• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a sin anymore???

Colt

So in short you have no evidence from the Bible that it’s not sin you just don’t like the Bible.
The Bible says, “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". I just got a haircut yesterday and in no sense did I feel guilty. The men who invented the Leviticus laws made such things "immoral" or sin if you prefer. All evolved religions have such man-made prohibitions which were made to appear as if they came from God when they didn't.

The bible simply reflects the prohibitions among the religious culture of the Israelites and in the time when it was written. The Jews today don't even practice many of the laws in the Torah.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the prejudice towards LGBT does what I find to be a great thing, and this is people leaving the church.

Agree. Likewise, this abortion thing will cause a lot of hardship and suffering for women, but the upside is exactly what you refer to. People are seeing what this church actually is as opposed to how it describes itself, and what it will do to them if allowed to. Does anybody actually believe that stuff about letting individual states decide abortion law? That's what you say when you undo the law making it legal everywhere while you're getting ready to criminalize it everywhere if possible. People see the Handmaid's Tale playing out in the news, and that will damage the church further in the eyes of the American public.

Has the tolerance of gays changed the sinner from the gay, to the Christian condemner?

It's a work in progress, but the answer is yes, eventually. The Christian definition of sin and virtue is being replaced by the humanist equivalents. We're seeing that play out here. I don't think that this discussion would have been possible a century ago, when people like Scopes went on trial for his blasphemy. If one claimed that Christian homophobia was bigotry in 1922, he could expect to be shouted down and maybe arrested. Nor will we see it a century from now, just as all of the biblical arguments for keeping slaves and preventing women from voting have disappeared.

I'm sure that you're familiar with the concept of the Overton window: "the range of policies politically acceptable to the mainstream population at a given time. It is also known as the window of discourse." This is a nice illustration of how that evolves.

I seen many dismiss what the Bible says. That’s nothing new. My challenge is to show when it changed.

I haven't seen that, but it's not surprising. Christianity is coming under attack increasingly more often as its critics' voices gain traction. It's in America where this religion is offending the greatest number of people living in western secular societies, and that is where this cultural war will be waged most visibly. If Christians are walking back the homophobic theology, it's likely for the same reason that they have been walking back hell theology, and why Republican politicians are walking back their extremist anti-antiabortion position - to adapt in order to remain viable. We've seen several threads on RF lately on this topic, with Christians on the defensive trying to justify this institutionalized bigotry. It's not a good look for them in a world that increasingly sees such attitudes as irrational and unjust.

It's how humanist values eventually reshape Christianity. It's why Christians no longer kill women as witches. It's why the scriptures against rising up against kings were ignored and subjects became free citizens. It's why there are secular governments at all. It's why there is freedom of (and from) religion. It's why many if not most Christians accept the theory of evolution and call the Genesis creation story mythology. It's why believers are changing the description of damnation from a fiery torture pit to separation from God. It's why many Christians are increasingly saying that unbelievers can be moral and even that some will be saved. It's why sex outside of marriage is legal. It's why the majority of Americans including Christians support reproductive freedom, and why the upcoming blowback to overturning Roe will be so fervent. People are increasingly less interested in Christian dicta and values.

And every one of those changes was for the betterment of mankind. Apparently, persecuting gays is hurting the church's public image, and some believers are getting tired of defending that doctrine, why some welcome and even ordain gays. These are progressive values.

Where did God change his mind on the issue of homosexual behavior? When did it become not a sin?

God's not here to express Himself. Every gets to decide for himself what's on His mind. When did God change his mind about monarchy? Exactly when people needed Him to - around the time of the American Revolution. The Bible is clear that man is to submit to kings by command: "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."- Romans 13:1-2 This became inconvenient in the eighteenth century. That's when God changed His mind. Not long after that, He changed His mind about killing witches. I'm not sure when He changed His mind about women speaking in church, but apparently, He did.

Yes, this is a bit tongue-in-cheek. These are all examples of men speaking for God. They are the mind of God. They always have been, since words were first attributed to God.

The kill the witch verse was badly translated.

And here you are trying to change the mind of God under the influence of humanist values, which considers the witch thing superstitious, cruel, and barbaric. Now, Christians like you agree, and revisionist apologetics deployed: "It never said that."

illegitimate sex outside of God’s design is rampant in the culture.

