverage and greater consistency in principles. That is an overall weakness in the liberal narrative which the right-wing is prone to attacking.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Protests don't have to be peaceful but if they aren't they cause more deaths at first. Once people get sick of the deaths or take issue they achieve the same results as peaceful protests. Also many peaceful protests incur deaths its just deaths of the protesters not the policing force.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Protests don't have to be peaceful
Sure seems so in the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."​

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."​

I am not talking about the first amendment and any laws I am talking about protesting what a group feels is important. The government is currently arresting them and that is fine. Just as there are speed limits you can exceed them at your own risk. A non-peaceful protest will eventually be quelled or turn into a civil war. The US revolution and Civil war are examples and history is known to repeat.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Protests don't have to be peaceful
According to the Constitution, yes, they do.
To be based in sanity, yes, they do.
To be based in decency, yes, they do.
Too many innocents (this includes minorities amd immigrants) have been harmed by the riots. Thats not furthering a cause. That isn't fighting against a systen of inequality. Its indiscriminate and wanton destruction that helps no one and is done only to harm.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
According to the Constitution, yes, they do.
To be based in sanity, yes, they do.
To be based in decency, yes, they do.
Too many innocents (this includes minorities amd immigrants) have been harmed by the riots. Thats not furthering a cause. That isn't fighting against a systen of inequality. Its indiscriminate and wanton destruction that helps no one and is done only to harm.

I am not talking about the first amendment and any laws I am talking about protesting what a group feels is important. The government is currently arresting them and that is fine. Just as there are speed limits you can exceed them at your own risk. A non-peaceful protest will eventually be quelled or turn into a civil war. The US revolution and Civil war are examples and history is known to repeat.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Sad incident indeed.
Police departments need to train and retrain the tenet in to their ops that deliberate killing of citizens can cause mass riots, countrywide, causing this kind of mayhem

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Sad incident indeed.
Police departments need to train and retrain the tenet in to their ops that deliberate killing of citizens can cause mass riots, countrywide, causing this kind of mayhem
In certain other threads this would be regarded as "victim blaming".

Jus' sayin'
Tom

QuestioningMind

Do you honestly not see the significant difference between these two incidents? In one case you have a citizen that was murdered at the hands of the authorities whose job it is to protect and serve the public, one in a sadly long line of such incidents. Incidents in which the authorities routinely attempt to defend the actions of the perpetrators and suggest that the victims were somehow responsible for their own deaths.

In the second case we have a man who was murdered by a violent rioter. Have you heard anyone with governmental authority suggesting that Mr. Dorn deserved to be killed? Has anyone claimed that 'We didn't see the video leading up to Mr. Dorn's death, which would have shown that the rioters were justified in killing him."? Is anyone suggesting that the rioter who killed this man had a right to because he 'feared for his life' If he does get arrested will the police union insist that he's innocent? Will ANYONE aside from his lawyer suggest that he's innocent and should be exempt from prosecution?

As far as I know NO ONE has spoken up in defense of whoever killed Mr. Dorn. IF the police and city authorities suddenly tried to suggest that Mr. Dorn's killer was justified and should be exempt from prosecution THEN you'd see the appropriate outrage from the citizenry. And IF the number of police officers who have been caught on tape brutally violating citizen's rights had routinely been arrested and persecuted to the full extent of the law instead of given a free pass, there wouldn't be any protests right now.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

This is the same country where the Boston Tea Party is a foundational myth and "we need are gunz to fight guvmint tyranny!" is the national religion, right?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
This is the same country where the Boston Tea Party is a foundational myth and "we need are gunz to fight guvmint tyranny!" is the national religion, right?
I don't know about needing guns to fight the government, but as @bobhikes pointed out, protest that isn't peaceful will lead to conflict and war, which is exactly what happened with the Tea Party. You want Americans to have another civil war?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I don't know about needing guns to fight the government, but as @bobhikes pointed out, protest that isn't peaceful will lead to conflict and war, which is exactly what happened with the Tea Party. You want Americans to have another civil war?
Hey, you're the guys who make such a big deal about the Boston Tea Party being such a good and great thing. Don't get mad at me when I point out the fundamental contradictions in your national psyche.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey, you're the guys who make such a big deal about the Boston Tea Party being such a good and great thing. Don't get mad at me when I point out the fundamental contradictions in your national psyche.
It's not a contradiction. One led to the independence of a nation. The other may lead to the splitting of the same nation.