• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norway mosque shooting an 'attempted act of terror', police say

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
‘Norwegian police said Sunday that a shooting at a mosque near Oslo is being treated as an "attempted act of terror" and that the suspected gunman harbours far-right, anti-immigrant views.

The suspect entered the mosque in the affluent Oslo suburb of Baerum on Saturday armed with multiple weapons and opened fire before being overpowered by a 65-year-old man who suffered minor injuries.

Hours after the attack, the body of a young woman was found in a home in Baerum and police on Sunday confirmed that it was the suspect's 17-year-old stepsister. Investigators launched a murder investigation into the death.’

Read more here: Norway mosque shooting an 'attempted act of terror', police say

It's all a myth, you see.

'Don't go to Walmart next week': White supremacist arrested for threatening shooting

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't care about the deterrent argument since there will always be killers, but it should an option to remove the monsters among us like Brevik. He probably won't even be in jail for the rest of his life. Outrageous!
I certainly agree. But you know, I also think sometimes people need to learn life lessons the hard way.

dianaiad

I don't care about the deterrent argument since there will always be killers, but it should an option to remove the monsters among us like Brevik. He probably won't even be in jail for the rest of his life. Outrageous!

The death penalty isn't really (or shouldn't really) be about punishment. It should be about removing a threat to innocent lives. As in...if the guy on death row would, if freed, go kill someone, then perhaps killing him is the best thing for everybody.

Me...I'm nastier than that. I do believe in punishment. I want people who deliberately commit murder to spend a very long time in a concrete cell. With nothing to do. Nobody to talk to. For the rest of, hopefully, a very long life.

I do NOT believe that a deliberate murderer (especially one whose motive is not , er, 'personal,' will ever be safe to let out on the streets, so something has to be done about him or her to make certain that opportunity never exists again. IMO, the death penalty is the easy way out.

But...I'm vindictive, as I mentioned. No death penalty.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I've never been in prison either. But I know people that have been. Free room/board, free medical, free dental, free food, etc and most aren't locked in a cell all day alone. They have recreation time which includes basketball, weight lifting, handball, cable TV, etc.

All that paid for by tax payers, which include friends and family of the victim helps pay for all that free stuff they get.

Stop whining. We pay for things that we don't agree with here in the states, it happens.

whirlingmerc

‘Norwegian police said Sunday that a shooting at a mosque near Oslo is being treated as an "attempted act of terror" and that the suspected gunman harbours far-right, anti-immigrant views.

The suspect entered the mosque in the affluent Oslo suburb of Baerum on Saturday armed with multiple weapons and opened fire before being overpowered by a 65-year-old man who suffered minor injuries.

Hours after the attack, the body of a young woman was found in a home in Baerum and police on Sunday confirmed that it was the suspect's 17-year-old stepsister. Investigators launched a murder investigation into the death.’

These shootings are very sad.

whirlingmerc

These shootings are very sad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What's weird to me is that it seems I spend 50% of my time agreeing with you and 50% of my time thinking you're 100% wrong. This is one of those on the 'agree' side of the ledger.
If you'd just agree with me all the time,
life would be easier for you.
And there would be doggie treats.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I just wanted to add that I don't think even all murderers should be executed, just the psychopathic types who do it out of sadism or the terrorists. For example, I don't think the female serial killer Aileen Wuornos should have been executed. She was obviously mentally ill and had an extremely horrible life. She should've been placed in a mental institution and helped. I think what happened to her was an injustice, but I don't excuse what she did, either. But someone like Ted Bundy, who killed for fun and never took responsibility for his crimes? Fry 'em.

Frankie, I think you and I are of an accord on this. It would be a small minority of murderers for me, but some I'd prefer to be quickly and as humanely as possibly ended.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think i answered that already. If you kill someone then yes you are a murderer. Or should i call it killer.

If you kill someone, by definition you're a killer.
It's fine if you think all killers are bad. Some here won't agree, with me definitely being one.

Murder, on the other hand, is a legal definition society can determine.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The death penalty isn't really (or shouldn't really) be about punishment. It should be about removing a threat to innocent lives. As in...if the guy on death row would, if freed, go kill someone, then perhaps killing him is the best thing for everybody.

Me...I'm nastier than that. I do believe in punishment. I want people who deliberately commit murder to spend a very long time in a concrete cell. With nothing to do. Nobody to talk to. For the rest of, hopefully, a very long life.

I do NOT believe that a deliberate murderer (especially one whose motive is not , er, 'personal,' will ever be safe to let out on the streets, so something has to be done about him or her to make certain that opportunity never exists again. IMO, the death penalty is the easy way out.

But...I'm vindictive, as I mentioned. No death penalty.
It's not about punishment, it's about justice. I don't support psychological or physical torture.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I certainly agree. But you know, I also think sometimes people need to learn life lessons the hard way.
Brevik will never have any remorse for what he did. He's a psychopath and his diagnoses confirm that. So keeping him locked up isn't going to teach him anything.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you kill someone, by definition you're a killer.
It's fine if you think all killers are bad. Some here won't agree, with me definitely being one.

Murder, on the other hand, is a legal definition society can determine.
A car accident don't make you a killer. if you shoot someone or put a knif in them and they die, then ou by definition is a killer

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Brevik will never have any remorse for what he did. He's a psychopath and his diagnoses confirm that. So keeping him locked up isn't going to teach him anything.

True. But sometimes I think for other people to learn that lesson, is the simply release him when is time is up. Eventually he will go on a killing spree, and then people will learn their lesson the hard way. That's what I meant earlier about it.

While I abhor capital punishment, I have come to the conclusion that it has to be done sometimes.

I've known of no psychopath that has ever become reformed to my knowledge.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think i answered that already. If you kill someone then yes you are a murderer. Or should i call it killer.
A killer, not a murderer. Murder is the illegal taking of a life. If done legally by definition it is not murder.

I oppose the death penalty because it is impossible to undo in the case of an error. If one could be guaranteed that the person was guilty I might change my mind.