The culture is increasingly uninterested in what the church considers illegitimate sex. Its moral authority is increasingly being questioned. Christians see that as a mistake. Humanists see clinging to ancient moral values of ever diminishing relevance being the mistake. Isn't that what this thread is about - concern of the OP that man is headed in the wrong direction if he stops calling homosexuality sin, and a host of more modern thinking people rejecting that value?

Messianic Israelite

I see people claiming to be Christian who want homosexual behavior to not be a sin
My Bible says:

Thou shalt not lie with mankind … it is abomination, Lev. 18:22 (20:13).
There shall be no … sodomite of the sons of Israel, Deut. 23:17.
declare their sin as Sodom, Isa. 3:9
men … burned in their lust one toward another, Rom. 1:27.
nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 1 Cor. 6:9.
them that defile themselves with mankind, 1 Tim. 1:10.
as Sodom and Gomorrha … going after strange flesh, Jude 1:7.

Now I’m not calling for violence or mistreatment of anyone, but I am challenging those preaching this “other gospel” When did God change His mind on this being a sin?

Truth in love. Good afternoon. I find it puzzling too. I have no idea why some people who claim to believe in the Bible can support LGBT lifestyles. Yahweh has called it an abomination. And contrary to mainstream belief, the New Testament supports the keeping of the Biblical Law, such as Romans 7:12.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes.

If someone were to use only the parts of the bible that tickle his or her own prejudices, why not skip the bible part and go straight to the prejudices? Saves time and lowers the risk of hypocrisy.

If that's wrong, why isn't that person out there killing witches, something the bible specifically orders?
It's surely those damned, pesky secular laws that protect individual rights. Most Christians seems to accept that the US Constitution has more legal authority than the Bible. Is that a sin, too?

Truth in love

The Bible says, “Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". I just got a haircut yesterday and in no sense did I feel guilty. The men who invented the Leviticus laws made such things "immoral" or sin if you prefer. All evolved religions have such man-made prohibitions which were made to appear as if they came from God when they didn't.

The bible simply reflects the prohibitions among the religious culture of the Israelites and in the time when it was written. The Jews today don't even practice many of the laws in the Torah.

1. The specifics of the law of Moses came to an end. That was not the end to all commandments. The calling homosexual acts a sin is not limited to the OT.

2. I'm not going to spend time tacking shots at the Jews, but if I know a given commandment from God matters and I'm not really trying my best that going to be bad for me.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Truth in love. Good afternoon. I find it puzzling too. I have no idea why some people who claim to believe in the Bible can support LGBT lifestyles. Yahweh has called it an abomination. And contrary to mainstream belief, the New Testament supports the keeping of the Biblical Law, such as Romans 7:12.

Yet God allows people to choose their own path and I don't think it is up to Christians to force Christian morality onto others when it is restricting their freedom and we cannot show it is hurting anyone.

F1fan

Veteran Member
1. The specifics of the law of Moses came to an end. That was not the end to all commandments. The calling homosexual acts a sin is not limited to the OT.

2. I'm not going to spend time tacking shots at the Jews, but if I know a given commandment from God matters and I'm not really trying my best that going to be bad for me.
So you think Bible texts are God.

You don't have doubts that translations could be in error?

You don't consider that the texts are probably written by humans and it describes attitudes and beliefs of the time they were written?

You don't wonder why a prejudiced view of gays, and shellfish eaters, and mixed fiber wearers, would still be relevant in a modern era?

If the rules from God change how confident can you be in what you think is a sin today? Couldn't you be mistaken?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Or perhaps doing “gay stuff” is simply wrong, the fact that one doesn’t understand why is it wrong, doesn’t make it ok
And perhaps claiming that it is wrong based on nothing other than a roughly twenty-six century old collection of texts reflecting the cultural views of a pitifully small sliver of humanity is little more than homophobic nonsense.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The ancient world did not have modern science and medicine, like we have today, that can mop problems that modern human behavior often create. Back then, if you got AIDS there was no medical solution, so death would occur. Since the wage of sin was death, it was considered sinful based on natural cause and affect; observational. The math added up. They would identify behavior leading to death and call it sin.

