• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not a sin anymore???

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The Bible clearly reflects cultural biases, thus is not objective history. What consensual adults do in bed is none of my business.
It's God's business, that is if you believe in the Bible. And of course, as can be seen here, there are atheistic people that 'belong' to a religion of one sort or another. :)

Brian2

Veteran Member
Is the topic how some Christians are seeking support and validation to remain bigots in a world that is getting more tolerant of diversity?

The thread is showing that those Christians are more tolerant than many Christians of previous generations and that some people are becoming more bigoted against and less tolerant of Christianity.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I love you as one the most important posters. I love you, God loves you more. I believe people are what the gender on their birth certificate states, sometimes with, dealing with what is clearly a female, she insists she is a a man , I will call her male titles, if she asks me to, because I want to respect her and feel sorry for her.
Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean. Is this someone you know personally?

YoursTrue

The Bible never says it's a sin to love someone. God never did, either. David and Jonathan certainly seemed to have a love that bordered on the homoerotic, at the very least. Indeed, it was described as "surpassing the love of women" (2 Samuel 1:26). Do I think they had sex or whatever? No. But they certainly seemed to have deep affections for each other that aren't shameful.
I think you have that mistaken. Some people might think the love Jonathan and David had for one another was bordering on homosexuality or was homosexual, but not everyone sees it that way. Before I heard that analysis and reading the biblical account, I never thought that way. They had great love/affection for each other. To the point of risking their lives for each other. Almost like a father-son, brother relationship. Few would consider them homosexuals if their love was very great for one another.

YoursTrue

Thanks, but I'm not sure what you mean. Is this someone you know personally?
I have done some research on this, and there are some born biologically as males but because their vital organs were damaged at birth doctors literally finished them off in their infancy as males and tried to make them females. Sad but true. Some of those men who were forced by "scientists" to be women committed suicide. Sad, very very sad.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I suppose I'll never understand why some Christians appear to be concerned or obsessed with the love lives of homosexuals. To be honest, I find that quite disturbing. As far as I'm concerned, what two consenting adults do behind the closed doors of their bedroom is none of my business, whether the couple is gay or straight. Personally, I think these Christians should be more concerned about the plank in their own eye before they worry about the speck of dust in the eye of a homosexual. Simply put, mind your own business.

I don't think Christians are concerned about what goes on in the bedroom of people but there is concern about what the Bible teaches about homosexuality and what the Church should be teaching about it.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Things that matter? as mankind continues to kill itself, pollute the waterways, threaten nuclear war with their scientific achievements? Spend billions on outer space exploration maybe to continue the massacre?

Sadly, just knowing more doesn't always mean the right thing will be done. It is extremely sad that we are so advanced, yet not fervent enough to try to make sure these things decrease.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The thread is showing that those Christians are more tolerant than many Christians of previous generations and that some people are becoming more bigoted against and less tolerant of Christianity.

The backward ones are becoming more emboldened, and people see those Christians instead of the ones minding their businesses and loving their neighbors. The squeaky wheels are getting the grease and that's how they like it.

Messianic Israelite

Yet God allows people to choose their own path and I don't think it is up to Christians to force Christian morality onto others when it is restricting their freedom and we cannot show it is hurting anyone.

Hi Brian2. Good afternoon. The Biblical Laws have been commanded by a Mighty One whose thoughts are very deep (Psalm 92:5). Although every person is a free moral agent, and we cannot force people to obey the Bible, the Bible is clear in showing that homosexuality is an abomination. But you ask another pertinent question. Is homosexuality hurting anyone? Yes it is. Gay men get human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) at higher rates than other groups for many reasons. It is easier to transmit the virus during anal sex than during vaginal sex, for example. There is also a high rate of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among men having sex with men. Further, the World Health Organization declared monkeypox to be a global health emergency, and said the outbreak “is concentrated among men who have sex with men, especially those with multiple sexual partners”. This makes sense: all the evidence suggests that the outbreak is highly concentrated among men who have sex with men, and the virus is overwhelmingly transmitted through sexual contact. But even as that has become abundantly clear, there has still been a curious reticence in much of the public health messaging about saying so.

