• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a sin anymore???

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"black and white thinking"?

I gave you a definition with link.

You seem to be the one black and white thinking. Its only ok if you agree. Yet at the same time you have prejudice and special pleading because you have been involved in what we are discussing.
I'm pointing out various perspectives on this issue.
How is this prejudice and special pleading when your rebuttals have been so poor you brought up a fantasy book to refute what is essentially a form of journalism?
And you're calling me gay because I'm "black and white" for pointing out your dictionary definition would non applicable in so very many past cultures (let alone unheard of and unknown as a concept)?

We Never Know

No Slack
I'm pointing out various perspectives on this issue.
How is this prejudice and special pleading when your rebuttals have been so poor you brought up a fantasy book to refute what is essentially a form of journalism?
And you're calling me gay because I'm "black and white" for pointing out your dictionary definition would non applicable in so very many past cultures (let alone unheard of and unknown as a concept)?

Poor?? I understand you have done both so you have to defend both. Thats you, not me.

Here's a fact. Again!

Not to mention.....a bj is oral sex, it is sexual activity

Homosexual:
of, relating to, or involving sexual activity between people of the same sex

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Poor?? I understand you have done both so you have to defend both. Thats you, not me.

Here's a fact. Again!

Not to mention.....a bj is oral sex, it is sexual activity

Homosexual:
of, relating to, or involving sexual activity between people of the same sex

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL
homosexual - Wiktionary
Borrowed from German Homosexual, from homo- (“same”) + sexual (“relating to sex or sexuality”), coined by Karl Maria Kertbeny in 1868, and popularized in Richard von Krafft-Ebing's 1886 Psychopathia Sexualis (in German) and Charles Gilbert Chaddock's 1892 English translation thereof (compare bisexual), displacing the slightly older term Uranian. Equivalent to homo- +‎ -sexual.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Speaking of Christ's sacrifice and how it affects mankind:
"It was by faith Abel offered to God more of a sacrifice than Cain, through which he had himself attested to be righteous, God testifying over his gifts; and it is through it he still speaks after he dies."
Abel was born from a set of imperfect parents, their genes were no longer in the "live forever" stage, thus Abel and Cain inherited those genes. Jesus was born without the genetic overpowering of sin. Yet he was tempted but did not give in.

leroy

No, being gay is widely accepted as a natural inclination, in humans and other animals. Any disagreement tends to come from religious prejudice, not reason.
Irrelevant you can not use "natural inclination " to justify doing immoral stuff.

leroy

Then you have painted yourself into a corner that your reasoning faculty could have rescued you from had you not subverted it to protect your faith-based beliefs. I dropped number 1 above. I did. Now, I'm left with 2 and 3, which are compatible once one rejects scripture as a moral authority.
Sure but one can't (or shouldn't) reject number 1 (the Bible is an authority)...just because one doesn't like it...... one is suppose to reject "1" on the basis of arguments and evidence, not on the basis of Personal preferences.

Then you have painted yourself into a corner
Yes, but these "corners" are child play compared to the cornering that non_theists have to deal with

For example
, and my conscience tells me that that is irrational bigotry

, humanists assume that the conscience is the source of moral guidance, and the consensus of rational ethicists is the proper moral authority against which other moral systems ought to be judged. .

Why should a non theist (which I assume it includes you) trust his consciousness? Why do you trust a whole bunch of electrical impulses in your brain that evolved through the process of natural selection?

At best your consciousness would be a good guide to determine is something is selectively positive for the survival of our species, but it doesn't tell you if something is morally good or not.

Why do you trust your consciousness when determinig if being gay is inmoral or not if consciousness was caused by a mechanism that was not even trying to produce a moral guide?

Premise 1 consciousness evolved through random mutations and natural selection

Premise 2 random mutations and natural selection dont aim at good moral values

Therefore consciousness doest tell you if something is immoral or not.

If you accept these 2 premises you have to accept the conclusion .... so why do you trust your consciousness as a good guide for morality?
... please if you are not willing to answer this question (above in red) please let me know in your next reply so that I don't have to repeat the question over and over again

So sure I agree that Bible believing Christians have hard obstacles , and have to deal with hard questions that offten seem impossible to answer..... but these are minor burdens compared to what non theist have to deal with. (Being consciousness one if many problems that non theist have)

And Ofcourse i made 2 assumptions in this post, I assumed that you are a non theist, and that you accept the theory of evolution by natural selection, if my assumptions are wrong please correct me.

leroy

Yes, same sex attraction and pedophilia are natural inclinations in those who have them. The argument for tolerating homosexuality is not based in it being natural, but in it being harmless among consenting adults behind closed doors, unlike sex with minors. There is no rational or compassionate argument against homosexuality, just religious ones.
Ok so we agree, the "its a natural inclination " is a bad argument

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It’s Gods call not mine. If people want to know for sure from God they are all encouraged to find out.

The alternative of not having a set point of communication is mass confusion.

But how sure are you that you are receiving correct communication from a valid prophet? So far, you have only stated that it is because your prophet is from your church. That's only confirmation bias. What about other prophets from other churches and even other religions?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sure but one can't (or shouldn't) reject number 1 (the Bible is an authority)...just because one doesn't like it...... one is suppose to reject "1" on the basis of arguments and evidence, not on the basis of Personal preferences.

My reasons for rejecting the Bible as an authoritative source ARE based in evidence.

Why should a non theist (which I assume includes you) trust his consciousness? Why do you trust a whole bunch of electrical impulses in your brain that evolved through the process of natural selection?