Lots of diseases caused death. Did they also attribute this to sin?

Today, we can use science and medicine to overcome natural cause and affect and allow artificial behavior, that would have been deadly back in the day. We can give liver transplant to an alcoholic. The taboo against shellfish, for example, was simply due to lack of refrigeration, like we enjoy today. The Middle East was a hot place and the time between harvest and buying at the market and cooking could be deadly. Pigs carry parasites due to their omnivore nature. Pork needs to be cooked, thoroughly, to prevent deadly digestive issues. Too many people, back then, as today, preferred rare, which was very risky. It was safer for all, to just make it taboo.

This makes sense.

would expect the ancient people would be confused by everyone ordered to wear masks for COVID; invisible bugs. Back then only the women would cover their heads or faces to avoid angels being tempted. They may have thought men now have to wear masks, maybe become the angels have become gay. Different times and different preventive measures.

I never seen a reference that specifically said that lesbian behavior was taboo, since this is not typically a natural cause of disease and death. Polygamy was common. The lessons of the Bible are more gear against promiscuous and gay behavior, since both were a know source of evil spirits; disease, before we knew how to cheat natural cause and affect.

Many of the taboos were just against what the surrounding cultures engaged in. Other cultures engaged in homosexuality, pedophilia , ritual sex, etc. It was sin because they engaged in it in worshiping other gods, not necessarily just because. And back then, they assumed everyone was heterosexual. They did not like heterosexuals to engage in something not in their nature. Homosexuals engaging in heterosexuality, which is against their nature, might be a sin if they knew about orientation.

To help atheist understand the underlying nature of religious attitude about behavior, it was/is about natural behavior versus manmade behavior, made possible science and medicine. Natural was God's creation and manmade was from man. In modern times, we can alter men and women physically through medicine and surgery to get transgender. But this does not occur naturally. Humans do not undergo any form of natural metamorphosis that allows sex to change. The ancient traditions tried to stay natural and not just follow the latest fads that science and the free market might allow. Natural was God's creation while unnatural was of man which was less than perfect.

But sometimes things happen and the brain and body are not naturally the same. So isn't it better to fix it? We should fix where nature has variations. It's not a trend if people are truly LGBT.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Most compelling Bible evidence that "gay is okay" AND should not be judged:
1) First Commandment
2) Thou shall not judge

on the other hand that direction does not mean that I pretend that robbery, rape, murder etc are not sins.
It would be a good first step to:
a) "not judge the other one's (non) faith"
b) "not judge the other one's (non) feelings"

Here we talk about "gay...yes or no"?
Those are his feelings, none of your or my business. I assume you agree on that?

InChrist

Free4ever
Do you think these rules you believe in apply to all humans?

So Hindus are wrong, in your way of thinking?

So perhaps protestants were wrong to deviate from the Catholic Church?
Of course, the Creator’s rules apply to all. As I said though, people who are spiritually blind, in denial, or ignoring God can’t be expected to care about adhering to their Creator’s wisdom or instructions on how optimally operate their lives. That being the case, there will be malfunctions.
Hindus, Catholics, Christians, me, you, or anyone acting outside of God’s will and wisdom is wrong.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Most compelling Bible evidence that "gay is okay" AND should not be judged:
1) First Commandment
2) Thou shall not judge

on the other hand that direction does not mean that I pretend that robbery, rape, murder etc are not sins.
Exactly...those are violent acts committed to another person

Here we talk about one gay person loving another gay person

I do not understand, why do you bring in "robbery, rape, murder etc" into this context?
Feels very wrong, as if you place "being gay" into the same category

Here we talk about Christians (and others) who judge gay people just for their gay feelings
Bringing in sins like robbery, rape, murder at this point, feels that you
might imply that a homosexual (act, feeling) is also violence

I assume that was not intentional

Truth in love

It would be a good first step to:
a) "not judge the other one's (non) faith"
b) "not judge the other one's (non) feelings"

Here we talk about "gay...yes or no"?
Those are his feelings, none of your or my business. I assume you agree on that?

Im not worried about a given feeing. We all feel stuff. As best I can tell the Bible’s directions are mostly about actions.