Truth in love

It clearly shows that fallible humans have made claims about what is sinful, but that's hardly an indication that any god being actually considers them to be sinful.

Right God picks men, they speak for him, stuff get written down. "no indication whatsoever"

Do me a favor and take a hike. This is a discussion on what the Bible says no a "I hate the Bible I want to whine about it thread"

F1fan

Veteran Member
You know, you have centuries of writing and history about the people of Israel. It's possible you could be mistaken in your beliefs, isn't it?
So you honed in on my point that you could be mistaken and attempt to switch it to me. I'm not the one who thinks magic is real, and that supernatural beings live in the clouds. I asked you if you could be mistaken in your beliefs that not only have no evidence, but are also contrary to what we experience of reality.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Right God picks men, they speak for him, stuff get written down. "no indication whatsoever"

Do me a favor and take a hike. This is a discussion on what the Bible says no a "I hate the Bible I want to whine about it thread"
Look at the protests in Iran. More and more citiuzens are getting tired of authoritarian religious rules and pushing back. Christian extremists in the USA are trying to ban abortion access, and the citizens are sick of it. Republicans look to possibly lose in the midterms, at least the senate. All this "sin" being enforced for poiltical control over citizens, and citizens are sick of it. This is why the Founding Fathers framed the establishment claus in the Constitution, that separated religion from governing. Religious extremists want power and control, and they are just pushing societies to more unrest.

So "what the Bible says" is being used by people in power to impose unpopular rules. So get used to pushback, and efforts to limit your "moral" views to your religious tribe, and not applicable to free citizens.

QuestioningMind

Interestingly enough, people in general consider stealing a sin. I mean no matter, atheists and groups of various kinds consider stealing bad (sin?), right?
Actually no... a 'sin' is defined as a crime against god. If in fact there is no god then there is no 'sin'. I consider many acts to be immoral, but in that I have no belief in any god, I don't consider anything to be sinful.

QuestioningMind

How sad that when I point out that your book is just a book with no evidence that it was influenced by any god being that you're only response is to childishly claim that I must HATE the bible and that I'm WHINING about your thread. Seems to me that it's you who HATE the fact that you can't defend your book and your WHINING about the fact that I keep pointing it out.

If you don't want to defend what you post in your thread then stop making threads.

Truth in love

How sad that when I point out that your book is just a book with no evidence that it was influenced by any god being that you're only response is to childishly claim that I must HATE the bible and that I'm WHINING about your thread. Seems to me that it's you who HATE the fact that you can't defend your book and your WHINING about the fact that I keep pointing it out.

If you don't want to defend what you post in your thread then stop making threads.
Your miles off topic. If I had a thread about exponent and you come in arguing that 2+2=4 has never been proven, how is that a thing?

YoursTrue

Actually no... a 'sin' is defined as a crime against god. If in fact there is no god then there is no 'sin'. I consider many acts to be immoral, but in that I have no belief in any god, I don't consider anything to be sinful.
oh.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
We know more about medicine, psychology, the universe, etc. Lots of things that matter.
I doubt we know anymore about the phyche... ancient wisdom is in many cases a lot deeper than what passes for wisdom now.
And knowing the location of planets etc isn't really helpful in life.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hi Brian2. Good afternoon. The Biblical Laws have been commanded by a Mighty One whose thoughts are very deep (Psalm 92:5). Although every person is a free moral agent, and we cannot force people to obey the Bible, the Bible is clear in showing that homosexuality is an abomination. But you ask another pertinent question. Is homosexuality hurting anyone? Yes it is. Gay men get human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) at higher rates than other groups for many reasons. It is easier to transmit the virus during anal sex than during vaginal sex, for example. There is also a high rate of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among men having sex with men. Further, the World Health Organization declared monkeypox to be a global health emergency, and said the outbreak “is concentrated among men who have sex with men, especially those with multiple sexual partners”. This makes sense: all the evidence suggests that the outbreak is highly concentrated among men who have sex with men, and the virus is overwhelmingly transmitted through sexual contact. But even as that has become abundantly clear, there has still been a curious reticence in much of the public health messaging about saying so.
Are you going to sneak into bedrooms to see whom is with whom?

IOW, maybe decide to let others make their own choices that don't involve you.