Conscience, not consciousness. I trust it because it has served as a more reliable guide for making decisions about right and wrong than any other source. Also, its urges are compelling. Disobeying them leads to a kind of suffering - shame, guilt, regret, etc.

I used to trust the Bible, but it's moral advice just didn't resonate with me. Its versions of love, mercy, and justice aren't mine. It is inadequate for dealing with modern ethical issues. It's advice on slavery is inadequate. Its sexual mores reflect another time and way of living that are no longer relevant today. It's view of women is ancient and obsolete, presently manifesting in the States as a Handmaid's Tale dystopia. My conscience advises me better than the book.

Therefore, consciousness doesn't tell you if something is immoral or not.

This is an unsound syllogism. It commits a fallacy of composition, which occurs when one assumes that the qualities present at one scale exist at all scales. Conscience is an emergent phenomenon not found in its components the way life is an emergent phenomenon not found in any of its chemicals. Consider the wetness of liquid water. No water molecule is wet. Wetness emerges at a larger scale.

Natural selection applied to genetic variation in populations over generations leads to forms and behaviors of increasing complexity over geological time that facilitate propagation of the population. Whatever arises through genetic variation that does this will be selected for. It is not a random process. Only the genetic variation is random. The natural selection is directed naturalistically toward greater fecundity, which is facilitated by certain types of social interactions that promote communal well-being. This is the origin of the Golden Rule, which has arisen independently in multiole human cultures

I assumed that you are a non-theist, and that you accept the theory of evolution by natural selection, if my assumptions are wrong, please correct me.

You are correct. I am a humanist. My metaphysics is naturalistic (no supernaturalism), my epistemology is empirical (no faith), and my moral code derives from the application of reason to my moral intuitions, which are constructive.

Ok so we agree, the "its a natural inclination " is a bad argument

It's not my argument. I agree that not all natural inclinations are desirable. Homosexuality and pedophilia are both natural inclinations, but one harms people and needs to be suppressed. This would be a good example of where I leave biblical ethics behind. The Bible says nothing about pedophilia specifically, but it forbids homosexuality. Why? That was a world that promoted fecundity. Its children often died before maturity, its women died in childbirth, its men died in war, and everybody died from untreatable infectious diseases. So, any womb ready to carry a child was ready for sex whatever the age, but non-procreative activities like homosexuality (and refusing sex to a husband, and the rhythm method, and masturbation) were forbidden.

Those rules promoted keeping populations up. Today, overpopulation is the problem. That's what I mean about much of biblical morality being about another kind of life, and not only no longer relevant today, but being counterproductive. That's why the rational ethics of humanism work better than the crystallized, received ethics from the past.

I hope you'll make a deliberate effort to address all of the elements of this post. I will assume that any point made that you don't indicate disagreement with is one you accept, and discussion on that point has reached its natural end and resolution. I've done that with your post. I have quoted and responded to every point that I didn't agree with and explained why. And regarding the point that I did agree with that you asked about, the one immediately above, I answered it. Will you return that courtesy and explain why you disagree with every comment in this post with which you disagree? I require it from you to continue doing the same for you. It's where things broke down between us last time, and why I began refusing to address issues of interest to you. Either this is a two-way discussion or neither way. Either we each respect what's on the mind of the other, or neither of us will. Fair enough?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Irrelevant you can not use "natural inclination " to justify doing immoral stuff.
Sure we can. And decent society does. Homosexuality is acceptable by most all civilized people, but it is shallow minded believers of Abrahamic religions that want to hold on to their prejudices. You are justifying your prejudice just as slave owners justified slavery because it was allowed in the Bible. It is humanism that guides Western societies towards more moral attitudes and tolerance. It isn't Christianity, nor Islam. We are seeing protests in Iran because theose religious leaders impose literalist moral beliefs onto all society, and the people have had enough.

What I find absurd about Christian extremists is that they seldom argue for helping the poor, aiding the sick, expanding healthcare in the USA, opposing poverty and suggesting more equal pay, helping sustain education, etc. It's as if Christian extremists are more concerned about sex their neighbors are having instead of what Jesus taught. And these extremists are dumbfounded by criticsms and just don't get it. They don't get that their beliefs are contrary to what Jesus taught, and don't follow Jesus.

Truth in love

But how sure are you that you are receiving correct communication from a valid prophet? So far, you have only stated that it is because your prophet is from your church. That's only confirmation bias. What about other prophets from other churches and even other religions?

Each person may receive answers from God.

not unlike a basic science experiment. Your teacher tell you you can mix vinegar and soda. You go home and try it and then you have evidence that you did not have.
It’s not just personal whim or wishful thinking as many try to describe it.

It is experiencing things.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, but these "corners" are child play compared to the cornering that non_theists have to deal with
Why should a non theist (which I assume it includes you) trust his consciousness? Why do you trust a whole bunch of electrical impulses in your brain that evolved through the process of natural selection?
At best your consciousness would be a good guide to determine is something is selectively positive for the survival of our species, but it doesn't tell you if something is morally good or not.
Why do you trust your consciousness when determining if being gay is immoral or not if consciousness was caused by a mechanism that was not even trying to produce a moral guide?
Therefore consciousness doest tell you if something is immoral or not.
If you accept these 2 premises you have to accept the conclusion .... so why do you trust your consciousness as a good guide for morality?
... please if you are not willing to answer this question (above in red) please let me know in your next reply so that I don't have to repeat the question over and over again
In what way non-theists are cornered?
Consciousness depends upon, bringing up (in Sanskrit known as Samskaras), education and experience of life. We act according to that. These form our morals.